BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Man that stinks. Have they offered replacing the unit?

not yet

That is really disappointing to hear. When we had an issue after we first got our Grilla, they were so helpful in talking us through how to get it fixed. For us, it was a minor thing so maybe that's why, but still they were so responsive and willing to help. I hate to hear that their customer service is no longer what it used to be. I hope they make it right for you.

i too hope they make it right. the csr has been very kind, but i usually get a question from her early in the morning to which i immediately respond but don’t hear back until early the next morning. it’s covid, everyone has delays, that’s fine. but at this point she should see i’m not happy and just replace it. i haven’t asked that yet because i want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

can you return it and get a refund?

it was a christmas gift. we can that direction if needed, but my in-laws will feel bad and i’d like to avoid that if possible. i just want a working pellet grill!

all this said, when the unit sh1t the bed on first start, i switched modes and used my kamado. the food came out incredible. the allure of the pellet grill is the ease of the cook, but if the food itself is lesser than what i can make on the kamado, i’m not sure it’s a good alternative for us.

not yet

i too hope they make it right. the csr has been very kind, but i usually get a question from her early in the morning to which i immediately respond but don’t hear back until early the next morning. it’s covid, everyone has delays, that’s fine. but at this point she should see i’m not happy and just replace it. i haven’t asked that yet because i want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

it was a christmas gift. we can that direction if needed, but my in-laws will feel bad and i’d like to avoid that if possible. i just want a working pellet grill!

all this said, when the unit sh1t the bed on first start, i switched modes and used my kamado. the food came out incredible. the allure of the pellet grill is the ease of the cook, but if the food itself is lesser than what i can make on the kamado, i’m not sure it’s a good alternative for us.
I'm sure if/when you get your pellet grill working properly, your food will turn out fantastic!

I'm sure if/when you get your pellet grill working properly, your food will turn out fantastic!

i hope so. the csr has been more responsive today. although her suggestion to fix the internal flaking was for them to send me some paint so i could sand and repaint the unit myself. she sounds scared to even ask management about replacing it. even if this eventually gets resolved and i make delicious food, i would NEVER recommend grilla to anyone. i won’t flame them on social, but this has been well below my expectations.

i hope so. the csr has been more responsive today. although her suggestion to fix the internal flaking was for them to send me some paint so i could sand and repaint the unit myself. she sounds scared to even ask management about replacing it. even if this eventually gets resolved and i make delicious food, i would NEVER recommend grilla to anyone. i won’t flame them on social, but this has been well below my expectations.
I understand that this was a Christmas gift, but at this stage of the game, I would want to return it and either get my money back and get a different grill or go past customer service and work your way up the ladder. If this happened to your in laws, I'm sure they wouldn't take it sitting down.

so far my grilla chimp has been a disaster. at first the pellets fed in, a TON of white smoke was billowing out everywhere, but then the temp started spiking. the breaker tripped, and black smoke and soot started billowing out. i opened it, and black soot was everywhere. the coating on one of the internal welded components was flaking, and the burn pot had a fire raging but no wood in it.

it’s been 20 questions from customer service. they’re telling me traeger pellets are a problem. and to try it again. i’m not interested in cleaning the soot myself (it looks baked in), and i’ve lost confidence in the product.

i think i just have a faulty unit, but so far there has been no attempt to make it right. pretty disappointing experience so far.
I do t think it would be the traeger pellets, I use those in my traeger and my rec tec

Question : is MSG a typical ingredient in BBQ spices? If so, are you guys generally ok with that?

