Justin Thomas thread

Remember when Ralph Lauren had to be told when they made their clothing for the US Olympic team, they should make it in America (not overseas Chinese sweatshops)? If not for a few people raising their eyes to Ralph Lauren's greed, they would probably still be making US Olympic clothing in sweatshops. So, it's a company with low integrity to begin with, if you ask me.

They used to send people to "sensitivity training" in this country if you said something offensive, merely a decade ago; today, if you offend someone or say something offensive, you need to lose your job, lose your home, and be on put on the street (if not prison).

Thomas has more money than most of us combined, so unlike the average stiff, he'll get through this. But still, it doesn't make it right.

I think this topic has reached a natural conclusion, but I just want to note, we can learn a ton by listening to people, actual humans, actual groups of people, and has been wildly eye opening to privileged white males like me.
I agree, the catch is "listening to people" is almost always dog whistle for "just agree that I'm right". Did JT say a bad word? Yup. Did he make a sincere apology? I think so. Should he be crucified for speaking a word? This is where we part ways. I get that some are OK with a person having their career negatively impacted for mumbling a forbidden word at a time they were under extreme pressure, but unless he's inciting violence or his behavior demonstrates he's really homophobic then IMO that kind of vigilante justice isn't something desirable in a modern, civilized society and isn't something I can get behind. And to clarify, I don't care that RL dropped him. They're promoting their brand and if they decide he doesn't fit with their message then fine, happens every day. My issue is with those who think this kind of retribution in general, which has become the norm, is OK.

And on the topic of corporate "diversity training" or whatever you want to call it, if you haven't had to sit through one of these then you sir/madam are blessed. It's basically some 20-something telling you that the best way to fight racism and sexism is to divide people up by race and sex then give some of those groups advantages over others because of their race or sex.

I think JT will come out of this just fine with a good life lesson. That JT won't help a sponsor sell more apparel at this moment gives them the right to withdraw sponsorship. Branding is very tricky and the person you pay to build your business can't be seen as hurting it. To be totally honest, I did not know JT even wore RL

My take is JT was just releasing the frustration anyone who has every played golf feels. I doubt he meant anything by it. He needs to train himself to yell (not mutter) I'm an ugly white guy next time he gets mad.

My take is JT was just releasing the frustration anyone who has every played golf feels. I doubt he meant anything by it.
And directed at himself as many have mentioned, but of course this doesn’t make it right. He used a poor word choice, he apologized Saturday and Sunday, this isn’t something that probably just rolled off his shoulder either, I’m sure he’s still beating himself up over it especially with a sponsor coming out the way they did.

Whether you agree with Polo overreacting or doing this for good publicity doesn’t matter, it’s a wake up call to JT and he knows he has to be better.

People get 2nd chances all the time, not just athletes, it’s how he responds moving forward.

My final thoughts on this....
A lot of people here are confusing a global wide clothing brand dropping a multi millionaire from an endorsement contract with “cancel culture”.
I think I might have said this earlier, but JT was and still is my favorite golfer. When I saw the story Monday about this, I had a feeling it wouldn’t go away quickly. Why? There are a lot of words people use when they’re angry. The list of words we shouldn’t isn’t very big. I know very few people who use racial or homophobic slurs on the golf course. No one I know wants to hear them, and those that aren’t bothered by hearing them are the one’s who perpetuate their use.
To Justin Thomas’ credit, he immediately apologized. I believe he was completely sincere when he did that, so for what it’s worth I forgive him. He’s also shown by his silence after being dropped by RL that he understands his actions have consequences, and he seems to be taking those like a man. I respect that.
To those who are piling on the Ralph Lauren corporation, remember this. They didn’t cause this controversy, Justin did. They reacted to it. Like any corporation they want to protect their brand, and they made a decision that seeing Justin on tv 4x a week wearing their logo wouldn’t benefit them after this incident.
To those “I hear these words all the time in my foursome” guys, all I’ll say is the old adage mygrandmother used seems to fit here. She used to say “your friends are a mirror, they’re a reflection of you.” It’s your choice whether you’re happy or not with that reflection.

I’m glad that was the “final” thought..

The only reason the RL came out with their statement is for the free advertising for their product line. Look at all the TV, newspaper, and websites talking about them and how great they are. But, look at where they manufacture their products and you will find out that they really don’t care that much.

The only reason the RL came out with their statement is for the free advertising for their product line. Look at all the TV, newspaper, and websites talking about them and how great they are. But, look at where they manufacture their products and you will find out that they really don’t care that much.
I don’t think a single person here has give Ralph Lauren any credit for dropping Justin. People have said they understand why they did it though.
They are a mega corporation looking out for their bottom line and in this case simply trying to protect whatever image it is they want to portray publically.
That’s how business works, and that’s how paid endorsements work...you embarrass the company that’s using you as a spokesman, you’re gone. This isn’t anything new.
Tiger Woods had a Buick bag for years, then when they dropped him he used a generic one until he signed on with Monster Energy.

Last edited:

not likely. only if they are a small mom and pop business might this be the motive. having worked in and around brand in big companies for decades this does not resonate with me as the conversation they had. What is more likely happening is the corp office had a long talk with the strategic agency of media for the brand and they looked at many options, considered its RL consumer base, then made a difficult choice.

I don’t think a single person here has give Ralph Lauren any credit for dropping Justin. People have said they understand why they did it though.
They are a mega corporation looking out for their bottom line and in this case simply trying to protect whatever image it is they want to portray publically.
That’s how business works, and that’s how paid endorsements work...you embarrass the company that’s using you as a spokesman, you’re gone. This isn’t anything new.
Tiger Woods had a Buick bag for years, then when they dropped him he used a generic one until he signed on with Monster Energy.
I thought we had the “final” thought?

