any fishermen here?

pinseeker

"Non renunciare mai quello che desideri"
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
looking to get back in to fishing after a very long hiatus. I have ordered the following:
Penn Battle II 4000 spin reel
Ugly Stick Elite 6 ft 6 in rod
20# Braid

Might need shock line (Mono) and/or regular leader (mono or FC)
not sure of weight of each. assorted lures, spoons, swim baits, live anchovies or smelt, sardines, maybe ghost shrimp, gulp. Hook assortment J, Circle, 1.0 2.0 3.0, eggs, pyramids, slides, swivels, halibut rigs and???

Types of fishing: jetty, rocks, inshore lagoons, possibly some surf (but would need longer rod).
later on, sport fishing boat (off Shore YT, Dorado, small tuna/jacks.)

I had not picked up a rod in 10 years until my kid decided he wanted to fish. Ended up with a new(to me) bass boat, 6 new rods and reels, and a ton of tackle by the end of the summer. Still haven’t told the wife that the boat in the driveway doesn’t actually belong to my buddy that dropped it off. Timing is important on these matters!

I am a fishermen but not that kind. I am more a lake and river guy. I only hit the surf on vacation in Delaware.

I am a fishermen but not that kind. I am more a lake and river guy. I only hit the surf on vacation in Delaware.
I used to, but many lakes around here are really city/county reservoirs, stocked trout, bass, catfish. A couple larger natural lakes with Florida Bass. No natural streams, creeks. Colorado River not that far though. ande of course there is Baja.

I fish far more than I golf, but I'm a long way from the salt so I wouldn't be much help.

Inshore saltwater is my game. Enjoy offshore but it is a much longer day.

Redfish, flounder, trout, sheepshead are targets.

Inshore saltwater is my game. Enjoy offshore but it is a much longer day.

Redfish, flounder, trout, sheepshead are targets.
what are thoughts on braid to mono/floro sizes?

forum change noted - thanks

what are thoughts on braid to mono/floro sizes?
I think I use 20lb braid and 20 mono leader most of the time, with a uni knot

You will need leaders on your braid - when you get hung in the rocks or snag it's hard to break off 20# braid. Plus it's hard to knot, so better to just tie to a leader.

Use a sliding sinker and fish won't feel when they pick up the bait. Consider going out with a guide in the bay/lagoon/inshore fishery you plan on fishing most often - you can pick their brain, and you can cover a lot of territory compared to walking and carrying your gear.

Have fun!

You will need leaders on your braid - when you get hung in the rocks or snag it's hard to break off 20# braid. Plus it's hard to knot, so better to just tie to a leader.

Use a sliding sinker and fish won't feel when they pick up the bait. Consider going out with a guide in the bay/lagoon/inshore fishery you plan on fishing most often - you can pick their brain, and you can cover a lot of territory compared to walking and carrying your gear.

Have fun!
yah, thats what I am thinking 20# Braid, swivel ,- 30# mono,sliding sinker , 15# FC to terminal end

Careful going too heavy...if you do get hung up it will be tough to break off without cutting and losing the line

Careful going too heavy...if you do get hung up it will be tough to break off without cutting and losing the line
yah, catch 22, heavy enough for abrasion, but light enough for break off/

yah, catch 22, heavy enough for abrasion, but light enough for break off/
I fish for big carp and cats and use 30lb braid...I got hung up a few times and thought I was going to tear my reel off the rod trying to get it out

I fish for big carp and cats and use 30lb braid...I got hung up a few times and thought I was going to tear my reel off the rod trying to get it out
haha and how bout those good ol boys hand fishing in cat holes?

yah, thats what I am thinking 20# Braid, swivel ,- 30# mono,sliding sinker , 15# FC to terminal end
I used to always downsize the line if not getting bit. I'd rather get bites and lose some rather than not getting bit. It's harder than you think to get broken off on 6# test if you watch for nicks in the leader. If you go to a specialty fishing shop like Fisherman's Access in Brea, they can give you plenty of ideas and advice. They also typically have group charters and outings which are a lot more fun than a cattle boat.

I used to always downsize the line if not getting bit. I'd rather get bites and lose some rather than not getting bit. It's harder than you think to get broken off on 6# test if you watch for nicks in the leader. If you go to a specialty fishing shop like Fisherman's Access in Brea, they can give you plenty of ideas and advice. They also typically have group charters and outings which are a lot more fun than a cattle boat.
thats a good idea. Only really good shop close by is Turners, and another whose name I forget in Vista, CA (Red's tackle?)

I have enough tackle to call myself one! But I haven't been much since the kids were born.

We have a pond now, and I did hook a small largemouth on top a couple weeks ago. That was a nice feeling that I haven't had in a long time.

I am almost 100% positive fish are extinct.

I frequent Lake Mead quite often through out the year. Striped Bass, Large Mouth Bass, Small Mouth Bass. Catfish, some Tilapia, and the ever present Carp. I even catch released aquarium fish some times.

We use make trips to Southern Utah for trout fishing. Have not done that in while.

Strictly catch and release for me.

Right now catching is a little on the slow side.

Fellow angler here. Taking a break since the last 4 times i've gone out, I skunked. :cry:

Back