This is such a bummer to hear considering so many have spoken highly of Grilla

I do t think it would be the traeger pellets, I use those in my traeger and my rec tec

yeah me either. it feels like they’re grasping at straws.

so far my grilla chimp has been a disaster. at first the pellets fed in, a TON of white smoke was billowing out everywhere, but then the temp started spiking. the breaker tripped, and black smoke and soot started billowing out. i opened it, and black soot was everywhere. the coating on one of the internal welded components was flaking, and the burn pot had a fire raging but no wood in it.

it’s been 20 questions from customer service. they’re telling me traeger pellets are a problem. and to try it again. i’m not interested in cleaning the soot myself (it looks baked in), and i’ve lost confidence in the product.

i think i just have a faulty unit, but so far there has been no attempt to make it right. pretty disappointing experience so far.
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. They opened a Grilla Grills showroom here in Dallas and I went and checked it out and I am/was contemplating getting a chimp

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. They opened a Grilla Grills showroom here in Dallas and I went and checked it out and I am/was contemplating getting a chimp

i love the idea. setup was so easy. capacity is perfect for my little family. but i didn’t expect to be where i am in this process. i just bought my SECOND bag of pellets, an approved brand even though their literature doesn’t tell you which brands are approved (at least that i recall reading). csr said the next step will be to do some testing of the igniter or something like that.

i love the idea. setup was so easy. capacity is perfect for my little family. but i didn’t expect to be where i am in this process. i just bought my SECOND bag of pellets, an approved brand even though their literature doesn’t tell you which brands are approved (at least that i recall reading). csr said the next step will be to do some testing of the igniter or something like that.
The guy in the showroom said that you want pellets that are made from hardwood or something to that effect. Not sure that would make a difference in your case though. The showroom was cool, they had every grill model they make (except for the primate which is preorder only at the moment). and stacks of chimp boxes ready to go so I know they sell a lot of them.

The guy in the showroom said that you want pellets that are made from hardwood or something to that effect. Not sure that would make a difference in your case though. The showroom was cool, they had every grill model they make (except for the primate which is preorder only at the moment). and stacks of chimp boxes ready to go so I know they sell a lot of them.
The pellets aren't the problem I doubt, but Traeger pellets are very low on the list of good pellets. They use cheap wood and flavor oils instead of the actual wood type they're saying. Bear Mountain, Cookin Pellets, Lumberjack, etc are much better options. Hope things get figured out with McLovin's Grilla.

Stop stalking the showrooms & just get the wallet out!

I have a Rec Tec and I use whatever pellet I want...although I am picky. Been using Traeger pellets, Bear Mountain, etc., Lately I've been using Kingsford pellets with very good results.

Anybody ever use these pellets? I was in Walmart today and almost crashed my cart when I seen $14.99 for 40#...

21F55434-6BB0-4958-A20A-3050BA3AD506.jpeg

not yet

gotta tell you, I just love my pellet smoker and after 5 years, it's still cranking out great food cook after cook !!

Sorry I don't know much about that brand.

Good luck and hope it turns out good for you!

Tonight I'm doing venison backstrap stuffed with cream cheese and jalapeños wrapped with a little venison bacon...first time, we'll see

D693B02D-C6FC-4AFA-A6D2-93A501B60BA2.jpeg

Did a wagya sirloin roast. First time doing wagyu sirloin but it was really good. 925F3D4D-FFD4-4DFB-85B8-071035EFF34C.jpegFF9FAA0D-406C-4763-942F-DA404DA026E9.jpeg

Anybody ever use these pellets? I was in Walmart today and almost crashed my cart when I seen $14.99 for 40#...

View attachment 8985413

These are all I use, same price about by me also. I picked up 6 bags of it before "grilling season" was over just in case they stopped carrying it.

Matter of fact, I'll be smoking a pork butt today with some.

I use the Pitboss Austin XL, absolutely love that thing.

Matter of fact, I'll be smoking a pork butt today with some.

I use the Pitboss Austin XL, absolutely love that thing.

my buddy has that smoker and really likes it

my buddy has that smoker and really likes it

I've had mine for a few months now, real simple to use. Just got an insulated blanket for it, so I'm curious to see if it helps with the cold weather grilling.

View attachment 8985413

I find these have a lot of extra dust left in the bag, so I didn't love them for that, but as far as taste goes I didn't have any issue with them. There are definitely other brands I like better, but it's hard to ignore that price.

I find these have a lot of extra dust left in the bag, so I didn't love them for that, but as far as taste goes I didn't have any issue with them. There are definitely other brands I like better, but it's hard to ignore that price.

Now that you mention that, I do agree. There is a lot of dust left over with these. Guess I thought it was normal though. Must not be?

Back