First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Im actually most interested in the DCB. I've always wished the Apex line were a little longer heel to toe and sounds like these ones will be, while retaining Apex feel and performance.

I have a picture earlier in the thread of the soles of each and it kind of shows that.
The DCB will be a heck of a sleeper here and I know @JDax had a chance to try them out and loved them.

Those are the clubs that are already out right?
If you look at the badging in the picture, it clearly says "Apex" and not X-Forged so those wouldn't be the same.

Fantastic review @Jman !! I have never owned any of the Apex line of irons and most likely won't have them in my bag in the near future, but if my game and budget were I thought I could swing them (literally and figuratively speaking) then I would love to play them. These are some stunning looking irons and the tech is off the chain.

I have a picture earlier in the thread of the soles of each and it kind of shows that.
The DCB will be a heck of a sleeper here and I know @JDax had a chance to try them out and loved them.
*Redacted* no more...

I’m going to work REALLY hard on my game this year so I can bag those Pros eventually!!
If I waited for my game to catch up with my equipment I wouldn't never buy anything.
Bet with the right fitting you could make those work.

these are appealing, will be trying them out for sure. 2021 going back to the buttery forged.

The Apex Pro 21 looks really good. Very classic look to it that will be appealing to a lot of players.

Impressive lineup. I haven't gamed Callaway irons since I got a free set of Big Berthas years ago, but these have my attention in a big way.

Awesome review James. Callaway is bringing it this year to say the least. That review right there provided so much information that has me itching for more. All three lines look absolutely fantastic, but those Apex Pros have me drooling. Question is do I have the game for them.

This is going to be a fun thread!!!

Well written article @Jman these are fantastic looking irons! ALL of them. The pros are a bit of a surprise I think but since that is a popular direction for irons these days it makes sense for Callaway to offer one. What better than the Apex line. Looking forward to taking a few swings with these. That DCB is definitely interesting.

When I next look at irons these will likely be first in line. I played two models of Callaway player category irons in last decade or so and they make superb stuff. These appear handsomely made and with upgrades in technology.

Great to see the move over the AI faces for all of the line, Hollow body surprised me in the write up but with the Tech they will work. Leave the Tungsten badging off and it would be perfect IMO. I will try them as the DCB sounds interesting to me.

Very nice review and explanation. These irons look quite good. Interesting in that they appear to have a variety of combo potential, Callaway has embraced that in the '19's, and now there are even more options to combo.

If you look at the badging in the picture, it clearly says "Apex" and not X-Forged so those wouldn't be the same.
Hmmmm, that's interesting/strange. Seems like exactly the same club? Maybe it's a version for combo'ing only???

Last edited:
The Pros really do look better in these pictures although the tungsten seems a little unnecessary. Otherwise they did really well. The rest of the lineup looks like a nice evolution design wise.

I imagine it had to be a little knee shaking to commit to going full hollow body in the Pro model for the design team. It sounds like there's a ton of tech packed in those heads to keep there performance up. Hollow body heads always make me a little leery on the feel front so I'm excited to check that aspect it.

I love that they have the multiple combo sets available immediately. That's a great move on Callaway's part.

Very cool that the AI Flash Face Cup will help spin robustness. Not just speed, but forgiveness—which, as someone who uses the entire face, I desperately need.

Very cool that the AI Flash Face Cup will help spin robustness. Not just speed, but forgiveness—which, as someone who uses the entire face, I desperately need.

In early testing, we are seeing some pretty fantastic results low on the face. If that is someone's miss, both the Apex and DCB are pretty darn interesting.

If I was in the market for new irons these would be first on the list to try. These are a thing of beauty!

@Jman nice write up! These look very nice and really appreciate Callaway thinking about blending the sets together....

Query for you on the combo sets. The irons come with different shafts in them, so for the Apex Triple Play or something, would you be able to standardize on a particular shaft from one of the 3 standard irons and have them across the set? How would that change the performance characteristics for the iron?
That triple play set sounded exactly like where I want to be.

Back