Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

View attachment 8987655

They arrived!

First impressions below following an extended gapping session and hitting them side by side against my current gamers (JPX 921 Tour).

FYI - I have the KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff shafts in my ZX7's, and the Project X 6.5 in the 921 Tours, so this is by no means a perfect head to head comparison.

The ZX7's look so good in the flesh. In the bag I still love the look of the 921 Tours but the ZX7's look seriously mean. At address the ZX7 looks a little more squat, and the marginally thicker top line in the longer irons inspires a bit more confidence. By comparison the 921 Tour longer irons look quite scary at address. Personal preference but I am a big fan of the ZX7 at address.

The ZX7's go far for players irons. I found my carry distances were ~8 metres longer across the entire set, so bordering on a full club for me. I didn't necessarily need the distance but I can say with confidence I hit a 9 iron better than my 8 iron, and so on, so this can only help my game.

Spin numbers were solid, a touch lower than the tours but still within desired ranges. However, given the added carry comparing 7 irons is not really the whole story. I found the 921 Tour 6 iron and the ZX7 7 iron to perform identically, so it's a case of ignoring what's stamped on the club and focussing on how each irons performs at each distance.

Forgivness is outstanding on the ZX7. I was crushing the ZX7 5 iron shot after shot with identical carry distances, and it seemed to matter little whether it was a good or poor strike. I previously thought the 921 Tours were quite forgiving for this category of iron, but by comparison they were punishing my bad strikes, with both a loss in carry and greater left/right dispersion (likely due to the added spin and smaller cavity).

The feel on the ZX7's is great. On good strikes I love the feel on both irons, but if you miss the middle the ZX7's feel much nicer in the hands than the 921 Tours without any loss in feedback. The difference in shaft is probably contributing a little here.

For those that read my previous posts.. the 4 iron is still on the way as it is apparently out of stock in AUS. I currently have my 3 Hyrbid at 22 degrees, but will go back to 20 degrees based on how far I expect to hit the ZX7 4 iron.

I ended up keeping the ZX7 AW after being given the chance to hit it and then decide if I wanted it. It felt so much nicer to hit than my RTX4 50* wedge. However, I think I will need to bend it a degree or so strong in order to improve the gapping into the PW.

First proper round on Thursday.

Very nice. I particularly appreciate the comparison to the Jpx921 Tours as those are one of the 2 best 7i’s I have hit so far in my testing for new irons. I’m biting my lip trying to avoid ordering these right now. 😬 Must hold on until early Feb.

Combo set ordered !
Noob question: how did you go about ordering the combo set? Did you order each club individually?

I have been stifled in my efforts to find a demo set to hit. It’s going to happen but man is it starting to get annoying.

Awesome impressions! Could you throw up a couple pics on the A wedge ?
Noob question: how did you go about ordering the combo set? Did you order each club individually?

I have been stifled in my efforts to find a demo set to hit. It’s going to happen but man is it starting to get annoying.
so on their site, they have some set combo options that you can order, already dialed up.
I ordered each iron individually bc I only wanted the lofts changed in the zx7 and the split wasn’t available. I believe they have it 4-7 and 4-6 zx5 and then the rest Zx7 on the site. No AW in the combo sets, so added that.
Let me know if you have other ?s

so on their site, they have some set combo options that you can order, already dialed up.
I ordered each iron individually bc I only wanted the lofts changed in the zx7 and the split wasn’t available. I believe they have it 4-7 and 4-6 zx5 and then the rest Zx7 on the site. No AW in the combo sets, so added that.
Let me know if you have other ?s

It’s a little strange they don’t have any shaft options on their website yet. The Nippon Modus3 Tour is the only steel shaft offered and it’s not one that fits as well as my DGX100 AMT. I have no need for them until our course opens in April and I’m sure that other shafts will become available soon.

