Hey @JB how has your spin been on these, I know you have OL, but I’m curious. Specifically the 7 if you can recall?
Check out my update yesterday in the OL thread. I posted some screen shots of spin.

Check out my update yesterday in the OL thread. I posted some screen shots of spin.
Thank you.

Im spinning this 7i a little lower than I expected with the Tour90, but it’s not crazy thanks to the peak and the descent

So yes, I did this today.

FBF7D52C-EB29-4ADF-B169-A8235F187053.jpeg

And yes, this is me “getting after it” a bit to see what I could get the speed up to. More typical swings are coming in 184-185 and 4900-5100.

Thoughts on this 7i. They’re LONG. Longer than I hit the SZ’s. Still firm, but it’s a feedback of power.

Is the spin on the lower side? Sure. But with the peak and descent it’s a non issue.

View attachment 8980763

And yes, this is me “getting after it” a bit to see what I could get the speed up to. More typical swings are coming in 184-185 and 4900-5100.

Thoughts on this 7i. They’re LONG. Longer than I hit the SZ’s. Still firm, but it’s a feedback of power.

Is the spin on the lower side? Sure. But with the peak and descent it’s a non issue.

View attachment 8980763

I also want to add, comparatively my MIM 7i is 174-175 carry with 5900-6100 spin.

Different beasts, both hitting peaks in the same 37.5 yard realm.

I also want to add, comparatively my MIM 7i is 174-175 carry with 5900-6100 spin.

Different beasts, both hitting peaks in the same 37.5 yard realm.
That is a lot of added ball speed power from the RADs.

That is a lot of added ball speed power from the RADs.
Definitely. Yes, they’re big time different lofts, but it’s the profile and design that’s the most different. Both hitting the same peaks is what’s most telling to me. Pretty wild.

View attachment 8980763

I understand that the peak helps but that low spin number scares me a little. Hitting it that far sounds like a heck of a lot of fun though.

I understand that the peak helps but that low spin number scares me a little. Hitting it that far sounds like a heck of a lot of fun though.
Why? That descent will sit down just fine, and hold pretty much any green.

Can you hit a 5 iron and hold a green? If so then this would be a non issue. Combine that with an angle of descent that works and they roll out very little

Definitely. Yes, they’re big time different lofts, but it’s the profile and design that’s the most different. Both hitting the same peaks is what’s most telling to me. Pretty wild.
how the ball gets to that peak is really crazy to think about between the two. Great case study for loft, launch, spin and speed. Is there appreciable club head speed differences for you?

Why? That descent will sit down just fine, and hold pretty much any green.
Can you hit a 5 iron and hold a green? If so then this would be a non issue. Combine that with an angle of descent that works and they roll out very little

I guess I'm thinking about the conditions that I play in around here. It's rare that we don't have a pretty stiff breeze to deal with and in my case I tend to like a little lower wind-fighting ball flight that spins more and holds.

But now it has me wondering what would be impacted by hitting in to the wind more, high peak height or higher spin?

That's a beast of a 7i. Wow.

And I might have to send a message to my guy @Hoosiermess about snagging one of those sets of OL to try out :unsure:

I guess I'm thinking about the conditions that I play in around here. It's rare that we don't have a pretty stiff breeze to deal with and in my case I tend to like a little lower wind-fighting ball flight that spins more and holds.

But now it has me wondering what would be impacted by hitting in to the wind more, high peak height or higher spin?
The lower spin is going to hold the wind better, and down wind there isn’t the impact you think because the height still allows the descent to hold more than adequately.

Also, this one has been plenty flightable for me.

how the ball gets to that peak is really crazy to think about between the two. Great case study for loft, launch, spin and speed. Is there appreciable club head speed differences for you?
Some with the lighter shaft in the RAD, but it’s not crazy.

The lower spin is going to hold the wind better, and down wind there isn’t the impact you think because the height still allows the descent to hold more than adequately.

Also, this one has been plenty flightable for me.
It sounds like I need to adjust my way of thinking that I've had for years about spin.

It sounds like I need to adjust my way of thinking that I've had for years about spin.
I think many are stuck on the old number of the iron in hand x 1,000 as their baseline and that’s just SO antiquated based on the designs we are seeing now. Not saying that’s where you are, but it’s a common thing.

Peak and descent angle are, imo, king.

That's a beast of a 7i. Wow.

And I might have to send a message to my guy @Hoosiermess about snagging one of those sets of OL to try out :unsure:
I got ya buddy, if you want to try some out we can definitely make it happen.

I need spin to get the peak height that will result in proper landing angles. If that makes sense.

Reactions: KEV
I need spin to get the peak height that will result in proper landing angles. If that makes sense.
Depends on iron design. While spin is not a negative, different iron designs will launch the ball differently.

Depends on iron design. While spin is not a negative, different iron designs will launch the ball differently.
Was actually about to comment something very similar to this. So much variance across designs, so so so much.

This was what I was told when I did a ball fitting with Titleist. So that was keeping the club aspect constant.

The club aspect in Jman example really highlights what the same ball can do based on those club designs.

I've been all out busy the last week and have at least 5 pages worth of catching up in here. But posting because I'm lurking, and need a RADSpeed fix!

Back