First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

If I were to pre-order today:

5-AW Pro 21 - MMT TX 105
5 iron - DCB - MMT TX 105 (if shaft is compatible?)

I'd like to mess around with both 5i's and maybe substitute one for different courses. Could probably play it as a 4i too.
You’ll be able to get the MMT in that one

Those MMTs are so tempting, for me to go outside the box. I've read many good reviews.
A bit risky for me, going with the lighter weight - but I trust the process. I wonder if the Recoil Proto 125s would maybe be a better fit for me than MMT 105 - but I'm usually too cheap to pay that upcharge anyways. I enjoy X100 or PX6.0 just fine, so I presume the MMT TX would be similar.
You’ll be able to get the MMT in that one
Sweet.

A bit risky for me, going with the lighter weight - but I trust the process. I wonder if the Recoil Proto 125s would maybe be a better fit for me than MMT 105 - but I'm usually too cheap to pay that upcharge anyways. I enjoy X100 or PX6.0 just fine, so I presume the MMT TX would be similar.

Sweet.
Knowing what you like, I think you would enjoy them.

These pros are amazing looking

Need to stay away from here. Everyday something new and cool. Nice looking release for sure.

question about comboing. sorry if i missed this in the article. what is the difference between the mixed combo (std and pro) vs ordering individual standard and pro irons for an a la carte combo? i’m fuzzy on what exactly the “tooling” is.

I am thinking I definitely need to hit these. I think the DCB 4/5 and Apex in 6-AW is the lean. Not sure I really need a 4. But am leaning towards a set AW. Might even think DCB to the 6 or maybe even 7 although I don't know that I would need that much help in the 7.

Need to stay away from here. Everyday something new and cool. Nice looking release for sure.
Hold on tight, this is just the beginning of the releases.

It is interesting how different people respond differently to the various OEM offerings. A recent offering from another OEM that's loosely in the same category has rather large lettering with the club name and I don't recall many people saying it looked busy. No biggie, just an observation.
I feel like that one is more busy than these Pro's. There's more than just big letters going on on the back of that one. These seem smoother.

question about comboing. sorry if i missed this in the article. what is the difference between the mixed combo (std and pro) vs ordering individual standard and pro irons for an a la carte combo? i’m fuzzy on what exactly the “tooling” is.

from the way it was touched on, these are not the ‘off the rack’ heads. Take the triple play, where Pw and Aw are Pro’s: the pro heads are manufactured to match the set, i.e., the tooling and manufacturing process of those heads is specific to them as opposed to the Pro’s in a non combo set. They are manufactured with the parallel tip, and manufactured at the correct loft; as opposed to bending or having to use shims. These aren’t the same heads even though they are the same model. They are purpose built to match, instead of just being ‘able’ to match the set.

from the way it was touched on, these are not the ‘off the rack’ heads. Take the triple play, where Pw and Aw are Pro’s: the pro heads are manufactured to match the set, i.e., the tooling and manufacturing process of those heads is specific to them as opposed to the Pro’s in a non combo set. They are manufactured with the parallel tip, and manufactured at the correct loft; as opposed to bending or having to use shims. These aren’t the same heads even though they are the same model. They are purpose built to match, instead of just being ‘able’ to match the set.
Great explanation Neil!

Haha in regards to your reaction to one of my posts, I take it you wanted to customize the mixed set a little differently @OldandStiff

Haha in regards to your reaction to one of my posts, I take it you wanted to customize the mixed set a little differently @OldandStiff
Yes. First time for everything I suppose, but that break point has never worked for me.

i figured it had to be more than just the hosel bore. sounds like there is some sole grind/bounce work as well.

another combo question. we were at the grandaddy and they blew our minds with each mavrik iron having individually ai’d faces. i asked about comboing. it didn’t seem to make sense given the ai on the faces, and @DNevsCG confirmed. so i’m wondering, in the combo sets, are the faces different than an a la carte iron? like, is the triple play pro 21 pw face different than the regular full set pro 21 pw face?

Yes. First time for everything I suppose, but that break point has never worked for me.
I asked specifically since I was thinking of a break point at a different spot too. But I’m still very much looking forward to trying it out

Great write up. Loving the looks of the irons and all the options. I play the CF19s and they have been nothing but exceptional I am sure these are going to be great. No new irons from me this year (but these are so shiny and new) as will be working on other parts of the bag.

i'll get the exact quote wrong, but i recall in our meeting with callaway's design team at the 2019 grandaddy, doc hoc said something to the effect of "we won't make a hollowbody iron just to make a hollowbody iron. we'll make a hollowbody iron when there's a reason to make a hollowbody iron." that's pretty encouraging. it tells me they put a lot of thought and design and purpose into this model, so i'm excited to try it and learn more.

That is a very good mission statement! Don't make something just to make something!

Back