It’s a little strange they don’t have any shaft options on their website yet. The Nippon Modus3 Tour is the only steel shaft offered and it’s not one that fits as well as my DGX100 AMT. I have no need for them until our course opens in April and I’m sure that other shafts will become available soon.
You can click customize once you have the set selected and then pull up all the shaft options .

You can click customize once you have the set selected and then pull up all the shaft options .

Thanks! I’m super happy to see all the non-charge different shafts including the TT Tour White AMT that I will likely order. Now I just have to decide the set makeup. I’m leaning 5&6 iron ZX5 and 7-GW ZX7.

Thanks! I’m super happy to see all the non-charge different shafts including the TT Tour White AMT that I will likely order. Now I just have to decide the set makeup. I’m leaning 5&6 iron ZX5 and 7-GW ZX7.
I was really back and forth and it took some assessing of my game to decide on my make up.

two of my par 3s are in the 190 neighborhood depending on the day, so I like to have a little more precision in my 6iron, so I got that in the ZX7. I gamed a 718 AP combo, and played the AP2 6 iron without issue, so I figured this will be even better.

with 5iron, I’m typically just trying to hit the green. Anywhere on the green. So thought that would be a good spot for the ZX5.

let us know what you decide to go with !

I was really back and forth and it took some assessing of my game to decide on my make up.

two of my par 3s are in the 190 neighborhood depending on the day, so I like to have a little more precision in my 6iron, so I got that in the ZX7. I gamed a 718 AP combo, and played the AP2 6 iron without issue, so I figured this will be even better.

with 5iron, I’m typically just trying to hit the green. Anywhere on the green. So thought that would be a good spot for the ZX5.

let us know what you decide to go with !
Only reason I went straight is I don't play a 4 iron and only needed the 5 iron for gapping and didn't want just a single iron different in the setup.

Just got the call, irons are in and I can pick up this afternoon!!!!

And they have been picked up. Pics tonight

And they have been picked up. Pics tonight
I am really pleasantly surprised these are getting out so fast. Very, very pleased that I will be changing my signature soon.

Just got the email from Fed Ex. Friday is go time.

I'm so excited for all you guys that are getting them soon! And @Snickerdog especially. He really enjoyed them and I think feels pretty confident in his order, and I'm excited for his year.

They're so good. I played them today and despite a few less than great swings, scored my butt off. They drift through the turf so nicely, and play well in the wind, and let you know where you are, and so many other things. I'm just pumped for all the awesome golf headed you guys' way.

And the pictures!!:p

Last edited:
As an example I ordered my combo set on 1/6..delivery will be 1/16 to Boston.
They also allowed me to change the order from a complete set of ZX5s to a Combo set via email..great customer Service..:)

As an example I ordered my combo set on 1/6..delivery will be 1/16 to Boston.
They also allowed me to change the order from a complete set of ZX5s to a Combo set via email..great customer Service..:)
That is amazing CS!!!!!

So I picked them up this afternoon. Drew at Golf USA had them already de stickered, lie angle was checked and was 1 flat is it was supposed to be all the lofts where good
ZX7 5-PW Modus 120S GP MCC+4 Green
V-sole
17D04502-C03A-4E56-A2AB-A5E73CD25CF6.jpeg
Love the bright greengrips

90E7A3FC-AF7A-4C50-8E53-C1F79BB713A9.jpeg
Top view of 5&6
E66F3B78-4743-40DD-9A1F-8E3747F1DDA3.jpeg
The Bag
C8419366-63FA-481A-B1E0-AA7A44889DF3.jpeg

So I picked them up this afternoon. Drew at Golf USA had them already de stickered, lie angle was checked and was 1 flat is it was supposed to be all the lofts where good
ZX7 5-PW Modus 120S GP MCC+4 Green
V-sole
View attachment 8987864
Love the bright greengrips

View attachment 8987865
Top view of 5&6
View attachment 8987866
The Bag
View attachment 8987867
Awesome!! When do they get dirty?

And I'm almost afraid to ask, but.. what is the reason behind the green grips?

If it's the the thing I think it might be though, maybe don't tell me. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back