First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I didn't see it in the write up and looking around I see there is a Tour Cavity Back (TCB) offering, any information on this one @JB

View attachment 8987670
I have seen the picture around, can’t really comment on them other than to see X Forged isn’t in that photo.

So so so much has gone into these irons. The story behind them is absolutely fascinating and I know there are 4 of us that have been waiting to talk about these.

Although the Grandmama didn't happen this year, @Muchmore18 , @xThor , @93civiccpe , and I were honored to get a guided tour of this Apex release by the folks who drove the development of them.

Each of us came away in amazement on what went into these and we I'll put our thoughts up. They really are something special. More from me on this to come...
Excited to hear more information from you guys! That had to have been an incredible conversation!

I have seen the picture around, can’t really comment on them other than to see X Forged isn’t in that photo.

Thanks. I was curious since the TCB has the "Apex" name on it unlike the X-Forged.

They nailed the apex pro look and design for 2021. Those look so good!

So there are three. I like it. Combo or triple play. I’ll give the new apex irons a shot. Lots of outstanding competition out there, and I don’t have the same Callaway love of some. But an open mind, I will bring. 👍

Putting A.I. In a Apex was the next anticipated moved. They appear to have done their home work and are using generous amounts of tungsten with each offering. The pictures look a lot better than what’s been floating around (shocker) and will please a lot of hard core Apex loyalists. Brining in the DCB makes a lot of sense to grab some more players who might otherwise overlook the Apex.

I don’t think you need “tungsten” on the pro, but that’s a minor gripe. Hopefully they’ve nailed the feel because for me personally I’ve never gotten along with a hollow body iron from a feel/sound perspective.

With AI acoustics, I bet they nailed the feel. Looks like “tungsten” is not on the scoring irons, so maybe go combo set. ;)

Good looking irons. Apex releases are always exciting.

Pros...man they look good!

Someone talk to me about MMT shafts - TX 115s beasts or not?

Pretty firm feeling and that is stout, but you put a strong move on the ball.

Aw, man, those look good. Appreciate the review, James. The triple play is very interesting but there appears to be 2 9 irons in that configuration. Is that correct?.

Which of these were redacted 2.0?

I want to know more and see more on the pros. I really like the looks of them. Another month till retail huh? Dang..

Pretty firm feeling and that is stout, but you put a strong move on the ball.
I think the weight is probably more important the the flex for me. I've got so many moving parts it doesn't take much to derail the freight train lol.

2014 to 2020 I played the Apex irons, and absolutely loved them. Still love them.
In 2020 I was fitted into a full set of Mavrik irons, and had the best competitive golf year I’ve ever played.
What Callaway has done here, is take everything that I loved about that 2014 set, and made it better. Way better. While I cannot speak to performance, I will speak to the excitement. This is going to make waves! And not just since the face has waves (seriously how cool is it that AI has put waves in the face to make it better?!).

If you asked me a month ago what irons I would be playing in 2021, I’d have 100% no doubt told you Mavrik. They are that good. But today, having the nostalgia factor of the Apex name, some just wicked cool technology, and the options here; permission was granted by the wife to game a set of Apex this year.

I’ve signed up for a fitting on Feb 6th already, but hoping components come in sooner for my fitter. I am heavily heavily interested in the triple play combo, not just because it looks pretty, or sounds awesome, but because Callaway really thought about it. I love the intentionality that went into the combo sets.

Thanks. I was curious since the TCB has the "Apex" name on it unlike the X-Forged.
It looks like the irons Jon Rahm and Xander are playing.

Another fantastic write up, @Jman! Wow, Callaway has come strong with this lineup. Those Pros are absolutely gorgeous.

@Jman nice write up! These look very nice and really appreciate Callaway thinking about blending the sets together....

Query for you on the combo sets. The irons come with different shafts in them, so for the Apex Triple Play or something, would you be able to standardize on a particular shaft from one of the 3 standard irons and have them across the set? How would that change the performance characteristics for the iron?

Great write up @Jman

I really like all 3 of them. The Pro's were close to perfect in appearance, could have done without the word tungsten on them but that's a very minor thing. Still are very drool worthy.

Im actually most interested in the DCB. I've always wished the Apex line were a little longer heel to toe and sounds like these ones will be, while retaining Apex feel and performance.

@Jman nice write up! These look very nice and really appreciate Callaway thinking about blending the sets together....

Query for you on the combo sets. The irons come with different shafts in them, so for the Apex Triple Play or something, would you be able to standardize on a particular shaft from one of the 3 standard irons and have them across the set? How would that change the performance characteristics for the iron?

Yes. For the combo sets, they make some changes in tooling to allow for the same shaft across the clubs. For instance, in the Apex/Apex Pro combo, they do a little magic on the Apex Pros to accept a parallel tip shaft so that shaft choice can be consistent across the set.

Back