Which equipment has the most potential for improvement?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
These days there are certainly still improvements in equipment year over year but it seems like it's more incremental. What piece of equipment do you guys think has the most potential for major improvements in performance? Will it take a couple of years? 5 years? 10?

I'll say irons, 5 years.

Factually drivers are at their limit on the sweet spot. Fairways & hybrids are limited by their size - CG can only be manipulated so much.
I think irons have some room for advanced materials to do some crazy things. Who knows though...I'm just a dumbdumb.

I feel like there's something with putters that's looming. I know we've seen 3D printing recently, maybe it's more of that, but I wonder if we'll see something substantial in the next 5 years. Maybe a different material or something.

I’m thinking putter. It seems like this piece of equipment has just recently started getting attention so there’s a lot of space for continued improvement. I’m guessing 5 years.

Urethane covered balls and composite shafts.

Better software and batteries for Hybrid GPS-Laser Rangefinders

I'll say irons, 5 years.

Factually drivers are at their limit on the sweet spot. Fairways & hybrids are limited by their size - CG can only be manipulated so much.
I think irons have some room for advanced materials to do some crazy things. Who knows though...I'm just a dumbdumb.
It will be interesting to see what happens with irons as AI and 3D printing becomes more advanced. The idea of different materials is fun too and I hadn't really thought about that with irons.

I feel like there's something with putters that's looming. I know we've seen 3D printing recently, maybe it's more of that, but I wonder if we'll see something substantial in the next 5 years. Maybe a different material or something.

I agree with you on this. With the ability to make new designs relatively quickly we could see some interesting products. Do you think new technologies will come with it that will make putting easier or just new designs?

3D Printing really opens everything up for innovation. I’m not versed in the materials and process but I wouldn’t be surprised that 3D could have application to the golf ball.

Reactions: KEV
I still think they can squeak out more forgiveness in drivers.

Reactions: KEV
Everything.

Material innovation is not near its limit yet.

Shaft innovation ... autoflex being one example.

Shafts ( driver, iron, putter )
More accurate launch monitors AND being built cheaper are coming. Have no doubt.

Back