Great video and thanks for the demonstration!

Here's a little demo video I put together today. Hope it is helpful.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the video (and for the thread BTW - I was just getting ready to start one & ask about it!)

One question I have: As I understand it, you're supposed to squeeze the board between your feet, correct?

How far into your swing do you consciously maintain this sense of squeezing the board? Obviously your back foot comes up at some point.

Of course they're not, but that doesn't mean some of us can't find amusement in some of the prices for some of these golf training aids :)

In my boating days it was the same thing: Tack the words "boat" or "marine" on something and the price goes way up.

It's the same in the educational field. At some school systems I worked at, you had to buy everything through approved sites & it always burned me up that we were forced to pay $105 for a product featured on an "educational stuff" site that was selling for $20 on Amazon (which we couldn't use)

I made one out of plywood like BH used at the beginning. The DUB is just a way better way to train. I bought the black and white combo before the 2.0. If I feel productive, Iβ€˜ll modify the two boards into the 2.0 version.
ps. I always scratch my head at people who ridicule the price of something. You can either make your own like I did, or pay for someone to perfect an idea. Nobody’s forcing you to buy anything.

Is there anything that your home made plywood board can't do that the DUB does (or does better)?

on my short list of new golf related items.

Thanks for posting the video (and for the thread BTW - I was just getting ready to start one & ask about it!)

One question I have: As I understand it, you're supposed to squeeze the board between your feet, correct?

How far into your swing do you consciously maintain this sense of squeezing the board? Obviously your back foot comes up at some point.

For me, I try to feel it to, but not through, impact. My thought is to create as much stability as possible.

Also, this device has helped me to realize that my knees and hips (right hip and knee, in particular) are set up slightly ahead of my left knee and hip. This puts me in a deficit from the start relative to my swing flaw of moving into the ball. I am now consciously putting my right (back) foot about and inch or two behind to square up the knees and hips. It helps, for sure.

Hoping the Doc got me one for Christmas.

It's the same in the educational field. At some school systems I worked at, you had to buy everything through approved sites & it always burned me up that we were forced to pay $105 for a product featured on an "educational stuff" site that was selling for $20 on Amazon (which we couldn't use)
I agree to a point. I'm in education as well. In this case, the larger investment leads to a durable product. Keep in mind that you would need a 2" thick piece of plywood to match the depth (height) of the downunder board. Add in the adjustability and the investment is well worth it, in my opinion.

Kinda like buying a usb camera from a generic brand for $20 versus something from a known brand for $50. The extra money is worth it for quality and for the fact that you don't have to buy a new one in 6 months.

Keep in mind that you would need a 2" thick piece of plywood to match the depth (height) of the downunder board. Add in the adjustability and the investment is well worth it, in my opinion.
To be clear: I'm not knocking your investment--especially w/o having tried one. And I can hardly b*tch about the price. What the market will bear and all that :)

But it would be fairly straight-forward to replicate with plywood or MDF if you have the tools. I have the tools, so I may take a run at it. Couple of pieces of wood, two holes in one, slots in the other. Couple sets of short carriage bolts, fender washers, and wingnuts. 2 in. wide pieces glued and screwed to the ends, offset to account to the offset where the two main boards overlap. QED. Give it a coat of sealant or a fancy paint job, if it moves you :)

To be clear: I'm not knocking your investment--especially w/o having tried one. And I can hardly b*tch about the price. What the market will bear and all that :)

But it would be fairly straight-forward to replicate with plywood or MDF if you have the tools. I have the tools, so I may take a run at it. Couple of pieces of wood, two holes in one, slots in the other. Couple sets of short carriage bolts, fender washers, and wingnuts. 2 in. wide pieces glued and screwed to the ends, offset to account to the offset where the two main boards overlap. QED. Give it a coat of sealant or a fancy paint job, if it moves you :)

I'm not skilled in that area, so my only option is to buy. I think if anyone can make a replica, that's great. The good thing is, the training tool works and I think anyone working on stability and ground forces should make or buy one of these!

I'm not skilled in that area, so my only option is to buy. I think if anyone can make a replica, that's great. The good thing is, the training tool works and I think anyone working on stability and ground forces should make or buy one of these!

