2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The creep is real. I’ve got 30+ pounds that slowly accumulated over where I got to in May 2019 and where I’d like to get back. 220 is that spot and my goal. Unfortunately, the 30 I’m talking about now is what I lost to get to 220.

Late 2018, after recovering from some surgery, I joined my wife on this Optavia deal. One of her best friends was a “coach” so we figured what the hell. It was a great way to drop weight quickly. But, not so much for maintaining it. I could only eat meal replacement bars, shakes and pouches for so long. When I played golf, my energy was sapped by 12 or 13, even with adding a “fueling” or two.

I know I need to crack down on portion control and cut out my late night snacking. I need to incorporate more vegetables (no 🍆) in my meals. I plan to go with the intermittent fasting and start with an 8 hour window (12-8) to begin. I’ll add in walking or indoor cycling to get at least 30 minutes a day.

Who’s in? Let’s support each other!

I have gone up 10 since the summer. I assume it is because I am not walking the course 5 days a week playing, and all the good holiday food, drink and sweets, I have been eating. Just upped the workout to AM rowing, and PM Air Assault bike. Hopefully this will stem then gain until I can stop eating so much..lol

Who’s in? Let’s support each other!
Oh, I'm definitely in!

I started working out and getting my diet straight in 2005. Other than a couple 3-month and one six-month break, I've worked out, and mostly kept my diet right, since then. Then SARS-Cov-2/Covid-19 hit. Last workout was the end of February, one week before they shut the gyms down in Michigan.

My diet tends to follow my workout regimen. So when I stopped working out I stopped watching my diet. Result: I weigh only four pounds more than I did at the end of February, but I'm up from a 34 in. waist jean fitting comfortably to a 36 in. waist jean becoming marginal. My sciatica was back. I was beginning to really feel my age.

So week-before-last I said to myself "Self, your lifestyle is gonna kill you before the Wu Flu at this rate. Screw it. Time to get back to the gym." Did three weight-training days last week. Today will be my third workout this week. Next week, and likely the first week after NYD, will be the same. Then I'll start adding cardio days. Goal is five workouts/week: HIIT cardio, upper body, legs, upper body, HIIT cardio.

I feel much better already.

Haven't started the diet seriously, yet, though I have done some cutting back. After the first I'll bear down. No more snacking on "work" days or "work" nights: Sunday afternoon through Friday afternoon. No beer with dinner on those nights, either. Friday evening through Sunday morning will be my "cheat" period each week. I'll interval fast Sunday evenings through noon on Mondays.

Up 50lbs over the past 10 years. I went from way too skinny to a bit overweight. Realistically If I lost 30 I would be perfect. I have committed to eating out a lot less and being more active.

Not my first time losing weight. About 15 years ago I lost 30lb and got super ripped, but that was a long time ago.

Going Keto has been very positive for my wife and I. Started end of August. I'm down 30, she's 40+. Carb Manager app was helping a lot as we started. Very good community on FB and many recipes for those usual carb substitutes.

Good luck on your quest!

I had the opposite experience, 2 years ago I decided golf was the game / activity I would do the rest of my life. I went from playing 2-4 times per year to once per week and went from cart to walking every course I was allowed too. Since making this life dedication, I might as well play to the best of my ability and I started to work out 5 days per week for an hour a day. I tricked myself into working out and becoming more healthy! Cardio, weight lifting, spot muscle training, stretching, swing speed training & accuracy training. My diet is pretty much the same, one day a week of ultra junk food, the rest is high quality foods, even if it is chocolates and wine. I've added whey protein isolate with BCAA, creatine and HMB for a post work out shake and discourage late night snacking. Year one was a fight to regain from 30+ years of computer desk work, second year I'm more tone and starting to add strength & size. Swing speed has went from 85ish to 105ish. Lost 5% body fat and went form 34 to 32 pant size, same size I was in college decades before. Little aches and pains I had are starting to diminish to non existent or are covered by the slight muscle soreness. Diets don't work, but life changes do! You just have to decide its what you want. You can do it!

