Those who’ve moved to Florida - hate it/love it?

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
Mrs. TLuke wants to move to Florida. I kinda do too. Nebraska winters are no fun anymore. We’re both retired, no kids, just a weeny dog. For those that have moved to Florida, do you love it or regret it?

What part of Florida are you thinking? I have lived here my entire life, and only left for college and law school. It's not as bad as people tend to say, but it's not as good either. What are the main reasons you are considering Florida? How do you feel about oppressive, unrelenting heat?

I think it will depend on the area that you are looking to move. We just moved from Northeast Ohio to Northeast Florida in March. Absolutely love the area...not to much tourism in this area unless you head down to St. Augustine. It's warm & gets in the 30-40's in Dec/Jan, but don't regret not having to see snow anymore.

Not me but my parents moved to the West Coast of FL (Ft. Myers) quite a few years ago now. They started out as snowbirds going down for 3-4 months then stretched to 6 months and went to full time. My father says he wishes he did it sooner. Regarding summers he plays golf early in the day and is in air conditioning from about 12 to 6 when it cools down and gets nice again. The year round weather in Ft Myers is great for golf for at least 9 months and most days you can play golf in shorts even through the winter.

My wife has an issue with FL for some reason otherwise I would be pushing her to look for a place down there soon.

What part of Florida are you thinking? I have lived here my entire life, and only left for college and law school. It's not as bad as people tend to say, but it's not as good either. What are the main reasons you are considering Florida? How do you feel about oppressive, unrelenting heat?
Well, we’ve wintered in Inverness/Lakeside Country Club the past couple of years and enjoyed it. Laid back small community. We’re looking in this area and Ocala as well. Nebraska can be just as horrible as well with the heat and humidity in the summer. My bones need warmth and not cold. Just tired of state and property taxes. I can pocket $8k a year on that alone. Arizona is too brown.

Well, we’ve wintered in Inverness/Lakeside Country Club the past couple of years and enjoyed it. Laid back small community. We’re looking in this area and Ocala as well. Nebraska can be just as horrible as well with the heat and humidity in the summer. My bones need warmth and not cold. Just tired of state and property taxes. I can pocket $8k a year on that alone. Arizona is too brown.
Here in a few years were looking to move south also, just need to get the kids into college and then BOOM GONE!
Nebraska's taxes and income and yada yada is so much of a can't even think of the word, its just tiresome..
I was thinking more dirty south, my wife was thinking Texas or New Mexico.. 🤷‍♂️

The closer you get to the coast, the more bearable summers are.

North Florida is certainly far from Miami, and much different. My aunt lives in Gainesville and likes it a lot, so long as you don't mind some college kids bumping around. I wouldn't hesitate to move up there, along with places like Lake Placid. You also get a very tiny bit of winter up there, which is nice.

Like @JB said the closer you get to the coast, the more bearable the summers are. The center of the state (like Ocala) is pretty brutal in the summer. You think you know humidity, but you don’t. I don’t say that to sound rude or condescending, I say that as someone who grew up in south Florida and then moved to Gainesville for college and then Clearwater after college. My time in Gainesville (and a brief time in Orlando) showed me that I didn’t know humidity either until I lived in the center of the state. It’s thick, unrelenting, take your breath away humid. It’s a whole different experience.

With that said, people live there, so it will depend on your tolerance for that type of weather. It was personally more than I could handle. I will say though, parts Of Ocala are absolutely beautiful. So much land. I’ll take a pass on the Ocala National Forest though haha.

Definitely have to agree with JB. There is no way in heck that I would live anywhere near the center of Florida. We are just 3 miles from the coast and while its hot we typically have a breeze.

We lived on Patrick AFB by Cocoa Beach for 3 years. While the humidity was rough, a storm came through every evening/afternoon all summer and it cooled down...which made a huge difference from never cooling down like the middle of the state (y)

I am 64 miles from Clearwater Beach so not quite the center but close, we do get some very hot months in the summer but the advantage to be more inland is a bit of buffer for the Hurricanes. Hot is hot and you can expect 8 months of AC full time anywhere you are and 3-4 months of sporadic beautiful open the windows and let the wind blow to maybe a bit of having the heat on in the morning to get the chill out.

Also Housing cost are much less than on either coast

Hurricanes are more of a "when" than an "if" of course its not much of a buffer if it is a big storm, but for the smaller ones it does make a difference with less flooding, etc. Our Insurance costs are much less and there are a lot of Golf courses, most are Tier 3-4 or lower unless you go private but $25-$30 golf all summer is nice.

my winters are not as bad as Nebraska but here is my take. My father moved his place in south central florida to me several years ago. When I retire in a few years I will go down about 8 weeks a year. Jan to end of Feb basically. Florida summers are not dramatically hotter or more humid then Kentucky but to be honest I don't like either.

when I go to the coast in the winter, it is noticibly crowded like a 45min wait at Red Lobster at 2pm on a Tuesday (real example) and I'm sure that gets old to some residents but they are generally pleasant.

If I was you I'd think about what you seek to do and experience. as a single residence, I'd take Tennessee over Florida. Has warm weather most of the year, seasons, no hurricanes and only tornados you already know

I hear the golf is easier to play there.

I've played a few courses in Florida and as courses go prefer northern courses. I think I don't like the greens or something. I'm not knocking Florida but the terraine and environemtent don't make it a top golf destination to me.

I've played a few courses in Florida and as courses go prefer northern courses. I think I don't like the greens or something. I'm not knocking Florida but the terraine and environemtent don't make it a top golf destination to me.
I hear there is a lot of this.

plugged-golf-ball.jpg

We spent two, 6 winter month stays in Florida. The first time (near Miami area) we didn't care for it.

The next time (near Orlando area) we gave it another chance, figuring the first time might have been a fluke. We didn't care for the second time either.

These two visits were new to us. In addition to some decent golf, I caught a lot of fish. Both ocean, and freshwater.

Our problem was we just didn't personally feel comfortably safe down there. Nothing serious ever happened, but there was always that uneasy feeling.

Last edited:
No personal experience, but my Uncle moved to Orlando after college in Eastern PA and never left.

hope I don't get banned but I'm a fisherman by first love and golf by second. fishing in Florida is heaven

We haven’t retired here yet because our youngest is still in high school but we will spend about 65 days down here this winter and can’t wait to be here 6 months each year. Here’s the sunset from about 10 minutes ago and it did not disappoint!!

FB73EA47-3FC5-43EF-B4A1-AC742CB2D88C.jpeg71092DF2-FD25-4497-AB8F-9C2991737919.jpeg7DA47618-90CC-41A9-8E0D-B3A5FCCD2304.jpegFEA7694F-861A-4550-A464-226A2ABE2D62.jpeg

Respectfully, Florida is most definitely a Top Golf Destination. 🤷‍♂️
I live in North East Florida. June, July and August are hot. And humid. Really humid. So I play early. Like the sun coming up early first group off the tee box. Done by 11-1130 AM.
The rest of the year is very pleasant. I just played 18 today. I was taking my pullover off by 10:30. Year around golf. It’s awesome. There are 14 great golf courses for less than 50 bucks within 30 minutes from my house. And many many more. World Golf Village, Sawgrass, Amelia Island is 45 mins. NFL Football. (Which is looking up).
Me and my family love it here.

Back