I like to reward the inventor and not steal an idea ...

I have one, still don't know what it does, but use it. Yes, I know, get on lead side, ground forces.

I think it's a divine mystery that follows me to the range.

$109?!?!
rofl.gif

I like to reward the creator of the idea to an extent. Or we stifle innovation.

So laugh, but if people copy an idea, and don't reward the mind, there you go, you lessen innovation. So put yourself in the inventor's shoes.

DUB travels better, no splinters to worry about, way lighter.
Makes sense! I can see going your route: Making a home made version, trying it out, and if I like what I see, grabbing the "for real" DUB.

I think the key in using such a board is getting a slightly wider stance than you'd use for particular club so you can squeeze the board with your feet - that helps you feel more of your core, and relaxes the arms. On the downswing, I don't follow his theory of instruction, but having the feet squeeze the board at the start to mid of downswing may help the OTT swing.

Like anything else, not a panacea. You still need a fundamentally sound swing. He doesn't talk about when to move to the lead side, etc. He exaggerates the bump and right side bend too early (old school) - he is not very technical in his video. You still need to know how to shallow your swing, etc. I see it more as refining a decent swing.

Last edited:
I think the key in using such a board is getting a slightly wider stance than you'd use for particular club so you can squeeze the board with your feet - that helps you feel more of your core, and relaxes the arms. On the downswing, I don't follow his theory of instruction, but having the feet squeeze the board at start to mid of downswing may help the OTT swing.

Like anything else, not a panacea. You still need a fundamentally sound swing. He doesn't talk about when to move to the lead side, etc. You still need to know how to shallow your swing, etc. I see it as more as refining a decent swing.
I completely agree. I'm coupling the DUB with Malaska principles to work on what is currently ailing me.

Promo Code HOLIDAY10 and free shipping

Have been thinking about this for a while just didnt order it. Today i got a promotion from them with Harold Varner using it . Nice swing. Ordered it today. There was a 10 percent discount code. WINTER10. Cant wait to try it i think this could be good.

The Down Under Board came. I watched the Bradley Hughes instructional video understood the concept and have tried it in the house with no ball. It felt good and it really seems to be effective. Cant hit outside yet around here but its getting close. Going to the Dome in the morning and I will bring this with me. Anxious to see how this works when I'm actually hitting balls. Im making a super conscious effort this year going into the season to work on balance and stability and this seems to have the potential to really help.

The Down Under Board came. I watched the Bradley Hughes instructional video understood the concept and have tried it in the house with no ball. It felt good and it really seems to be effective. Cant hit outside yet around here but its getting close. Going to the Dome in the morning and I will bring this with me. Anxious to see how this works when I'm actually hitting balls. Im making a super conscious effort this year going into the season to work on balance and stability and this seems to have the potential to really help.
Awesome! Has really helped me to improve stability. Hope you like it!

From Plugged In Golf:

50 Words or Less
The Down Under Board is a training aid developed by Bradley Hughes, formerly a player and currently a teacher on the PGA Tour. A very effective way to engage your lower body, create a stable base, and fix many common swing problems. One of the best trainers I’ve tested in years.

It appears that they took down the video from the inventor's site (or maybe it's not free anymore?) Does anyone know of a like that shows Hughes teaching with this or using this?

I’ve got one, I’ve just not had time to work with it myself yet.

I’ve got one, I’ve just not had time to work with it myself yet.
I just ordered 2 one for me and one for my son

I'm still trying to figure out what it does ... after several months.

My guess - quiet feet, pressure ground, weight forward - trying to figure out if this board adds to that movement.

But as Mancest says below - it can help stop swaying because you are pinching your feet against the board.

Last edited:
I picked one up on the holiday sale, made the price more palatable. What I find it does it prevents me from swaying, keeping me covering the ball more consistently. Added benefit of focusing on using the lower body to drive the golf swing. I have always been a shoulder/arms driven player and probably not coincidentally had a really piss poor swing.

I found it does help even using it once or twice a week for 10-15 practice swings, but I wouldn't have tried it unless it was focusing on things my instructor and I were working on.

Back