Senior swing - Eric Cogorno

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Has any Seniors tried Eric's swing? I can relate to this as a pro tried to get me to rotate better and open up at impact, which just doesn't seem to happen as a Sr with a bad back and knee. Eric suggests a closed stance for a full backswing, but a flip hook swing with extension on the follow through.

Last edited:
Has any Seniors tried Eric's swing? I can relate to this as a pro tried to get me to rotate better and open up at impact, which just doesn't seem to happen as a Sr with a bad back and knee. Eric suggests a close stance for a full backswing, but a flip hook swing with extension on the follow through.

Just prepare for the hook or Draw ball flight after the flip at the extension.

Right to left ball flight

I asked Dr Jeff Mann a question about golfers who have poor pelvic/torso separation capability (hula-hula flexibility). Running out of right arm happens when you are unable to get your right shoulder moving downplane enough and under your chin area . If you can't get your right shoulder close enough to the ball , your right arm and wrist will straighten as you approach impact (probably end up with a flip hand release action through impact). However , if you can get just enough right lateral flexion so you can get your right shoulder more downplane and don't 'run out of right arm' before impact, you could keep a slightly bent right arm/wrist and use it to support the forward swinging action of your left arm/wrist through impact and prevent a flip hand release action.

Maybe the Leslie King method is better for senior golfers who have very little flexibility (full free instruction in link below).

Leslie King Tuition Series - Introduction & Masterpost - Golf Today

Dr Mann Reply:
"Yes - one can definitely use an active arm swinging motion with a reactive pivot if one is a senior golfer who has zero hula hula flexibility.

Here are some personal recommendations that I personally use to improve the technique.

To get to a good backswing position, start the backswing with an active clockwise rotation of the upper torso that drives the left shoulder socket away from the target. To allow the pelvis to rotate in unison with the rotating upper torso, allow the right leg to straighten (and "feel" the right knee moving back away from the ball-target line). Try to get about 70-90 degrees of clockwise rotation of the upper torso depending on one's level of flexibility.

Now, to start the downswing, do not attempt to rotate the pelvis counterclockwise because the right shoulder will immediately move outwards in the direction of the ball-target line due to the fact that one has zero hula hula flexibility. To start the downswing, one is going to actively use the arms where one is going to swing the two arms across the front of the body while trying to keep the right shoulder back. The "feel" should be using the left arm to pull the butt end of the club towards the ball while simultaneously actively adducting the right elbow (using a pitch elbow motion where the right palm continuously faces skywards) to ensure that one can maintain lag and also shallow the clubshaft between P4 and P5.5.

I have discovered that when performing an active right arm adduction maneuver, it can unintentionally activate muscles on the right side of my mid-upper torso that drives the right shoulder outwards in an OTT manner and it also causes my spine to twist leftwards into a leftwards-tilted spine alignment where I then invariably generate an out-to-in clubhead path between P6 and P7, and where my head also moves ahead of the ball as my spine twists around to the left.

To help maintain a rightwards tilted spine and to help keep the head behind the ball during the active right arm adduction maneuver, I immediately push down into the ground under the left foot at the very start of the downswing while I am simultaneously performing the arm swinging motion - and that helps to brace the left leg and left side of my mid-upper torso so that I can continuously maintain a rightwards tilted spine and keep my head behind the ball. If you are doing this correctly, then one should "feel" the navel area of the abdomen jutting out towards the target and slightly towards right-field, which means that the pelvis and lumbar spine are ahead of the upper thoracic spine (with the amount depending one one's ability to generate a small mount of right lateral bend). If one can get the right shoulder moving more downplane so that the shoulder angle is rotating in a more vertical (ferris-wheel) manner and if one can get the right shoulder moving far enough downplane, then it may be possible to avoid "running-out-of-right arm" and one may still be able to perform a DH-hand release action through impact to at least P7.1.

Jeff. "

Last edited:
Has any Seniors tried Eric's swing? I can relate to this as a pro tried to get me to rotate better and open up at impact, which just doesn't seem to happen as a Sr with a bad back and knee. Eric suggests a closed stance for a full backswing, but a flip hook swing with extension on the follow through.

I think there is a better way...will for sure mess with your ball flight, AND it isn't going to be good on the lower back by extending up vs. using your feet and lower body to rotate. You definitely want to have a little earlier release and an open face to create some height, but I wouldn't necessarily copy that. 🤷‍♂️

I just finished watching Cogorno's Senior Masterclass and plan to implement his suggestions. It makes sense to me that by setting swing elements in such a way as to offset my limited flexibility and promote a push draw (which the in to out pattern should do), I should be able to hit the ball longer with a more consistent ball flight.

Back