I thought we had the “final” thought?
LOL
Can I go back and edit that post?
Apparently “final” wasn’t the best choice of words... ;)

Remember when Ralph Lauren had to be told when they made their clothing for the US Olympic team, they should make it in America (not overseas Chinese sweatshops)? If not for a few people raising their eyes to Ralph Lauren's greed, they would probably still be making US Olympic clothing in sweatshops. So, it's a company with low integrity to begin with, if you ask me.

They used to send people to "sensitivity training" in this country if you said something offensive, merely a decade ago; today, if you offend someone or say something offensive, you need to lose your job, lose your home, and be on put on the street (if not prison).

Thomas has more money than most of us combined, so unlike the average stiff, he'll get through this. But still, it doesn't make it right.
I may be wrong, but I also think the tolerance for homosexuality is very low where those clothes are made.

from what I've seen most anything goes in many countries.

This does bring up a counter point and that is why would any celeb sell out to bad companies???? If we the interent does not believe RL is a good company then why would anyone be associated with them?

from what I've seen most anything goes in many countries.

This does bring up a counter point and that is why would any celeb sell out to bad companies???? If we the interent does not believe RL is a good company then why would anyone be associated with them?

$$$$

I may be wrong, but I also think the tolerance for homosexuality is very low where those clothes are made.

The human rights record where Ralph has made his billions (China) is not exactly stellar, if you've been paying attention to the climate there.

A great article/blog written by one of the only two members of a very competitive golf club based out of Bethpage. (The Nassau Players Club). She is a great golfer and heavily involved in golf outreach and such. I think she hits the nail right on the head. The comment was made in self depreciation, but not with intentional malice towards a group of people.

I think her advice is similar to what I said about 10posts ago. Learn to say I'm a damn ugly white guy. I'm joking a bit but not really. The joke part is if someone other then JT with no history yelled this on the course I think it too would get negative reaction on the internet. I can see reaction from some saying that it indirectly was a slur to them. However, on this board we could say factually that no malace toward any group was spoken. As long as the insult is to the majority, I don't think it would have internet sound byte appeal. My repsonse would be I am an ugly white guy would you help me with my terrible pitching(y)

I think her advice is similar to what I said about 10posts ago. Learn to say I'm a damn ugly white guy.

What does the color of his skin have to do with anything? If it had been Harold Varner would it be cool if somebody was telling him to just say he’s a damn ugly black guy? Or telling Hideki Maysuyama to just say he’s a damn ugly Asian? All of these are incredibly racist and offensive.

Poor choice of word these days. I say all sorts of interesting things on the course and some might offend people. He apologized and I would be happy to still share a beer with the dude. Should be a non story.

What does the color of his skin have to do with anything? If it had been Harold Varner would it be cool if somebody was telling him to just say he’s a damn ugly black guy? Or telling Hideki Maysuyama to just say he’s a damn ugly Asian? All of these are incredibly racist and offensive.

I think that poster is being facetious. I think he's pointing out that we hear all the time (in America in particular it seems) people openly bash white men and it's tolerated if not championed by all the power brokers today.

i’m going to disagree. it’s one thing to drop cuss words like tiger has. it’s another to use epithets, even if they’re not directed at anyone in particular. what if he called himself a racial slur instead? it’s not ok, regardless of whether anyone heard him say it. the sensitivity training would show him how hurtful that word is to a very large number of people, and maybe he would think twice before saying it, or even better never even think about saying it because it’s out of his vocabulary.
I'm going to disagree with you as well. I'm more offended by hearing GD come out of any players mouth than what JT uttered... especially if my kids were around. He did not direct it towards anyone and it's hard for me to believe if he had said any other word he would still be wearing Polo...but it's true.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm going to disagree with you as well. I'm more offended by hearing GD come out of any players mouth than what JT uttered... especially if my kids were around. He did not direct it towards anyone and it's hard for me to believe if he had said any other word he would still be wearing Polo...but it's true.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
let’s go with the example you used about your kids being around, and If he used the word.
They hear it, and ask “what does that word mean, Daddy?” What would you tell them?
I live in your area, and in 3 sentences I think you told me a lot about who you are, and how you feel personally about the word. I’m really curious though how you’d explain it to your children.

Last edited:
I agree, the catch is "listening to people" is almost always dog whistle for "just agree that I'm right". Did JT say a bad word? Yup. Did he make a sincere apology? I think so. Should he be crucified for speaking a word? This is where we part ways. I get that some are OK with a person having their career negatively impacted for mumbling a forbidden word at a time they were under extreme pressure, but unless he's inciting violence or his behavior demonstrates he's really homophobic then IMO that kind of vigilante justice isn't something desirable in a modern, civilized society and isn't something I can get behind. And to clarify, I don't care that RL dropped him. They're promoting their brand and if they decide he doesn't fit with their message then fine, happens every day. My issue is with those who think this kind of retribution in general, which has become the norm, is OK.
Our society is becoming more modern and far less civilized, and social media (and media in general) is a HUGE driver of that. JT is only one example of many who have been subjected to it. It is absolutely vigilante justice, and it's also largely a one-way street.

And on the topic of corporate "diversity training" or whatever you want to call it, if you haven't had to sit through one of these then you sir/madam are blessed. It's basically some 20-something telling you that the best way to fight racism and sexism is to divide people up by race and sex then give some of those groups advantages over others because of their race or sex.
Well said - and obviously spoken by somebody who's been through those ridiculous, hyper-"woke" indoctrination sessions.

Looks like JT has made his way to the UAE for this week’s Abu Dhabi tournament. I don’t recall him playing many of these European Tour events.

Back