First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

It will be interesting to see how many fit into the stock shafts with these. I have heard a lot of good things about the MMT!

Don't sleep on the grip they chose to wrap these bad boys in! It may replace the Tour Velvet for me after 15 years of use.

Pro’s 4-PW.
Recoils 125 F5 to match.
Done.
When you are taking a week off, send them this way because I am in full ponder on this exact set up!

Apex pro 5-AW

Big question is stick with the PX that I have had in the last few sets or try the Elevate tours.

I’m a believer of the recoils and been playing em in my X Forged for the last 2 years.

I want to try the 125s.

i figured it had to be more than just the hosel bore. sounds like there is some sole grind/bounce work as well.

another combo question. we were at the grandaddy and they blew our minds with each mavrik iron having individually ai’d faces. i asked about comboing. it didn’t seem to make sense given the ai on the faces, and @DNevsCG confirmed. so i’m wondering, in the combo sets, are the faces different than an a la carte iron? like, is the triple play pro 21 pw face different than the regular full set pro 21 pw face?

IIRC from the CF-19 combo set the same “tooling” process was done. The faces and tech stayed the same but tooling allowed the transition to blend easier between sets instead of just picking clubs from each line and making your combo set. I can’t imagine the A.I. Or tech changes just because combo sets are made

Apex pro 5-AW

Big question is stick with the PX that I have had in the last few sets or try the Elevate tours.
Reminder that the Apex Pros shafts will have tapered tips due to the difference in hosel size. Not sure on the tip size of your current shafts, just something to think about

James, great write up and presentation of these bad boys!
Apex 19 have been a great iron but reading about the 21s is so exciting! As a higher cap I love hearing/seeing the DCB option and even better is an option for combo! Tech sounds amazing and use of AI to push design limits is crazy!

Would like some Cally Apex clarification on one point: The MMT graphite option definitely grabbed my attention. So, I looked up the 95 weight class on the MCA website and guess what? It isn't there. Across both the taper and parallel versions there are 85,90, and 105s --no 95s. So is the 95 a made-for version

Reminder that the Apex Pros shafts will have tapered tips due to the difference in hosel size. Not sure on the tip size of your current shafts, just something to think about

The Apex Pros I had from 16 had those shafts. Same with my XForged from 18 and the 21. I’m guessing they should work, I’ll find out if they are an option when the pre order page is up.

Holy cow! 17 pages in the first day, think these are anticipated? :)

There might be some desire to talk about and learn more about them. And just think, there's more good stuff to come from Callaway. ;)👍:D

View attachment 8987885

With the mention of their shorter blade length, vs the Pros being (from a couple reviews) just a fraction longer than the 19's, these have my intense interest.

I think the pros look great. The TCB from the pictures I have seen I am not sure I am a fan.. they are a bit too rounded. Seem even more round than mizuno.. and that is what they are known for.

cant jump to too big of a conclusion off a picture. But so far.. not the biggest fan of that look.

Looking forward to hearing impressions from the THP showcase.

i figured it had to be more than just the hosel bore. sounds like there is some sole grind/bounce work as well.

another combo question. we were at the grandaddy and they blew our minds with each mavrik iron having individually ai’d faces. i asked about comboing. it didn’t seem to make sense given the ai on the faces, and @DNevsCG confirmed. so i’m wondering, in the combo sets, are the faces different than an a la carte iron? like, is the triple play pro 21 pw face different than the regular full set pro 21 pw face?

I don’t believe the faces or Ai tech was done any different on the re-tooled combo heads, but I cannot say for certain. What I will say, is that there definitely a different vibe around combo sets than I have ever seen or heard from Callaway. This isn’t just that combo sets are an option, combo sets have moved to the forefront. They are seriously excited to have these in a way that wouldn’t surprise to me find out that there is a lot more that went on with combo sets than we have been told thus far.

I think the pros look great. The TCB from the pictures I have seen I am not sure I am a fan.. they are a bit too rounded. Seem even more round than mizuno.. and that is what they are known for.

cant jump to too big of a conclusion off a picture. But so far.. not the biggest fan of that look.
But Mizunos are long. These should be a lot more compact. And they look it. Even on TV. I like compact. The X Forged are pretty round, and these sound like a smaller/better X Forged. My only big complaint with the X Forged is the damn offset. Is these are more compact with a little less, I'm in. That size with hollow and tungsten? 🔥 They'll combo beautifully with the MB's, or play well on their own.

But Mizunos are long. These should be a lot more compact. And they look it. Even on TV. I like compact. The X Forged are pretty round, and these sound like a smaller/better X Forged. My only big complaint with the X Forged is the damn offset. Is these are more compact with a little less, I'm in. They'll combo beautifully with the MB's, or play well on their own.

i understand where you coming from. The x forged do have a smidge too much offset..these couldn’t potentially be better looking in person.

i understand where you coming from. The x forged do have a smidge too much offset..these couldn’t potentially be better looking in person.
It honestly sounds like they're the same hollow tech as in the pro's, just a smaller package.

oh man those are some seriously great looking options. Really hope I can get to hit this later this year. Curious how I get along with a couple of those. Love how much tech in these. Seriously great sounding line up all around.

Damnit @jmam !

Don’t think thentagging works here but I was already convinced on a set of MP18’s new or gently used or if adventurous, Sub70 699’s with LW graphite.

I’m on full ponder on 2021 irons. Right now I’m planning on rocking RAZR X-forged with mad scoentist lead tape all around them (placed there when I thought I knew what I was doing).

I think through the years I’ve found what works for me only to have a Sim session like I did today, lol.

Damnit @jmam !

Don’t think thentagging works here but I was already convinced on a set of MP18’s new or gently used or if adventurous, Sub70 699’s with LW graphite.

I’m on full ponder on 2021 irons. Right now I’m planning on rocking RAZR X-forged with mad scoentist lead tape all around them (placed there when I thought I knew what I was doing).

I think through the years I’ve found what works for me only to have a Sim session like I did today, lol.
Hahaha! These definitely look pretty special!

Hahaha! These definitely look pretty special!

Most definitely. My brain is just friend on what to get. Plus I’ll just end up playing Jr’s hand Me down MP18’s.

Always good clubs. Thatnks for the review!

Back