First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I know what I'm going to be dreaming about tonight.. And struggling with a decision of whether to pull the trigger and if so, which set!!

I know what I'm going to be dreaming about tonight.. And struggling with a decision of whether to pull the trigger and if so, which set!!
I have sleep concerns as well. I shouldn't have re-read the entire thread at midnight.

GREAT review @Jman! I haven't played Callaway clubs before, but these are looking like a serious contender - and I wasn't even considering changing clubs this year after just getting into a set of MP-18 SC!

The Apex Pro 21 look absolutely stunning. They have so many features I LOVE, and the finish is about perfect! I seriously need to try these.

Been patiently waiting (yeah right) for this day, and it was worth the wait. Was pretty amazed that they kept under wraps as well as they did. The tech all the way through the different sets will be interesting to hear more as the days go by and to listen to all the tests and numbers. Really was looking forward to what they were going to do with the pros, and I am overjoyed by what I see. Got rid of my pros 19 about a month ago and was always second-guessing it but now that is over. Will be leaning mostly towards the pros, But will give the others a try also just to see the look and the feel and the numbers in comparison. Bravo Callaway.

If you look at the badging in the picture, it clearly says "Apex" and not X-Forged so those wouldn't be the same.
So finally found some info on this one. This article says they are custom order only. Sounds like it may be a very similar or almost exactly the same version of the X-Forged that is specifically made for blending into Apex sets. Maybe someone else can confirm.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/callaway-apex-21-irons-and-hybrids-launched-216661

But Mizunos are long. These should be a lot more compact. And they look it. Even on TV. I like compact. The X Forged are pretty round, and these sound like a smaller/better X Forged. My only big complaint with the X Forged is the damn offset. Is these are more compact with a little less, I'm in. That size with hollow and tungsten? 🔥 They'll combo beautifully with the MB's, or play well on their own.
Yeah, the offset on the X Forged 8 iron for example, is rough to look at. Of course, all sins are forgiven if they perform for you though.

If I were to pre-order today:

5-AW Pro 21 - MMT TX 105
5 iron - DCB - MMT TX 105 (if shaft is compatible?)

I'd like to mess around with both 5i's and maybe substitute one for different courses. Could probably play it as a 4i too.

I like a big cavity back GI iron as a type of utility iron. They launch higher and have more forgiveness than a typical utility. I feel like they play much better out of the rough too if you find yourself in a long recovery situation. This really depends what you're using that last long iron spot for though.

View attachment 8987885

With the mention of their shorter blade length, vs the Pros being (from a couple reviews) just a fraction longer than the 19's, these have my intense interest.

Rumour on the street maybe an April release in North America.... time will tell 😜.

Would like some Cally Apex clarification on one point: The MMT graphite option definitely grabbed my attention. So, I looked up the 95 weight class on the MCA website and guess what? It isn't there. Across both the taper and parallel versions there are 85, 90, and 105s --no 95s. So is the 95 a made-for version

I had same question, I have sent a note to my Callaway rep, will post when I get a response. Matters when it comes to flex as the MCA site has a fitting chart (swing speed) that aligns to their shaft offerings. Weights just don’t line up.

@JB @Jman do you have any insight on the MMT shaft offering in the ‘21 Apex Pros in that weights don’t line up with the MMT shafts on the MCA site? Thanks.

Last edited:
I had same question, I have sent a note to my Callaway rep, will post when I get a response. Matters when it comes to flex as the MCA site has a fitting chart (swing speed) that aligns to their shaft offerings. Weights just don’t line up.

@JB @Jman do you have any insight on the MMT shaft offering in the ‘21 Apex Pros in that weights don’t line up with the MMT shafts on the MCA site? Thanks.
I looked at this on the Callaway shaft sheet, but it is still the 2020 version of their shaft sheet.

If they do a 50% trade in bonus on these I might have to buy a combo set on principle.

If they do a 50% trade in bonus on these I might have to buy a combo set on principle.
I think my wife might kill me if that happened. I really want these, but just got new irons in the summer of 2019.

So finally found some info on this one. This article says they are custom order only. Sounds like it may be a very similar or almost exactly the same version of the X-Forged that is specifically made for blending into Apex sets. Maybe someone else can confirm.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/callaway-apex-21-irons-and-hybrids-launched-216661

The only thing I can think is the difference is the face. The Apex line has A.I. face tech and the XCB don't. I cannot imagine they slap the Apex name on it without the benefits or presence of the Apex tech. That just seems odd and not a smart thing to do. Otherwise release TCB when you released XCB.

waaaaaaant them nooooooooow

I think my wife might kill me if that happened. I really want these, but just got new irons in the summer of 2019.

My current irons only have two rounds on them. Doesn't change my feelings on it though! I'm weak when it comes to new and shiny. Shafts will be the big question for me.

waaaaaaant them nooooooooow

couple more weeks til preorder. plenty of time to waffle all over the place before landing on a final build.

couple more weeks til preorder. plenty of time to waffle all over the place before landing on a final build.
Apex Pro with the AMT Whites.

I will gladly trade my money with Callaway for that build.

My current irons only have two rounds on them. Doesn't change my feelings on it though! I'm weak when it comes to new and shiny. Shafts will be the big question for me.

My current set has no rounds on them and I’m debating what shafts i want to test with these before I purchase.

These will last me longer, honey. They're like a once in a generation release that fits me perfectly. I tried to be excited about my other ones, but they were never quite right for me and it's been a struggle. I didn't want to say anything about it because you're so supportive of me and I didn't want it to sound like I was complaining. I love you.

This works once.

These will last me longer, honey. They're like a once in a generation release that fits me perfectly. I tried to be excited about my other ones, but they were never quite right for me and it's been a struggle. I didn't want to say anything about it because you're so supportive of me and I didn't want it to sound like I was complaining. I love you.

This works once.

I need a spare set in case I'm traveling and the current set gets broken or lost. You wouldn't want me to go travel and break my clubs. I need a backup set!

This works once.

LMAO if I don't come back tomorrow you all know what happened to me.

Back