Adam Scott Hot take

When you treat your largest events to be like the Super Bowl, it isn't hard for some of the other events to be the equivalent of a Jaguars/Jets game.

If you treat everything special, nothing is special. If treat certain events as being bigger and better than the others, the other events are bound to have a lesser priority.

If I'm a rookie on tour, the Barbasol Championship is a chance for me to make some money and establish my career when no other big names are there. If I've won 30 million on tour I'm only working the weekends I want to work because I'm allowed to do that as an independent contractor.

When you treat your largest events to be like the Super Bowl, it isn't hard for some of the other events to be the equivalent of a Jaguars/Jets game.

If you treat everything special, nothing is special. If treat certain events as being bigger and better than the others, the other events are bound to have a lesser priority.

If I'm a rookie on tour, the Barbasol Championship is a chance for me to make some money and establish my career when no other big names are there. If I've won 30 million on tour I'm only working the weekends I want to work because I'm allowed to do that as an independent contractor.
That is so crazy conditional. I really don't think anyone is going to try to argue that guys who've had a career worth of success can't create a more casual schedule that suits their preferences.

I would think at this point if it's not common knowledge, someone isn't trying to know it.

That is so crazy conditional. I really don't think anyone is going to try to argue that guys who've had a career worth of success can't create a more casual schedule that suits their preferences.

I would think at this point if it's not common knowledge, someone isn't trying to know it.
True, but we've also been conditioned as a society and as fans that a tournament like John Deere, the Barbasol, or the RBC Canadian isn't as important as the others. It has become pretty clear that guys on tour that have been established use everything else to prepare for the majors. As much as we the fans want to think that everyone is out there giving 110% every week on tour I just don't see how it is feasible. I think the tour themselves set themselves up with a major tournament every month throughout the spring and summer. The guys with automatic exemptions or invites into those tournaments completely gear their schedule around those events.

True, but we've also been conditioned as a society and as fans that a tournament like John Deere, the Barbasol, or the RBC Canadian isn't as important as the others. It has become pretty clear that guys on tour that have been established use everything else to prepare for the majors. As much as we the fans want to think that everyone is out there giving 110% every week on tour I just don't see how it is feasible. I think the tour themselves set themselves up with a major tournament every month throughout the spring and summer. The guys with automatic exemptions or invites into those tournaments completely gear their schedule around those events.
Do you believe any of this is being contested? I think most would agree.

The FedEx Cup throws a little wrench into that, though. There's an awful lot of money ($15 million last year, IIRC) and prestige to be had at the end of the year for winning that race, and they have to play enough (and play well enough) to keep their points up so they get in. No exemptions there, you either have the points or you don't.

I don’t really buy these guys treat all other events and practice round or major warm ups. Those events even though smaller have world ranking points, money and history involved..

It may be the truth but someone with one win since 2016 might hold those other events in a slightly higher regard.

This weekend I noticed Adam went from the broomstick to using an armlock putter. He must have changed putters for the entertainment event this weekend

I don’t really buy these guys treat all other events and practice round or major warm ups. Those events even though smaller have world ranking points, money and history involved..
And how did those top 20-25 guys get to be top 20-25 guys? By winning tournaments. If you look at the top 25, not all (or even a majority) of them are multiple Major winners, but they have a lot of other wins and top tens under their belts.

Yeah, based on his track record I'd say it's more of a golf thing than a Tour thing for Scott - but I maintain from a 'guys on Tour trying to make money' perspective I doubt they put that much time in to simply coast through tournaments.

It may be the truth but someone with one win since 2016 might hold those other events in a slightly higher regard.
Maybe he's hoping to read about him on social this week for something other than his thumb anchoring on his chest hahaha

He certainly could've worded things more delicately but I can't criticize his candor.

Now knowing what he believes, for him to speak otherwise would be disingenuous. I choose honesty, even with the warts.

He certainly could've worded things more delicately but I can't criticize his candor.

Now knowing what he believes, for him to speak otherwise would be disingenuous. I choose honesty, even with the warts.
He didn't have to make the comment.

The question was "Do you think the Tour is ready for a mixed event" and his response was effectively sure, because there are only 10-12 serious events on the Schedule. They didn't ask "do all tournaments matter on tour"

The question was "Do you think the Tour is ready for a mixed event" and his response was effectively sure, because there are only 10-12 serious events on the Schedule. They didn't ask "do all tournaments matter on tour"

Absolutely, I'll give you that. Would've been the prudent response to avoid all that, no doubt.

But because he didn't take that course and instead decided to expound some, regardless how unnecessary, I'll respect his honesty.

Do I agree with the facts of what he said? Of course I do, and I think that the majority of people would think likewise. The issue is that he said it out loud, which to my mind is almost an insult to the players ranked lower who grind it out week in and week out for points, money and the exemptions etc that it brings. They're not doing it for 'entertainment', they're doing it for livelihood. Whilst the sentiment was right, there was no need to actually have gone on record saying it.

Why didn't he? it's how he felt and probably how many of the top golfers on the tour felt. To me the interview came across as someone expanding on their opinion for context.

Regardless of how much success a golfer has had in order to cherry pick their schedule, the fact remains all tour stops are not created equal in the sense of importance/recognition. Of course any win is a good win, but to say winning the Myakoba holds the same prestige as winning The Memorial or Bay hill is not being honest.

Why didn't he? it's how he felt and probably how many of the top golfers on the tour felt. To me the interview came across as someone expanding on their opinion for context.

Regardless of how much success a golfer has had in order to cherry pick their schedule, the fact remains all tour stops are not created equal in the sense of importance/recognition. Of course any win is a good win, but to say winning the Myakoba holds the same prestige as winning The Memorial or Bay hill is not being honest.
Like with anything, answering in a way that supports your opinion as well as the hand that’s fed you is probably the best. Why put the tour on blast with that kind of perspective? Who does that benefit?

