Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I was watching the late night Srixon Tech talk, and if I was to combo, I agree with @Canadan and @JB and think taking the ZX5 to the 7i is a good choice. I had the 565/765 combo and wish my 565's went to the 7i instead of the 6.

After watching this though, I'm continuing to wonder if I would just want the ZX5 to keep my misses a bit closer to pin, and on the green, instead of just off. Keep out of some of the trouble like greenside bunkers. I think that would raise GIR %'s for most of us choosing between the ZX5 and ZX7, and lower some scores too!

Last edited:
I was watching the late night Srixon Tech talk, and if I was to combo, I agree with @Canadan and @JB and think taking the ZX5 to the 7i is a good choice. I had the 565/765 combo and wish my 565's went to the 7i instead of the 6.

After watching this though, I'm comminuting to wonder if I would just want the ZX5 to keep my misses a bit closer to pin, and on the green, instead of just off. Keep out of some of the trouble like greenside bunkers. I think that would raise GIR %'s for most of us choosing between the ZX5 and ZX7, and lower some scores too!
I had a 585/785 combo set. I am much more comfortable with the ZX5 range in the 7-AW than I thought I would be. They look the same at address and are much more forgiving. I am not a world beater as a ball striker and the forgiveness in the ZX5 range is noticeable for me.

I had a 585/785 combo set. I am much more comfortable with the ZX5 range in the 7-AW than I thought I would be. They look the same at address and are much more forgiving. I am not a world beater as a ball striker and the forgiveness in the ZX5 range is noticeable for me.
This is the path I'm wandering down. Why not play the ZX5. I'm no tour player, so I feel the added forgiveness would be welcomed and make the game more enjoyable.

I am stressed about going with the ZX7s in my scoring irons. Lots of much better ball strikers than me here going with the ZX5.

I am stressed about going with the ZX7s in my scoring irons. Lots of much better ball strikers than me here going with the ZX5.
I wouldnt be stressed. The look and feel blends well with the ZX5. I think the more demanding aspect, at least for me, causes me to focus even more on my swing, usually, i said usually, resulting in better ball striking. This bit more demand leads to an overall better iron game, because I rely on myself as much as I rely on the iron.

You will be fine in the scoring irons. No need to worry. Some are just more comfortable with the more forgiveness. Give them an good chance and some time on the course and I think you will be surprised.

View attachment 8989688

It's real close. That's both hosels flush up against the edge of the counter. Totally different faces, feels, and forgiveness though obviously.

Question - did you know I would take a picture? Lol
Those are 2 great looking irons.

If you liked to PTx Pro scoring irons and were OK with the forgiveness, I would rate them as similar, you'd be fine. If you like maybe a touch more than what the PTx offered, ZX5.

I wouldnt be stressed. The look and feel blends well with the ZX5. I think the more demanding aspect, at least for me, causes me to focus even more on my swing, usually, i said usually, resulting in better ball striking. This bit more demand leads to an overall better iron game, because I rely on myself as much as I rely on the iron.
That’s reassuring, and I totally get that. I have always said that the PTx Pros were aspirational for me, and I have been getting closer and closer to them game wise. I hoped to continue that journey with the combo set. Regardless, I’m going to order a ZX5 7i because I think that’s where I am going to have the biggest issue, if there is one.

Just a couple of hours away from the live stream with Srixon where we are giving a set of these away.
We will have some swings, the data and of course get all of your questions answered.

Bottom line....be comfortable in your decision. They are both great irons!

That’s reassuring, and I totally get that. I have always said that the PTx Pros were aspirational for me, and I have been getting closer and closer to them game wise. I hoped to continue that journey with the combo set. Regardless, I’m going to order a ZX5 7i because I think that’s where I am going to have the biggest issue, if there is one.
Yep, I think that 7i is a great idea.

I went with total forgiveness throughout my bag. I am turning 50 in a few months and I want to give myself every advantage. I could play the ZX7’s as well. IMO You will be perfectly happy with your set.

I went with total forgiveness throughout my bag. I am turning 50 in a few months and I want to give myself every advantage. I could play the ZX7’s as well. IMO You will be perfectly happy with your set.
This is a very good point and it is where the player has to make the correct decision for himself.

Such a good show this far. If you didn't catch this live, go back and check it out 🔥🔥🔥

I hope after watching the live stream and the good info, that a lot of guys/gals will get out and try these irons. Srixon has done a great job with these.

Another great day on the course for me with the ZX7, and it was pretty awesome to be listening to the live stream and hearing about them while playing. Noelle should work on politics with those cagey answers!

Accidentally leaving my 7i at home really showed off the versatility if these clubs. Punch off the deck with great turf interaction when laying off or knocking down, but long when you want them to be with enough size to cover a small miss. Lots of fun m

Another great day on the course for me with the ZX7, and it was pretty awesome to be listening to the live stream and hearing about them while playing. Noelle should work on politics with those cagey answers!

Accidentally leaving my 7i at home really showed off the versatility if these clubs. Punch off the deck with great turf interaction when laying off or knocking down, but long when you want them to be with enough size to cover a small miss. Lots of fun m
Sounds like there isn't to much you can't do with these?

Hard pondering a combo set right now....

I've spent an insane amount time on their website this afternoon. Afraid to commit LOL.

Sounds like there isn't to much you can't do with these?
There is actually. Maintaining a realistic cap is a real MfF'er with these clubs. They do not cooperate. :LOL:

They are pretty nice for a variety of shots though. Lighting of a drawing 5i into par 5 that I kept below the wind and stopped in about 20', kind of a knockdown baby 6i to 6' on one par 3 that had enough bite to hold a really slick green, and I muscled up a 185 yd 8i on the last par 3 that I missed right with, but only by about 25', and I don't know if any of my other clubs could hit that distance like that. Just a lot of fun.

Last edited:

I've spent an insane amount time on their website this afternoon. Afraid to commit LOL.

'cause we can help. ;)

I mean you got to see the 765 series before anyone else at the event we did so you should jump on these.

The internal battle of ZX5 vs Apex is real!

Back