Last edited:
I'm in. I have a game plan for the new year. I'm excited to get a program started on my Tempo Studio, plan to add in some cycling and then really focus on cleaner eating. This is not a New Years resolution for me or anything, just trying to get a little healthier, because I have slipped quite a bit recently.

I stay active but would benefit from a diet change. I would be happy to lose a few pounds, but the goal is to feel better. Julie and I were just talking about this topic this morning while driving to a bakery to pick up evil delights. :D I think I am going to start working with a nutritionist. The other thing I need to do is add in more cardio workouts again, but that will be generally easy to do once our snowpack stabilizes (skate skiing). I also have an indoor smart bike trainer. I would use it now, but given the state of the house with an in process remodel, I don't have a place to set it up right now. But changing what I eat specifically for improving how the system feels is a BIG goal for 2021.

This is the year! Family challenges and some stress didn't allow me to get to my best. Fully commited to running and doing at home excercises during the day!

I intend to go lean and green. I'll limit the starches - potatoes, rice, pasta, bread - that I love so much. I'll try to gave a better focus on good carbs. I do plan to have a couple of non-compliant meals during the week. I don't want them on the same day.

Progress, not perfection.

I lost the weight I was looking to lose this year. Went from a plump 200 down to 170 and I’m super pumped about it. I need to clean up the diet for sure though. Too big of portions and too often I have crap meals because we are feeling lazy and don’t want to cook that day. Cutting down significantly on alcohol intake helped lose the weight. So now if I can get the diet squared away, I will be where I want to be!

I'm in. My goal is to lose 20-30 lb before Oct 2 (my daughter's wedding). After the Holidays it's back to some kind of intermittent fasting plan & mainly cutting out the processed food/empty claories.

I diet for health reasons and not necessarily to lose a specific amount of weight. Thanks to my daughter, I’ve reduced gluten in my diet. I’ve also reduced my consumption of red meat and alcohol.

In! Actually hit my 2 year goal this year, but still have 20lbs or so. I’m fatter than I thought I’d look after losing 50# since 04/01/20. So new goal is 20 more in 2021. Hopefully that’ll end the unhappy mirror. If not I’m in it until I’m happy looking in the mirror.

I don’t carry the weight the same way I did when I was younger. Despite how much better looking I am....

I could stand to lose 100 pounds but it's not happening!

get the biggest loser contest going.....everyone has till the 4th to fatten up lol
Heh. The last time I participated in a fat loss challenge, here's what happened: It ran from somewhere around Dec. 1 to just before Christmas. In that time I lost at least an inch around my waist, dropped eight pounds of net weight, and was pushing more weight for the same number of sets and reps than when I started. I'd visibly gained muscle definition. By my seat-of-the-pants estimate I had to have lost at least 3% body fat in that time.

Yeah, that's a lot of body fat loss in... I think it was 22 or 23 days? But I'd been very aggressive. Missed not a single workout (five days a week) and averaged no more than 50g/day of carbs.

Their body fat measuring device insisted I'd lost not a single percent of fat! Of course that was literally impossible, given the evidence. The PTs were mystified, but they had to go with what the measurement device said. So that was that.

Well, not if you've convinced yourself it's not--of course it won't.

I’m in. I need to be more consistent in working out and building flexibility. Also to lose weight

It is possible! I’ve dropped 70 total and 50 since April.

I’m not saying it’s fun but you’ll feel better every 10 pounds you shed.

Quick Edit: and I’m not a sterling example of willpower.

It is possible! I’ve dropped 70 total and 50 since April.

I’m not saying it’s fun but you’ll feel better every 10 pounds you shed.

Quick Edit: and I’m not a sterling example of willpower.

Thanks for the support. Ive dropped and gained 50 lbs at least 5 times in the last 20 years...it just sneaks back on up.

I joined Noom the other day. I am a moron when it comes to healthy choices. Hopefully it will push me down a better path. It says I will reach my target weight by April 26. I can deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back