Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

Yes, it's quite obvious what you should do... sel... ah hell, I can't in good conscience finish that thought! 😂 Pretty awesome that they are working so well for you after you committed to giving them a real chance. I can't even imagine what your PB is. Must be low 60s, ya?
Ya. I might need to make a thread for some feedback on posting this one. Only got through 16 before sunset, and as a plus filling in the rest is a little weird.

It's definitely making me re-think the combo point with the MB's a little bit. Or at least opening myself up to thinking about it. I was too tired and nauseous to want to worry about trying hard to control the scoring clubs, and letting them be worked just fine. It's not a very launchy combo with the IO 6.5. Might need to work out a couple exact distances on a warmer day though. I'll definitely stick with them for a bit and see how much they continue to impress. I really have loved the numbers since session #1.

And then I can sell them to you when the new Apex come out.. :p

Ya. I might need to make a thread for some feedback on posting this one. Only got through 16 before sunset, and as a plus filling in the rest is a little weird.

It's definitely making me re-think the combo point with the MB's a little bit. Or at least opening myself up to thinking about it. I was too tired and nauseous to want to worry about trying hard to control the scoring clubs, and letting them be worked just fine. It's not a very launchy combo with the IO 6.5. Might need to work out a couple exact distances on a warmer day though. I'll definitely stick with them for a bit and see how much they continue to impress. I really have loved the numbers since session #1.

And then I can sell them to you when the new Apex come out.. :p
It would have been hard for me to not finish in the dark if I was gonna beat my PB.

It will make my life easier if the new Apex are unappealing...which is highly unlikely! :ROFLMAO:

It would have been hard for me to not finish in the dark if I was gonna beat my PB.

It will make my life easier if the new Apex are unappealing...which is highly unlikely! :ROFLMAO:
Wasn't an option. I would have, even though I can't see for crap in low light.

They don't look unappealing to me!! 🔥

I'm not even asleep yet and I'm kind of having X Forged dreams. That was really something...

I'm not even asleep yet and I'm kind of having X Forged dreams. That was really something...
I really need to find these in a demo cart and try them out. I think I need more forgiveness but they look so good

:cool::cool: Gonna take some shafts in to get tipped and gripped and hopefully remember to ask if they have XF CB demos.

I usually cut together a few outdoor strikes from my first rounds so I have a reference for sound on an iron set, but all I can tell with these is that I've played them in a very wide variety of temperatures and situations so far. :LOL:.

It's all over the map. Kind of crazy for how consistent the feel is. Or impressive.. Is that impressive of them?

Last edited:
Once again our local golf store disappointed by not having these in stock to check out. They did have the utility iron and I thought the license plate weight looked better in person than in pictures. It seemed like a very nice size for that type of club, pretty confidence inspiring. Hopefully they get the actual iron sets in soon.

Once again our local golf store disappointed by not having these in stock to check out. They did have the utility iron and I thought the license plate weight looked better in person than in pictures. It seemed like a very nice size for that type of club, pretty confidence inspiring. Hopefully they get the actual iron sets in soon.
At address these are marvelous, and overall shaping is well done IMO. The license plate on the back...wouldn't stop me from buying but I feel they could have done better.

Reactions: KEV
Stopped in at local shop to give these a look and possible hit a few. Really curious about the i/o shafts but of course they are no where to be found and they weren’t sure when they would get them. I’m surprised they don’t even have it in the fitting cart yet

Stopped in at local shop to give these a look and possible hit a few. Really curious about the i/o shafts but of course they are no where to be found and they weren’t sure when they would get them. I’m surprised they don’t even have it in the fitting cart yet
That's really disappointing. The IO's have been out for quite a while now, but I know a couple places here didn't have them to try until the X Forged CB's showed up. It's a really nice pairing. I hope you get a chance to try it soon.

That’s crazy. Fargo Austads has the demo heads. If work brings you up this way, check them out.

