First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Wow, less than 10 hours and over 300 posts already, that was a lot to wade through! :LOL: Enjoyed the write-up @Jman, these look like they're going to be a HUGE hit for Callaway. Just to make sure I'm clear on the line - I'm currently playing Mavrik irons, so the DCBs would be the closest to them, with the next step up being the standard Apex 21s?

I feel the Apex 21 would be closest to the standard Mavrik. I believe Mavrik is right in between them, but leans much closer to Apex than it does DCB. The Apex21 would be a slight step up, but that is where the combo sets come into play and why they are pushing them so much this year; extra help in the longer irons with the DCB, but then the standard Apex starting at the 6.

edit to add: while I don't really want to get into a loft discussion, the 7 iron in the Apex 21 (30.5*) would more closely match the Mavrik 8 iron (31.5*) than it would the Mavrik 7 iron (27*). But a proper fitting would be the most beneficial to see what works best!

BTW, love that they went with the more matt finish on the APex Pro 21.

Interesting one...

I cant get the pro's out of my head, these and the mim's are constantly on my mind. I cant wait to hit both

I could see the DCB, Apex or Apex Pro being a good fit for me but I am unsure which one without seeing them in person. The combo sets are great and the DCB flows seamlessly with the Apex in looks and I would bet the DCB is just what most golfers need in the log irons. The Apex Pro's look great and I bet would be the best fit for me based on how well I hit the 19 pro's but I might have trouble with a combo set of such vastly different looking irons.

I love the looks of the Pro. I think they could have been even better if they would have just left the "Tungsten" badging off all together, but they are sharp looking either way. I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to give up distance from the Mav Pro, but I will definitely hit them this spring. Just to see, of course.

I like them, but seems that the lofts are quite strong... I am used to a 45* PW in my set.....

Either way, love how they stay with the Apex look - they obviously know what works.

I cant get the pro's out of my head, these and the mim's are constantly on my mind. I cant wait to hit both
I hear you loud and clear... rowing the same boat. And I love my '19 apex irons

Great write up and I can say is wow, wow, wow. I've been patiently waiting for these as I'm ready for new sticks this season and all I can think about is DCB. Could be the forgiveness I need along with that classic Apex look and new tech. My CF16's have served me well but I'm really excited about my next fitting after seeing and reading. Good news is I've been playing weekly simulator golf in the winter so my swing shouldn't be so rusty for an early season fitting.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I love the looks of the Pro. I think they could have been even better if they would have just left the "Tungsten" badging off all together, but they are sharp looking either way. I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to give up distance from the Mav Pro, but I will definitely hit them this spring. Just to see, of course.

i agree. mav pro distance is nice. curious how much i would lose if i went pro.

Lots of interesting nuggets in that article. The hollow body sounds interesting from playing the KFT all year. They do look to have a sleeker profile for sure. So many good looking irons out this year. I sound like a broken record every time something new is released.

Lots of interesting nuggets in that article. The hollow body sounds interesting from playing the KFT all year. They do look to have a sleeker profile for sure. So many good looking irons out this year. I sound like a broken record every time something new is released.

the pro 21 look WAY smaller than kft. maybe @JB can post some comparison pics.

the pro 21 look WAY smaller than kft. maybe @JB can post some comparison pics.

Definitely. To my eye the standard Apex are quite a bit smaller than KFT even.

i agree. mav pro distance is nice. curious how much i would lose if i went pro.
Same here. I'm definitely intrigued by Apex Pro and I'm sure I could play them. But I don't think I'm willing to give up much distance for improved feel or a profile I might like slightly better, especially since the distance on the Mav Pros has been really consistent for me.

Same here. I'm definitely intrigued by Apex Pro and I'm sure I could play them. But I don't think I'm willing to give up much distance for improved feel or a profile I might like slightly better, especially since the distance on the Mav Pros has been really consistent for me.

my mav pro are already 1* weak. loft to loft looks to be about 1.5* weaker in pro 21. and so often, in fittings i’m told i need more launch and more spin. so pro 21 may actually be a good idea for me.

my mav pro are already 1* weak. loft to loft looks to be about 1.5* weaker in pro 21. and so often, in fittings i’m told i need more launch and more spin. so pro 21 may actually be a good idea for me.
One things the guys touched on with the Pros were with the changes they made with the hollow body construction and the positions of the tungsten, they were seeing higher launch, especially on thin strikes, while gaining distance. Obviously those comparisons weren't made to the Mav Pros, but it sounds like it could be promising

Last edited:
One things the guys touched on with the Pro's were with the changes they made with the hollow body construction and the positions of the tungsten, they were seeing higher launch, especially on thin strikes, while gaining distance. Obviously those comparisons weren't made to the Mav Pros, but it sounds like it could be promising

if they do launch well, i might get away with 1* strong and get even closer to my mav pro loft. i might try to get some numbers on a monitor, and do a distance fitting to see what they recommend. if trade values hold somewhat steady and they do a bonus, i don’t think i can resist.

This is the real tragedy of no Grandaddy this year. Today we would be getting tons of reviews from THPers that have been playing these irons for the last month or so. And with the scope of that release I imagine nearly everyone would be playing an Apex of some sort. They look fantastic! Those Pros mmmm....

I used to be a big Callaway fan but I haven't liked much of what they have released in the last ~18 months, and this whole lineup is an aesthetic downgrade from the previous Apex models. The only exception is the DCB which is a worthwhile addition and should be preferred by many players who would otherwise play Bertha or Mavrik irons.

I really do not understand the Apex Pro or the TCB which feel like strange additions to this lineup. The TCB should be part of the X Forged family, and the new Apex pro deserves it's own name given its completely different aesthetic and club design. The Apex Pro seems to be a direct response to the P770.

I also think all of these clubs would look much better if the Apex logo was 3/4 of the size. Way too big.

Back