UST Mamiya RECOIL DART Shafts

I don't know if I could commit to that weight but it would be interested to see what a 40% plus reduction in shaft weight looks like with a similar stability.

I'm going to tell my neighbor who is in his early 70s and about to get fitted.

It is cool that they have a lot of stability with lightweight shafts.

Really like what I am reading with these shafts. Built with slower swing players in mind, higher launch for irons, more energy transfer, and better stability and feel.

I was looking at the Recoil site and curious how the lower torque (at 5.2°) for the Recoil Dart 65 R affects the control and consistency. I couldn’t find any current lineup iron the had that low of a torque.

Last edited:
Will be all 👀 when the F5s hit the market. I want to make the move to graphite this year.

Really like what I am reading with these shafts. Built with slower swing players in mind, higher launch for irons, more energy transfer, and better stability and feel.

I was looking at the Recoil site and curious how the higher torque (at 5.2°) for the Recoil Dart 65 R affects the control and consistency. I couldn’t find any current lineup iron the had that low of a torque.

Im not sure I agree with the "slower swingers in mind" aspect

Well this could have made up people’s mind about use of golden ticket.....

Haha this is awesome and looking forward to hearing more.

any idea on the price point at the moment?

Im not sure I agree with the "slower swingers in mind" aspect
Gotcha. I misread an earlier post.

Is that due to the lower torque in the lighter 65?

Well hello there. I think this is going in the bag once the higher weights come up because that sounds perfect. Not sure about the graphics but I’m sure they aren’t noticeable at address.
My feelings expressed perfectly...

Gotcha. I misread an earlier post.

Is that due to the lower torque in the lighter 65?

My personal belief is torque is more about feel than anything else. Does it matter? Yes. Does a higher or lower number automatically make something more precise or controllable? Not in my opinion.

Is there talk of an XS option or are they saying the S option will help highest swing speeds?

Is there talk of an XS option or are they saying the S option will help highest swing speeds?

As more shafts get launched in the line, X will definitely be in play.

Yes. Hoop strength is about deformation during the swing.
When we started "Recoil" product development over a decade ago, one of our engineers asked us why don't we look at the "hoop stiffness" in the butt walls of the shaft and see if we can optimize performance there first.

Making heavier shafts required more layers of carbon fiber, which typically created "high hoop stiffness" which translated to "dead" and "stiff" feeling from the golfer. We changed the material and the orientation to get what we considered optimal or lower "hoop stiffness" for the heavier weight models (95/110/125).

Light to mid-weight products typically have "low hoop stiffness", especially in the butt walls of the shaft. With the lighter weight models, we had to increase "hoop stiffness" to get the feel and stability that golfers can feel and trust.

Recoil DART is taking that concept and applying to both the butt end and the tip end of the shaft to acheive maximum shaft energy transfer, feel and precision for each iron shot.

Danny

I don't know if I could commit to that weight but it would be interested to see what a 40% plus reduction in shaft weight looks like with a similar stability.

I'm going to tell my neighbor who is in his early 70s and about to get fitted.

Good thing there will be heavier weights in the future...

Danny

My personal belief is torque is more about feel than anything else. Does it matter? Yes. Does a higher or lower number automatically make something more precise or controllable? Not in my opinion.
I agree with this 100%, especially in light of what UST Mamiya is doing with the material construction and layering itself (the LIN-Q is named as such for its Q Fiber, for instance). The LIN-Q has almost the exact torque number of my prior shaft, yet feels much more stable.

When we started "Recoil" product development over a decade ago, one of our engineers asked us why don't we look at the "hoop stiffness" in the butt walls of the shaft and see if we can optimize performance there first.

Making heavier shafts required more layers of carbon fiber, which typically created "high hoop stiffness" which translated to "dead" and "stiff" feeling from the golfer. We changed the material and the orientation to get what we considered optimal or lower "hoop stiffness" for the heavier weight models (95/110/125).

Light to mid-weight products typically have "low hoop stiffness", especially in the butt walls of the shaft. With the lighter weight models, we had to increase "hoop stiffness" to get the feel and stability that golfers can feel and trust.

Recoil DART is taking that concept and applying to both the butt end and the tip end of the shaft to acheive maximum shaft energy transfer, feel and precision for each iron shot.

Danny
Thanks for that info

As more shafts get launched in the line, X will definitely be in play.
This is my 2021 shaft goal, switch out steel if it works as good or better. Now I need to figure out what heads will have the graphite in them

I was looking at the Recoil site and curious how the lower torque (at 5.2°) for the Recoil Dart 65 R affects the control and consistency. I couldn’t find any current lineup iron the had that low of a torque.
Control and consistency comes from how we construct the entire shaft (butt, mid and tip section). The torque is mainly a "feel" thing. This is from the countless hours of testing with golfers of all abilities (0-20 handicap) and their verbal feedback. TrackMan and GC Quad has the data to verify their feedback.

Danny

Aftermarket Retail = $39.99/each.
This will be available as a stock graphite option in a very popular iron model to be announced soon and custom in pretty much every major OEM iron program.

Danny
Thank you, I have the 780's in my Hogans at the moment, but feel i could do more. Only option avail at the time of ordering. This is tweaking me hard....lol

Having reviewed a 75g range iron shaft this year, my interests are piqued here with the tech and the talk.

Not scared of lighter, at all.

Control and consistency comes from how we construct the entire shaft (butt, mid and tip section). The torque is mainly a "feel" thing. This is from the countless hours of testing with golfers of all abilities (0-20 handicap) and their verbal feedback. TrackMan and GC Quad has the data to verify their feedback.

Danny
Oh this is exciting. (y)(y)(y)

Wow...just wow. I didn't think UST could up the ante over the performance of the Recoil Shafts, but just did with this release. I like the various offerings here & definitely feel the need to get fit into the right profile & weight to unleash the potential of my game.

@DannyLe , having not had graphite in the bag before, how would I go about getting similar performance based on current steel specs? I have Cobra Forged TEC with Modus3 Pro XS and 919 Tour with DG 120 XS.

Back