Reactions: KEV
Paired the 4, 5, 6, of these today with the P7MC. Had been thinking about it for a while, and I kind of like it. The X Forged long irons work really well for me with the IO 6.5, but the shape gets to me more the shorter they get so the more compact and slightly less offset MC's actually fit pretty well visually and otherwise. The MC's I have shafted a little heavier and I kind of liked that difference too. Felt like I could go after the X Forged with a little more speed and that approach worked well on a couple long par 3's and into the longer holes. Seems like a really easy setup to want to swing harder on. They could end up getting replaced by the Apex Pros, but I don't think I'd have too much issue keeping a few of the longer ones of these aroudnd.

So... Yeah.

I'm watching back the Drinks with Finley live stream and reading some of your comments on how dialed these were. I happen to agree, and for the foreseeable future, these irons will be in the bag and I am SO excited about it. The kind of accuracy I was able to produce between these heads and the Project X IO shafts (which I am also kind of in love with).

Anyone surprised?

So... Yeah.

I'm watching back the Drinks with Finley live stream and reading some of your comments on how dialed these were. I happen to agree, and for the foreseeable future, these irons will be in the bag and I am SO excited about it. The kind of accuracy I was able to produce between these heads and the Project X IO shafts (which I am also kind of in love with).

Anyone surprised?
that you finally made the correct choice? yes. you were starting to get to @JDax level of second guessing. ;)

Can't wait to hear your long term thoughts on them. Spring Golf will be there soon enough.

So... Yeah.

Anyone surprised?
AWESOME choice! Should make for a great start to your year.

Where do we who guessed that exact combo in the predict thread collect our prize?! :p

So... Yeah.

Anyone surprised?

Thought you were leaning Pros actually. The shots I saw you hit on the stream were pretty $$$ w/ em. Helped solidify my thoughts on em.

So... Yeah.

Anyone surprised?
So yeah, you have me back on the fence. Feel on these is awesome besides the performance.

Thought you were leaning Pros actually. The shots I saw you hit on the stream were pretty $$$ w/ em. Helped solidify my thoughts on em.
I was, because I think what they have accomplished there is spectacular and my Sunday night stream experience showcased them beautifully, however, what I was able to do last night was something else, I felt like.

I'll let @Jman or @jdtox share their thoughts, but off camera I was comparing the two and the X Forged CB (especially without the live stream pressure) was simply on another level of precision... and there's something going on there that is promoting some ridiculous distances as well.

I was, because I think what they have accomplished there is spectacular and my Sunday night stream experience showcased them beautifully, however, what I was able to do last night was something else, I felt like.

I'll let @Jman or @jdtox share their thoughts, but off camera I was comparing the two and the X Forged CB (especially without the live stream pressure) was simply on another level of precision... and there's something going on there that is promoting some ridiculous distances as well.
I put it in the wrong thread because I didn’t really get it that this one existed, but I hit this 8i and was getting about 10 yards more distance over my 19s and a lot of straight balls. I liked the MMTs too.

I love the decision @Canadan. I thought these performed really well when I hit them, and there was this one set in particular with the MMT 95 that was just crazy automatic, and as you say, precise. Perfect spin window for me as well.

it is funny. I got to hit the pros today for the first time. They are great, but I went back the x forged and they felt every bit as good, but up every bit the numbers and they are a solid one piece forging.. there is something super cool about the x forged.

I think that massive piece of tungsten right behind the center contributes to some serious energy transfer.

How did this work out for you? I note you just picked up some MB's...
i couldn't quite get past the offset and the sole/turf interaction didn't feel right. balls kept going left on me.

it is funny. I got to hit the pros today for the first time. They are great, but I went back the x forged and they felt every bit as good, but up every bit the numbers and they are a solid one piece forging.. there is something super cool about the x forged.

I think that massive piece of tungsten right behind the center contributes to some serious energy transfer.
There really is something to the weight positioning in them. Seems more neutral than some of the gear bias in others with tungsten positioned a little differently and creates a really accurate flight. I think some of the thoughts of them being long are a misrepresentation though, personally. The makers have said they're not designed for distance, and not superior in distance to ones a couple people have mentioned seeing dramatic gains over. Fit over function maybe.

Back