Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I mean you got to see the 765 series before anyone else at the event we did so you should jump on these.

I know....I know.

They'll end up here eventually. I'm just trying to be responsible....for a few days.

The internal battle of ZX5 vs Apex is real!

I can see how that would be. I know a guy that's been playing the 5's for a while. He hit the Apex the other day and is now basically torn in half.:LOL:

Alright, just saw the ZX7 set in hand. Freaking beautiful. Like really nice. Also that 7i looks demanding. I can’t wait to get these in hand, just waiting for a shipping notification.

I know....I know.

They'll end up here eventually. I'm just trying to be responsible....for a few days.
Atta boy!!! If you need anymore push just let me know. :)

Alright, just saw the ZX7 set in hand. Freaking beautiful. Like really nice. Also that 7i looks demanding. I can’t wait to get these in hand, just waiting for a shipping notification.
I think once you get it in hand to hit it, you will be a bit surprised by it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

18 GIR on my home course today. Went under par for the first time in awhile.

ZX7’s were outstanding

18 GIR on my home course today. Went under par for the first time in awhile.

ZX7’s were outstanding
Awesome!!!! Congrats

Have a set of ZX5 irons headed my way. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get out onto the course with them.

Koepka gaming ZX7's and he's not even sponsored..

1611396097075.png

1611396319046.png

👀 👀

733D8F75-A54F-4FCE-91D0-22D5DB3402E3.jpeg
6C9B3758-B0EB-4DF9-979A-407A49C232AD.jpeg

How was the feel? Also what ball are you hitting?

Feel is incredibly good, both the ZX5 and ZX7. I find them hard to tell apart on center strikes. Toe side, I feel a touch more of that thin face sharpness with the ZX5, where the ZX7 stays a little more dense, but then also gets sharper if you stray too far.

Ball is a Srixon Z Star XV that looks have been in the hitting bay for quite some time. Shaft is Project X 6.0.

Feel is incredibly good, both the ZX5 and ZX7. I find them hard to tell apart on center strikes. Toe side, I feel a touch more of that thin face sharpness with the ZX5, where the ZX7 stays a little more dense, but then also gets sharper if you stray too far.

Ball is a Srixon Z Star XV that looks have been in the hitting bay for quite some time. Shaft is Project X 6.0.
I wondered because I am sure a different ball will give a bit different feedback. My gamer is the regular Chrome Soft and I would think it would give a softer feel compared to the XV. Always fun trying different balls when testing, but I always try the CS being my regular ball.

I wondered because I am sure a different ball will give a bit different feedback. My gamer is the regular Chrome Soft and I would think it would give a softer feel compared to the XV. Always fun trying different balls when testing, but I always try the CS being my regular ball.

Z Star XV is the ball that I game the most and do a majority of my hitting bay work with. I find TourB X to be very close and near interchangeable for me regarding numbers, that is the only alternative that I will use in the bay from time to time. I will try different brands on course but I almost always stick to Z Star XV for club testing.

I have been that guy that brings my own fresh ball to the sim. Was trying not to be too OCD today haha :D

I have been that guy that brings my own fresh ball to the sim. Was trying not to be too OCD today haha
I always take a sleeve of my own when testing. (y)

ZX7 - 2nd shot: 125mph, 19.3, 5793rpm, 178yds carry, 115ft peak, 49.5 descent

thumbnail_IMG_9144.jpg

Got to see these todays. Very pretty sticks.
The bits that I’m guessing (have not tried them yet) wont be for me: straight leading edge isn’t my fave. Srixons tend to be low spin. V sole isn’t great for a shallow swinger like me.
They are too pretty not to try though...for science.

V sole isn’t great for a shallow swinger like me.
Whereas for somebody like me, who's traditionally had a bit of trouble "finding the bottom," perhaps out of anxiety over swinging too deeply?, perhaps the turf interaction of the ZX series might be a Godsend?

Last edited:
Here are the results of a fun iron shootout this morning. Thanks to Golf & Ski Warehouse for the fitting session. I tried the following:
  • Srixon ZX7 with Project X 6.0
  • Srixon ZX5 with Project X 6.0
  • Callaway Apex Pro with Mitsubishi MMT 95S
  • Callaway X Forged CB with Mitsubishi MMT 95S
This was my first time with the Srixon and Apex Pro. I have hit the X Forged CB three times and with similar, positive results each time. The ZX7 had a Project X 6.0 plugged into it when I picked it up and decided to use that for both Srixon heads as I know it is a very good fit for me. The Callaway heads I have had great luck with the MMT95 in the past with the CB’s, so while each are rather different in weight, this was the comparison of the day.

Here are the results after six swings with each and tossing the 2 worst for a 4-shot average on each:

thumbnail_IMG_9148.jpg

In fairness to the Apex Pro, I did not put my best set of swings on it (excessively in-to-out path), but still made decent contact and those are the vagaries of testing. At this point I was feeling the ZX series the most, and decided to hit 6 more shots with each, again dropping the worst two for a now 8-shot average on the ZX series, and 4-shot average on the Callaway:

thumbnail_IMG_9151.jpg

Where Srixon have always shined for me historically, is that they knock just a little spin off while launching really well and with speed. I was ecstatic to see these results from both the ZX7 and ZX5.

The X Forged performed very similarly for me to prior fitting sessions, it is a fantastic, attractive feeling club with what I feel are solid middle of the road launch and spin that are really consistent. It also has plenty of ball speed, but did not have quite as much for me today. I do think it has slightly higher launch and more spin for me than the ZX7. AS a result, my very best carry with the X Forged fell short of my very best with the ZX7.

The Apex Pro I should have hit more balls with as it deserves a second chance. I love the looks, it feels great, and I want to like it. I probably just did not put my best set of swings on it, there may have been a heavy strike or two in there.

And, the data:

ZX Testing.png

Those ZX7 numbers are pretty playable @GraniteRoost . Fairly tight on the ones similarly struck. Looks good.

Back