It seems some teams are starting to wonder about giving out those huge contracts to the QBs and what that might do to the team salary cap-wise.

Wentz and Watson are on the market (one due to play and the other just not happy), Dak soon to be a free agent of franchised again, and now there are rumors that the Rams might not want to pay Goff the remainder of his contract they just signed him to a year ago.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...uaranteeing-jared-goff-a-roster-spot-in-2021/

man i think the texans are in a great spot. they are getting rid of a guy that cost 40 mil per year and doesn't want to be there and in return they are getting a qb (lawrence or tua, probably) and a boat load of picks. great way to rebuild.

i bet you 3 years from now the texans are better then the jets, if that is where watson ends up. Miami already has a good team so i can see them trying to make this happen if they can.

man i think the texans are in a great spot. they are getting rid of a guy that cost 40 mil per year and doesn't want to be there and in return they are getting a qb (lawrence or tua, probably) and a boat load of picks. great way to rebuild.

i bet you 3 years from now the texans are better then the jets, if that is where watson ends up. Miami already has a good team so i can see them trying to make this happen if they can.
The Texans don’t have a first or second round pick in 2021, so that’s going to hurt even if they pick up a lot of draft capital in a Watson trade.

The Texans don’t have a first or second round pick in 2021, so that’s going to hurt even if they pick up a lot of draft capital in a Watson trade.
gotta start somewhere though. and if they are rebuilding then why have a 40 mil qb around that doesn't want to be there. he is going to be a cancer/distraction if still there in a few months

gotta start somewhere though. and if they are rebuilding then why have a 40 mil qb around that doesn't want to be there. he is going to be a cancer/distraction if still there in a few months
Yea, if the bridge is burnt then they need to move on and blow it all up. And it’ll be nice to get a head start digging out of the hole they’re in.

Being better than the Jets is a pretty low bar. The BOB stripped that team of a lot. Hopefully it will work out for them tho.

I'm not sure Watson would end up on the Jets. He has a no-trade clause that allows him to control where he is going. And he is going to cost multiple 1st round picks. I know the Jets have 4 of these in the next two drafts, but trading the picks for Watson may not be the best course for the Jets. The Jets need talent at multiple positions. Although QB may be one of the positions, the Jets may want to hold onto those 4 picks.

That is the worst take on this situation that I can think of. There is not a single person on the planet that should think the Texans are in a great spot. First off there is no way the Texans are getting Lawrence because he is going to Jax and the glitter kitties are not trading the No. 1 pick to HOU. If you take Watson off the team then the Texans probably lose all 16 games.

1. Easterby is the main issue. Until he is gone there can be no rebuild.
2. While yes the Texans have a lot of holes that they need draft picks to fill, that is not a guarantee. Also Watson controls where he goes so if he goes to the Dolphins then the Texans will be getting later draft picks. Watson makes the Dolphins a contender with Buffalo instantly....you know since that team won 10 games this year.
3. Letting go of a Franchise LT (Brown), Top 3 WR (Hopkins), and Top 5 QB (Watson) is no way to build a winning organization. Other players are going to see that and know that they do not want to be in Houston. Houston can't sign it's own free agents from the last few years (Bouye, Mathieu, Covington just to name a few).
4. With no Watson and probably no Watt then what HC is going to take that job? Great you have picks and some cap room but nothing else.

At this point Harvey Weinstein has a better chance at a retribution story over McNair/Easterby.

That is the worst take on this situation that I can think of. There is not a single person on the planet that should think the Texans are in a great spot. First off there is no way the Texans are getting Lawrence because he is going to Jax and the glitter kitties are not trading the No. 1 pick to HOU. If you take Watson off the team then the Texans probably lose all 16 games.

2. While yes the Texans have a lot of holes that they need draft picks to fill, that is not a guarantee. Also Watson controls where he goes so if he goes to the Dolphins then the Texans will be getting later draft picks. Watson makes the Dolphins a contender with Buffalo instantly....you know since that team won 10 games this year.
3. Letting go of a Franchise LT (Brown), Top 3 WR (Hopkins), and Top 5 QB (Watson) is no way to build a winning organization. Other players are going to see that and know that they do not want to be in Houston. Houston can't sign it's own free agents from the last few years (Bouye, Mathieu, Covington just to name a few).
4. With no Watson and probably no Watt then what HC is going to take that job? Great you have picks and some cap room but nothing else.

