First Look: TaylorMade SIM2 Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids

Will be getting a new TM driver, 3w, 5w and hybrid this year. Really considering the Sim2's.

It's maybe not as good looking as last year but that crown is still really nice to look at. In reading about this driver it's so funny how much is seemingly copied from other companies but it's obviously working. I can't help but wonder what this sounds like with that much carbon. The fairways sound like they'll be rocket launchers again this year as well.

Great preview write up @ddec! The SIM was a driver that really worked well for me this past year. If they improved on it, should be a pretty great offering!

Doing some testing

B805D214-E95A-437E-BE66-5111F89BB72F.jpeg

I have hit the sim2 and, honestly, found it delightful. Launch, spin, and ball speed were right where I want. And best of all it felt nicely forgiving and straight. My miss of late is a hook. And if I start trying to swing to correct that I can go down the path of pull hooks and push slices. With the sim2, I didn’t have to worry about any of that. My g410 lst is solid for now, but if I make a switch the sim2 and mav (typo) epic max ls are both right there for with enough goodness that I might grab one or the other.

I also got to try out the SIM2 on Friday last week and had similar feedback to you. I was there to hit the new G425 Max/LST, and was also testing G410 LST and Big Bertha B21. One of the employees surprised me with the 9* SIM2 with Rogue Silver 110 shaft (not sure if this will be one of the stock shafts) that they just got in that day. The new larger face frames the ball better than my current-gen SIM, and both feel/performance were excellent. I really like the new blue accents, but will probably miss the moveable track weight. I find myself constantly tweaking that on my SIM, but admitedly am usually very close to center with the weight.

I hit the two longest drives of the session with the SIM2 and saw ball speeds that were consistently 4-5 mph higher than what I was seeing out of G425. The Callaway was close in ball speed, and I actually preferred the feel/sound, but I wasn't very accurate with it due to what felt like a swingweight issue. Compared to the SIM2, the G425 did not sound great at all (especially the Max). I'm used to the Ping sound having played G400 in the past, but SIM2 and Big Bertha definitely win there IMO.

20210115_165225.jpg

so here's a couple of things.

Look at the swingweight here vs the previous and keep in mind stock shaft lengths are the same. Yes, SW doesn't always tell the whole story, but I would guess we aren't seeing a crazy different in total head weight when it's all said and done.
SIM - D5
SIM2 - D5
SIM Max - D3
SIM2 Max - D4

Stock Rear Weights
SIM - 12g
SIM2 - 16g
SIM Max - 18g
SIM2 Max - 24g

Also, in the last year I had two Honma drivers that were built very differently, TW XP1 and TR20. TR20 used a carbon sole for weight savings, whereas the XP1 was more traditional in that matter. Both weighed in at 196 grams. I'm only using those as an example because TR20 talked about weight savings and redistribution. Here I'm going to strongly assume we will see a similar outcome if weighed next to each other. I would bet that would be relatively close in terms of headweight.

The grams they (and any really) save will always be utilized in some way. Take 8 from a crown, that’s 8g of potential weighting that can be used. Use 6, still saves 2. It feels like the increase in weight for the rear weights are really just there for swing weight and personal preference.

Truth? That it is a lot like Radspeed.

Now that you say that they seem to be on a similar design inspiration path.. You have any numbers from @+7 KPTT

Truth? That it is a lot like Radspeed.

That is kind of something that was on my mind over the weekend.

I'll have to catch up on this thread, and I got to hit the drivers a couple sessions a while back, but I'm having fun pulling plastic and hitting things like this right now.

20210119_163922.jpg20210119_163935.jpg20210119_163943.jpg
20210119_164254.jpg

Now that you say that they seem to be on a similar design inspiration path.. You have any numbers from @+7 KPTT

I didn't screenshot it. He preferred the original SIM and Radspeed, so only took a few swings with it.

20210119_164525.jpg20210119_164549.jpg

That peanut rescue looks good.
20210119_165019.jpg20210119_165016.jpg20210119_165010.jpg

We're swapping it to a Ventus and going to see what I have left in the tank. I like the look of it A LOT.

Nice write up @ddec i am excited to see your testing of this

Nice write up @ddec !!

got to see these in handtoday. The Sim2 rescue looks superb. I only got to hit the Sim Max Driver and took like 5 swings so won’t comment just yet. But looks wise I’m digging it. Holding out to try the Radspeed. Although Isay the custom color
options are 🔥

DE68500B-E213-4B1F-83D9-313665E91B06.jpegC6B85765-2950-413B-B57A-47096F19DA4B.jpeg416E554C-1587-4C85-8E05-576E401469FD.jpeg9F6BEA47-C1F0-4320-A9E9-E649AAB3A5A3.jpegEE966F2E-18F6-4B8E-991B-E33862D02352.jpeg

Another thing I’ve been wondering about. I have the SimTI 3w. I honestly can say that I have t been able to set it up (regardless of setting) without it seeming to have some degree of draw bias. Wonder if the new 3w have any sort of info on if this carries over or not?

Wow! That SIM2 Titanium looks fantastic!
Seems like there's more of separation between them in size than I remember from last year's. It looks smaller and slightly different shaped. I like it. The drivers actually seem a little closer in size and shape to each other from above than I remember last year's, too. It's interesting. SIM2 Ti 3W seemed fast, too.

20210119_163024.jpg

Seems like there's more of separation between them in size than I remember from last year's. It looks smaller and slightly different shaped. I like it. The drivers actually seem a little closer in size and shape to each other from above than I remember last year's, too. It's interesting. SIM2 Ti 3W seemed fast, too.

View attachment 8989239
If you wouldn’t have shown which one was which, I’d have a harder time telling the difference. They are definitely a lot closer than last years

TM continues to do cool things with its customization options

Another thing I’ve been wondering about. I have the SimTI 3w. I honestly can say that I have t been able to set it up (regardless of setting) without it seeming to have some degree of draw bias. Wonder if the new 3w have any sort of info on if this carries over or not?

All of the materials I received say it's a neutral bias.

What’s face depth like on Max and Ti fairways? Although I could probably benefit of Max’s extra forgiveness, I’m envisioning a huge head down by the ball which I don’t always like. That 80g sole plate and screw in the back of the Ti makes me think it’s just a bomber off tee and turf.

Awesome write up! I love how many options they have and the customizable colors is a nice touch. Definitely want to try these out this year, the last Taylormade model I hit was the M5 so very curious to see how far they have pushed the tech.

Back