Of course any win is a good win, but to say winning the Myakoba holds the same prestige as winning The Memorial or Bay hill is not being honest.

I think this is really true, until history and time movement take over. To use an example. Jordan Spieth has a lot of wins including 11 on the PGA Tour. I don't think that number is diminished by 2 being the John Deere, 1 being Valspar and one being Dean and DeLuca.

I also think there are ebbs and flows in fields based on schedule changes and rules. Yes an off major (or second tier) event is still second fiddle, events like the Honda or Valspar had many years of sub par fields only to see a re-emergence.

With that said, I do agree with you that in some ways the depth of events with the top 50 has changed the landscape a bit and taking the shine off of just winning. The WGC events, which came to be as a star studded field and no cut, don't even get all of the players anymore. Im not sure how adding a mixed event changes that, outside of the first one which is a novelty. I mean we had it before with the JC Penney (ironically became the Valspar).

Like with anything, answering in a way that supports your opinion as well as the hand that’s fed you is probably the best. Why put the tour on blast with that kind of perspective? Who does that benefit?

That's just it, I don't see that as putting the tour in a bad light. I just don't see where that comes across as ungrateful or a negative opinion. The comments were made as part of an interview and we don't have the full context of the statement, just a piece of it.

He's not wrong saying only 10-12 tour stops have significance/matter in terms of prestige imo.

can you explain why a top level professional golfer saying most tournaments don't matter is NOT bad for the game?

This is exactly what i thought, They make enough in winning one tournament that the average man is thinking they could use to retire for the rest of their life. They can afford to pick and choose and have an elitist type opinion. Of course i had no idea that he was 24th in the world nor would i have thought so without reading the money list. Just don't see him in contention much anymore. But that is a secondary issue of knowing that the best in the world can have a great life at mediocre, in their circle.

That's just it, I don't see that as putting the tour in a bad light. I just don't see where that comes across as ungrateful or a negative opinion. The comments were made as part of an interview and we don't have the full context of the statement, just a piece of it.

He's not wrong saying only 10-12 tour stops have significance/matter in terms of prestige imo.
Of course he's not wrong. Everyone in the thread agrees that strength of field is not apples to apples.

That's not the point. The point is to answer in a way that doesn't negatively impact the Tour. If you're a host of a traditionally weaker strength of field tournament, or a fan who (used to) go to that event to watch, how does that hit you? Is it in any way good for the Tour?

My point was pretty simple. Scott saying what most people were thinking, but he didn't need to and it definitely didn't help the Tour in any sort of way. After becoming very wealthy because of it, you'd think he could use a bit more tact. Kind of like when the next Titleist product comes out, it's not like he's going to say "yeah I'd say over half of the products are pretty mediocre, so having something new is fine"

Of course he's not wrong. Everyone in the thread agrees that strength of field is not apples to apples.

That's not the point. The point is to answer in a way that doesn't negatively impact the Tour. If you're a host of a traditionally weaker strength of field tournament, or a fan who (used to) go to that event to watch, how does that hit you? Is it in any way good for the Tour?

My point was pretty simple. Scott saying what most people were thinking, but he didn't need to and it definitely didn't help the Tour in any sort of way. After becoming very wealthy because of it, you'd think he could use a bit more tact. Kind of like when the next Titleist product comes out, it's not like he's going to say "yeah I'd say over half of the products are pretty mediocre, so having something new is fine"

I just don't see where that is a negative answer. Honesty is not negativity. Again we don't have the complete context of the interview and are only able to pick apart what we do know.

I am a fan of the Shell Houston Open, we lost the sponsor and then got a new one. It kept a tour stop in the city, but immediately lost it's spot on the schedule and diminished whatever prestige it had built up when Shell sponsored. It's a lesser tour stop, the sponsors know it, the tour knows it and the fans know it. I don't see anyone being offended by that reality.

I am just going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and not be quick to "cancel" them or make absolute judgements without knowing all the facts.

Do you believe any of this is being contested? I think most would agree.
No I don’t. So I’m confused why this is something “controversial” being said by him. I don’t see it as a negative for the tour. I just see it as the reality. A win is a win to me on the tour but everyone gears their monthly schedule around whatever the biggest event of that month.

I don’t know if the PGA is still enforcing it or if it actually works but I seem to recall a policy that players needed to play a certain number of new tournaments each season so they don’t only play their favorites each year and it was supposed to help the lower tournaments draw better.

I just don't see where that is a negative answer. Honesty is not negativity. Again we don't have the complete context of the interview and are only able to pick apart what we do know.

I am a fan of the Shell Houston Open, we lost the sponsor and then got a new one. It kept a tour stop in the city, but immediately lost it's spot on the schedule and diminished whatever prestige it had built up when Shell sponsored. It's a lesser tour stop, the sponsors know it, the tour knows it and the fans know it. I don't see anyone being offended by that reality.

I am just going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and not be quick to "cancel" them or make absolute judgements without knowing all the facts.
We have the question and the full answer. It's in the thread.

1610373182599.png

No I don’t. So I’m confused why this is something “controversial” being said by him. I don’t see it as a negative for the tour. I just see it as the reality. A win is a win to me on the tour but everyone gears their monthly schedule around whatever the biggest event of that month.

I don’t know if the PGA is still enforcing it or if it actually works but I seem to recall a policy that players needed to play a certain number of new tournaments each season so they don’t only play their favorites each year and it was supposed to help the lower tournaments draw better.
re bolded: You think the guys grinding on tour are out there picking favorites and treating only 10-12 events as seriously competitions?

I think the sample size of golfers who only give a **** 10-12 times a year is pretty small.

Back