First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

my mav pro are already 1* weak. loft to loft looks to be about 1.5* weaker in pro 21. and so often, in fittings i’m told i need more launch and more spin. so pro 21 may actually be a good idea for me.

Are you trying to talk yourself into a pre-order?

I used to be a big Callaway fan but I haven't liked much of what they have released in the last ~18 months, and this whole lineup is an aesthetic downgrade from the previous Apex models. The only exception is the DCB which is a worthwhile addition and should be preferred by many players who would otherwise play Bertha or Mavrik irons.

I really do not understand the Apex Pro or the TCB which feel like strange additions to this lineup. The TCB should be part of the X Forged family, and the new Apex pro deserves it's own name given its completely different aesthetic and club design. The Apex Pro seems to be a direct response to the P770.

I also think all of these clubs would look much better if the Apex logo was 3/4 of the size. Way too big.
Earlier in the thread, a member of the 2019 Grandaddy quoted/summarized that Callaway wouldn't be making a hollow body iron just to make it. I'm sure the upgrades/work they've put in has warranted giving these irons the Apex name. Just because it's hollow body, doesn't mean it's not a continuation of the previous Pro line. Regarding it being a direct response to P770s, it's not like these clubs were just made up on the spot in the last couple months. These arguments are always entertaining

I have to admit, this is the first time I’ve even considered looking at combining a set.

my mav pro are already 1* weak. loft to loft looks to be about 1.5* weaker in pro 21. and so often, in fittings i’m told i need more launch and more spin. so pro 21 may actually be a good idea for me.
Pre-order is 1/26...

TCB... UK only release to start.

F8B90285-92AE-4BAE-9E19-E5E9E363108E.jpeg

Last edited:
Loving all the buzz in this thread. Lots to be excited about!!

I wish Callaway would build a comparison chart on their website. with drop downs, like what is on Mizzys website. For offset, blade length, top line etc..

Last edited:
I wish Callaway would build a comparison chart on their website. with drop downs, like what is on Mizzys website. For offset, blade length, too line etc..
Different than this?

1610493641701.png

Different than this?

View attachment 8987857

Yep.... Like this..

.1610493963396.png

I hadn't considered Callaway Apex in the past. But looking at the Apex 21's and doing some research has piqued my interest in these. I have been considering different irons to replace my Titleist 716 Ap1's. I have tried a few and nothing has felt or performed like them. This spring I am going to try a few new sets and these are definitely one of the sets. I like that they have a slight offset like AP1's, the thing that might not work for me is the top line. I couldn't find a measurement for the top line anywhere so I am a little leery about these. The sole width is another thing that I have to look at too. My eye doesn't sit well with a thick toppling nor a wide sole. We shall ee but I am interested to give them a shot. This is the year to possibly swap out my irons and I will give these a try for sure.

I hadn't considered Callaway Apex in the past. But looking at the Apex 21's and doing some research has piqued my interest in these. I have been considering different irons to replace my Titleist 716 Ap1's. I have tried a few and nothing has felt or performed like them. This spring I am going to try a few new sets and these are definitely one of the sets. I like that they have a slight offset like AP1's, the thing that might not work for me is the top line. I couldn't find a measurement for the top line anywhere so I am a little leery about these. The sole width is another thing that I have to look at too. My eye doesn't sit well with a thick toppling nor a wide sole. We shall ee but I am interested to give them a shot. This is the year to possibly swap out my irons and I will give these a try for sure.
All you can do is give them a shot! These definitely deserve the look!

My current ponder:
4 in the X Forged UT
5 to 7 in the Apex Pro
8 to PW Apex MB

I need to see the 8 to PW Mbs and Apex Pros though.

“the blending of forgiveness and all-out performance had never been done like that before”

Yeah, I don’t agree with this statement. Taylormade’s Rocketbladez irons did it first. Having owned both the Rocketbladez and the 2014 Apex, I think I’m qualified to say that. The Rocketbladez blew me away on both forgiveness and performance, the Apex not so much. However, the Apex did look better and feel better. Your mileage may vary.......

I used to be a big Callaway fan but I haven't liked much of what they have released in the last ~18 months, and this whole lineup is an aesthetic downgrade from the previous Apex models. The only exception is the DCB which is a worthwhile addition and should be preferred by many players who would otherwise play Bertha or Mavrik irons.

I really do not understand the Apex Pro or the TCB which feel like strange additions to this lineup. The TCB should be part of the X Forged family, and the new Apex pro deserves it's own name given its completely different aesthetic and club design. The Apex Pro seems to be a direct response to the P770.

I also think all of these clubs would look much better if the Apex logo was 3/4 of the size. Way too big.
I'll agree that the TCB (whatever it is - Tour Only maybe?) should be part of the X-forged family, but I disagree with the idea that the Pro 21s are somehow out of place. If they were just a small players forging I would agree that the overlap with XFCB is a bit redundant, but for Callaway to add a sleek, techy, hollow body is a welcome addition IMO.

I'll agree that the TCB (whatever it is - Tour Only maybe?) should be part of the X-forged family, but I disagree with the idea that the Pro 21s are somehow out of place. If they were just a small players forging I would agree that the overlap with XFCB is a bit redundant, but for Callaway to add a sleek, techy, hollow body is a welcome addition IMO.

Being released in the UK only for now. Apparently may release in the US as a special type order in April/May. So if you have a UK hookup, you may be able to nab a set now.

02D5EC0C-DB3E-44B2-9B6D-276DB81AFDBE.jpeg
Something for everyone...

It always felt like the Apex Pros and the XForged occupied the same spot isn’t the lineup. This is a good move for them and creates more differentiation between the two lines.

My current ponder:
4 in the X Forged UT
5 to 7 in the Apex Pro
8 to PW Apex MB

I need to see the 8 to PW Mbs and Apex Pros though.
This was my thought also-
6-7 apex pro
8-pw mb

If I were to pre-order today:

5-AW Pro 21 - MMT TX 105
5 iron - DCB - MMT TX 105 (if shaft is compatible?)

I'd like to mess around with both 5i's and maybe substitute one for different courses. Could probably play it as a 4i too.

If I were to pre-order today:

5-AW Pro 21 - MMT TX 105
5 iron - DCB - MMT TX 105 (if shaft is compatible?)

I'd like to mess around with both 5i's and maybe substitute one for different courses. Could probably play it as a 4i too.

Those MMTs are so tempting, for me to go outside the box. I've read many good reviews.

Back