First Look: TaylorMade SIM2 Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids

Fairway woods I would have more interest in than the driver. If they're anything like their bigger brother, they're absurdly hot

For some reason I like the color scheme and look on these more than last years

They look way better than I thought they would. Add in the fact they took out the screws on the face which some people didn’t love annnnnd made the face larger? Wow. Could be a home run. I e gotta wonder about the sound with all that carbon and no titanium. It has to be more muted.

The hybrids look sleek.

I am SO super curious about the sound.

The constructing brings me back to the Honma TR20 drivers that had a ton of Carbon as the sole plate. But they at least had more of a cage design to them where these really don't.

Nice review @ddec. I like the custom options they have available it is nice to be able to choose a color you like.

BTW a somewhat subtle change, I like that the word SIM is no longer on the top of the driver in big bold letters like last version.

I am SO super curious about the sound.

The constructing brings me back to the Honma TR20 drivers that had a ton of Carbon as the sole plate. But they at least had more of a cage design to them where these really don't.
I know some people didn’t love the sound last year in SIM. I was one that loved it. But sound it so synonymous with feel that I understand why you’d either love it or hate it. With soooo much carbon and aluminum, I have to assume the sound has changed from last year.

interestingly enough, it seems like sound doesn’t play a massive role in proplayers feel.

it sure is a wildly different tech story from a materials aspect. I’m intrigued

I’m a little indifferent on the drivers this year, with it being so hyped in the rumour mill I guess I was maybe expecting too much. Honesty I don’t really know what I was expecting but for some reason the driver just doesn’t get me excited after seeing it, I loved my sim last year. Now...the sim2 3 wood is definitely the leader in the clubhouse to make my bag. The only one that will keep it out is possibly last years version. Great article @ddec

Last edited:
Anyone tried using the MySIM2 Driver builder yet? I'm getting an error. Might not be ready just yet.

I like the new colours, I like the concepts behind the technology (though twist face does not work for me at all), and I am glad that the bottom of the driver is completely hidden at address. From certain angles it sure looks like some sort of proboscis.

Anyone tried using the MySIM2 Driver builder yet? I'm getting an error. Might not be ready just yet.
I've been experiencing the same issue. It worked eventually for me after lots of refreshing of page

The perimeter weighting is interesting snd should be very forgiving considering all the carbon in the crown and sole.

I’ve never really been a fan of TM drivers but they sure get a lot of tour play and the tech here seems legit.

Do these come in a D-type for draw?

Looks like a bit of extra forgiveness from last years model. That might be enough to call it an improvement though I'm not sure it's enough to get me to upgrade. I like the look of last years driver, and this as well. I'm still thinking I should step up to the fairways and last years hybrid was awfully good. I don't know if I'll be trying to pick up a slightly used SIM 3wood or if I'll look at the new version. Either way it doesn't appear that they ruined what they had going and I think that is a good thing.

Im seeing reviews with the exploded head showing tech. Wheres the speed foam or speed injection?

I know some people didn’t love the sound last year in SIM. I was one that loved it. But sound it so synonymous with feel that I understand why you’d either love it or hate it. With soooo much carbon and aluminum, I have to assume the sound has changed from last year.

interestingly enough, it seems like sound doesn’t play a massive role in proplayers feel.

it sure is a wildly different tech story from a materials aspect. I’m intrigued

I tend to agree that I like the deadened carbon fiber sound. My M6 doesn't sound like I am going to go deaf if I catch one really clean and the SIM 2 feels like they took the M6 and SIM and threw them into a blender with even more carbon fiber.

This cycle is going to be tough to determine who has the best driver for each segment though. TSi, Radspeed, G425, SIM 2, ZX7, Epic Speed, etc. all seem to be exceptional with none of them feeling particularly weak for the average to the a bit above average player. I'm very excited to see in the near future if my M6 is due for an upgrade head to head with the SIM 2 and Radspeed specifically as they look the best down at the ball IMO.

I haven't had a TM driver or fairway since the RBZ Stage 2. Loved the fairway, loathed the driver. I hit the SIM okay in a fitting last year but didn't like how it looked to be closed at set-up and that it seemed more upright to me than others.

The custom options are amazing. That alone caught my eye. The hybrid in all black looks awesome.

Great review, Dean!

I hit the SIM2 last week. Couldn't take a picture though. TM Rep at local store brought his set up in (9* head turned down to a few degrees, Ventus black 6x tipped 1/2"). It feels nice. Definitely feels fast off the face. Not sure how to describe but it feels better constructed than the SIM at impact. Has a nice muted sound to it. I skipped out on M3 through M6. But it reminded me of an improved 2017 M2 mixed with SIM. I'm ok with not having the sliding weight track. But that's just me.

Big improvement over the SIM? Not sure yet.

Thanks for the info @ddec!

The Sim1 really intrigued me and I absolutely loved the look. Never got a chance to swing it or test it out at any point. Would be fun to get the Sim2 in my hands and test out. Always been a TaylorMade fan and have been happy with my TM irons over the past few years.

Nice write up. While I like the options with colors and shafts, I don't see a reason to try this driver. Not something that is easy on the eyes for me.

one thing i was wondering about.......

With drivers and materials getting lighter and lighter like in this SIM2, how if at all does that affect swing weighting and where does that come back into play? Shaft? grip?

With drivers and materials getting lighter and lighter like in this SIM2, how if at all does that affect swing weighting and where does that come back into play? Shaft? grip?

Did the over all weight drop? I seems most are just using lighter and lighter materials to allow for specific weight placement in the form of tungsten. Overall weight staying basically the same.

Did the over all weight drop? I seems most are just using lighter and lighter materials to allow for specific weight placement in the form of tungsten. Overall weight staying basically the same.
Well i dont honestly know. Adding more carbon and taking away titanium seems to lend to the mantra of it being lighter. Im sure it gets redistributed but where.....

One thing...Don't confuse weight savings that are repositioned with driver heads that just massively cut out weight.

One thing...Don't confuse weight savings that are repositioned with driver heads that just massively cut out weight.
hmmmm. ok

hmmmm. ok

so here's a couple of things.

Look at the swingweight here vs the previous and keep in mind stock shaft lengths are the same. Yes, SW doesn't always tell the whole story, but I would guess we aren't seeing a crazy different in total head weight when it's all said and done.
SIM - D5
SIM2 - D5
SIM Max - D3
SIM2 Max - D4

Stock Rear Weights
SIM - 12g
SIM2 - 16g
SIM Max - 18g
SIM2 Max - 24g

Also, in the last year I had two Honma drivers that were built very differently, TW XP1 and TR20. TR20 used a carbon sole for weight savings, whereas the XP1 was more traditional in that matter. Both weighed in at 196 grams. I'm only using those as an example because TR20 talked about weight savings and redistribution. Here I'm going to strongly assume we will see a similar outcome if weighed next to each other. I would bet that would be relatively close in terms of headweight.

Back