New Guitar on the way

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
Has anybody here who likes acoustic guitars ever played a Kevin Ryan? I have one shipping out to me on Monday. Should have it by the end of the week. I will post some photos.

I am cursed with huge hands. I can’t play guitar, but I can neck pick like a madman.

So no valuable insight but I wanted a notify when the pics show, lol. Hope you enjoy it!

I am cursed with huge hands. I can’t play guitar, but I can neck pick like a madman.

So no valuable insight but I wanted a notify when the pics show, lol. Hope you enjoy it!
I have seen some big hands do magic with the guitar. Long fingers, to be more precise. I am really looking forward to getting this one.

Never played one, but I just looked at their website. What amazing guitars, and what an amazing array of options you get to choose from. Congratulations, I'm sure it will be beautiful and I look forward to seeing some pics of it. A guitar like that is an heirloom!

Nuge!!

That dude can wrap his hands around the neck ten times before he has to worry about pressing down. Sadly mine are too fat to traditionally hold down a single string without impacting another.

I have huge hands all around. But I’ve compensated and can play reasonably well just by staying in the neck. I’m not good, but I’ll damn well act like I am if I hit something, lol.

Good luck on the new toy!

Nuge!!

That dude can wrap his hands around the neck ten times before he has to worry about pressing down. Sadly mine are too fat to traditionally hold down a single string without impacting another.

I have huge hands all around. But I’ve compensated and can play reasonably well just by staying in the neck. I’m not good, but I’ll damn well act like I am if I hit something, lol.

Good luck on the new toy!
Look up Redd Volkaert on YouTube. Dude has fingers like sausages, and he's a smokin' guitar player!

Has anybody here who likes acoustic guitars ever played a Kevin Ryan? I have one shipping out to me on Monday. Should have it by the end of the week. I will post some photos.

Never heard of Kevin Ryan. I’ll have to look him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of Kevin Ryan. I’ll have to look him up.

He makes some amazing instruments and has been very innovative.

Those sound flutes in the body are something I've never seen before. I mean, Ovation and Godin did something kinda sorta similar in their tops, but nothing like that.

I just took a look. They look amazing. What kind of music do you play?

Which model did you choose, @Tenputt?

Those sound flutes in the body are something I've never seen before. I mean, Ovation and Godin did something kinda sorta similar in their tops, but nothing like that.
They’re so fun, because they direct some of the sound up at your ear while playing, which creates a much richer experience for the player. Side ports have become more popular. The sound flutes take a side port to a different level.

I just took a look. They look amazing. What kind of music do you play?

I started playing the guitar seriously in college. I did singer/songwriter stuff. I thought it would attract girls, LOL. Over the years, I gravitated into finger style music. I love lots of different styles, including Leo Kottke, Lawrence Juber (sp?), Tommy Emmanuel, and others. At one point I was a decent player. I haven’t played as much the last four years, but want to work on it more diligently.

I started playing the guitar seriously in college. I did singer/songwriter stuff. I thought it would attract girls, LOL. Over the years, I gravitated into finger style music. I love lots of different styles, including Leo Kottke, Lawrence Juber (sp?), Tommy Emmanuel, and others. At one point I was a decent player. I haven’t played as much the last four years, but want to work on it more diligently.
An investment like that will guilt you into playing more! :ROFLMAO: Nah, regardless of the price tag, a new guitar always rekindles the flame. Enjoy it, I'm sure it will play as good as it looks!

An investment like that will guilt you into playing more! :ROFLMAO: Nah, regardless of the price tag, a new guitar always rekindles the flame. Enjoy it, I'm sure it will play as good as it looks!
The instruments from the well respected luthiers really don’t go down in price. The nicest guitar I ever bought was a gorgeous small jumbo made by a luthier named Kim Walker. He had about an 8 year wait list. I bought the guitar for $17,000 and then felt guilty for spending so much and sold it about 6 months later for $23,000. That guitar would now sell for about $40,000, just crazy. I almost shed tears to think about letting that one get away. The tone was jaw dropping good.

Wow. Beautiful guitars. He’s a talented luthier for sure... what options did you end up going with?

My buddy is also a luthier - Chris George. He’s built some phenomenal sounding instruments.

My acoustic is still a Cort that I bought years ago.

Wow. Beautiful guitars. He’s a talented luthier for sure... what options did you end up going with?

My buddy is also a luthier - Chris George. He’s built some phenomenal sounding instruments.

My acoustic is still a Cort that I bought years ago.
Mine has the bevel, sound flutes, cutaway, titanium bridge pins, Engleman Spruce top and Macassar Ebony back and sides.

The instruments from the well respected luthiers really don’t go down in price. The nicest guitar I ever bought was a gorgeous small jumbo made by a luthier named Kim Walker. He had about an 8 year wait list. I bought the guitar for $17,000 and then felt guilty for spending so much and sold it about 6 months later for $23,000. That guitar would now sell for about $40,000, just crazy. I almost shed tears to think about letting that one get away. The tone was jaw dropping good.
Wow, that's insane! And I thought I was looking at big money when I was pondering a Crook Custom Telecaster-style guitar, but they're in the $3K - $4K range new - chump change by comparison! My one acoustic guitar is a low-end Taylor acoustic/electric that's about 15 years old - Taylor makes nice guitars, but I'm sure they're not anywhere in the same universe as the acoustics built by high-end luthiers like that.

Wow, that's insane! And I thought I was looking at big money when I was pondering a Crook Custom Telecaster-style guitar, but they're in the $3K - $4K range new - chump change by comparison! My one acoustic guitar is a low-end Taylor acoustic/electric that's about 15 years old - Taylor makes nice guitars, but I'm sure they're not anywhere in the same universe as the acoustics built by high-end luthiers like that.
The high end luthier-made guitars really kicked off when James Taylor began playing guitars made by James Olson. There is a very distinctive “O” on the headstock of JT’s guitars. You could see it if you YouTubed some videos. The story is that James Taylor was doing a concert in Minneapolis and James Olson left one of his guitars for JT to try. He liked them so much that he ordered two. Olsons immediately became extremely popular and Luthers saw that there was a market. Then, with the advent of the internet, the number of luthiers really grew. There are a bunch of good ones. I love to go to the big guitar shows and just look at all of the instruments. The woods are gorgeous. They really are artistry.

A couple pics:

E388C2DB-2058-4E15-BA7B-342AE9D1C4B2.jpeg787FE2DD-B3F8-4894-8CDC-DC8BE0FDC20C.jpeg

Taylor still make some nice sounding guitars! I've played a couple that were really bright, and lookers too!

I play “at” guitar, but mostly bass and electric. Tommy Emmanuel is one of the most amazing acoustic players I’ve ever seen.

Back