At this point Harvey Weinstein has a better chance at a retribution story over McNair/Easterby.

Going to be interesting to see who next coach is. Houston is not that attractive a destination for a coach regardless of the Watson situation.

I would also say as a Dolphins fan, I would love to see Watson on the team but if the coaching staff think Tua can be the guy why spend 40 million on a QB and give up the picks they could use to shore up holes and bring in more young/cheap talent?

Watson is a good QB, maybe even great and I'd love to see him on my favorite team but if you have to hamstring the team to get him it's hard to swallow. They have a lot of picks this year yet and might only be a QB or another year or two of development for Tua away from being a really good team. I'm torn and I don't have the answer.

I would also say as a Dolphins fan, I would love to see Watson on the team but if the coaching staff think Tua can be the guy why spend 40 million on a QB and give up the picks they could use to shore up holes and bring in more young/cheap talent?

Watson is a good QB, maybe even great and I'd love to see him on my favorite team but if you have to hamstring the team to get him it's hard to swallow. They have a lot of picks this year yet and might only be a QB or another year or two of development for Tua away from being a really good team. I'm torn and I don't have the answer.

Dolphins could keep Tua and with the 3rd pick take Penei Sewell, an OT from Oregon. A good offensive line would help any QB.

Dolphins could keep Tua and with the 3rd pick take Penei Sewell, an OT from Oregon. A good offensive line would help any QB.
Exactly, shore up that OL and get some weapons at WR/RB and they could be good for a while. Then again if Tua doesn't progress it would be hard to think they passed up on Watson too.

Except that Sewell is probably going to the Jets at 2. Having him and Becton bookending the line solves a lot of issues for Darnold.

I'm not sure Watson would end up on the Jets. He has a no-trade clause that allows him to control where he is going. And he is going to cost multiple 1st round picks. I know the Jets have 4 of these in the next two drafts, but trading the picks for Watson may not be the best course for the Jets. The Jets need talent at multiple positions. Although QB may be one of the positions, the Jets may want to hold onto those 4 picks.
i agree with you....but if you turn on espn they could not understand why the jets wouldn't give 12 picks for watson.

i agree with you....but if you turn on espn they could not understand why the jets wouldn't give 12 picks for watson.

Wonder if they remember Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams.

Except that Sewell is probably going to the Jets at 2. Having him and Becton bookending the line solves a lot of issues for Darnold.

Don't expect the Jets to do the right thing but I do think the new coach and new OC would want to see what they have in Darnold. And having those two OTs would certainly help.

i feel your hatred of the front office BUT if they are going to trade watson, which it looks like they are, don't you want to get a good qb back and a ton of picks? if they somehow mend the fence with watson they are still going to suck for several years with lack of talent.

i remember when people were actually saying that Houston got the better of the trade with ariz and that Johnson was still a top back...lol

Houston is in a really bad spot and the only way out is to trade watson for a king's ransom and start a rebuild. 4-12 this year, so if they keep watson what are they next year 6-10? they are not good enough and having a guy that you pay 40 mil on a team that stinks makes no sense....plus he wants out and is trashing everyone he can on his way out.

I don't understand the Miami and NYJ speculation for Watson when he is going to be on the 49ers. :p

I do think that the offense fumble out the endzone to be given to the opposition at the 20-yard line has to be one of the oddest rules in professional sports.

I wouldn’t be surprised being this fumble was during a very high profile playoff game, that the competition committee doesn’t look into changing it finally. It usually takes something like today for the league to make a change.
What would you suggest as an alternative to the current rule? Chris Simms had an interesting take on it on his podcast. The video starts at the 17:10 mark where they are discussing this rule.

I do think that the offense fumble out the endzone to be given to the opposition at the 20-yard line has to be one of the oddest rules in professional sports.

I wouldn’t be surprised being this fumble was during a very high profile playoff game, that the competition committee doesn’t look into changing it finally. It usually takes something like today for the league to make a change.

Here is a suggestion. Don’t fumble. Problem solved.

What would you suggest as an alternative to the current rule? Chris Simms had an interesting take on it on his podcast. The video starts at the 17:10 mark where they are discussing this rule.

I agree with Chris Simms

Back