Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Those ZX7 numbers are pretty playable @GraniteRoost . Fairly tight on the ones similarly struck. Looks good.

I am having similar thoughts. Honestly, I was optimistic that I would hit these will today but was not expecting this level of affirmation right out of the gate. I was over drawing the ball a bit today but making a better turn so I will live with some of the variance as I tinker with a rusty action in the off season.

Those ZX7 numbers are pretty playable @GraniteRoost . Fairly tight on the ones similarly struck. Looks good.

This is a good observation. If I take the top 5 ballspeed from each, which basically removed three of the lower speed, less solidly stuck shots, consistency is very good with the ZX.
#pinhunting

ZX Top5.png

This is a good observation. If I take the top 5 ballspeed from each, which basically removed three of the lower speed, less solidly stuck shots, consistency is very good with the ZX.
#pinhunting

View attachment 8989985

Good numbers! I'm noticing the same thing on my end. So far, some of the most consistent iron numbers out of the bunch. I can't wait to get on the course with my ZX7s. I also am throwing in a ZX UT 3 iron in the mix. Not sure what shaft I'll be throwing in it.

Also... I did give the Srixon ZX7 driver a test run with a Speeder EVO VII 757X and... uh... well... let's just say it may sitting in my bag at the moment. However, I can't confirm or deny it.

I am having similar thoughts. Honestly, I was optimistic that I would hit these will today but was not expecting this level of affirmation right out of the gate. I was over drawing the ball a bit today but making a better turn so I will live with some of the variance as I tinker with a rusty action in the off season.
#pinhunting

View attachment 8989985

Yeah no one's every perfect on a given monitor day. I can get the overdraws from the traction difference from indoor mats. It's like being glued to the floor compared to standing on what we play on here and can definitely affect my weight shift and tempo. I get a little excited. :p

The numbers look really good. Like I said, very playable. Right in a lot of the ranges I think are tweakable for tiny individual preferences, and nice and consistent. It's hard to argue against them as a real good fit for ya.

Here are the results of a fun iron shootout this morning. Thanks to Golf & Ski Warehouse for the fitting session. I tried the following:
  • Srixon ZX7 with Project X 6.0
  • Srixon ZX5 with Project X 6.0
  • Callaway Apex Pro with Mitsubishi MMT 95S
  • Callaway X Forged CB with Mitsubishi MMT 95S
This was my first time with the Srixon and Apex Pro. I have hit the X Forged CB three times and with similar, positive results each time. The ZX7 had a Project X 6.0 plugged into it when I picked it up and decided to use that for both Srixon heads as I know it is a very good fit for me. The Callaway heads I have had great luck with the MMT95 in the past with the CB’s, so while each are rather different in weight, this was the comparison of the day.

Here are the results after six swings with each and tossing the 2 worst for a 4-shot average on each:

View attachment 8989976

In fairness to the Apex Pro, I did not put my best set of swings on it (excessively in-to-out path), but still made decent contact and those are the vagaries of testing. At this point I was feeling the ZX series the most, and decided to hit 6 more shots with each, again dropping the worst two for a now 8-shot average on the ZX series, and 4-shot average on the Callaway:

View attachment 8989977

Where Srixon have always shined for me historically, is that they knock just a little spin off while launching really well and with speed. I was ecstatic to see these results from both the ZX7 and ZX5.

The X Forged performed very similarly for me to prior fitting sessions, it is a fantastic, attractive feeling club with what I feel are solid middle of the road launch and spin that are really consistent. It also has plenty of ball speed, but did not have quite as much for me today. I do think it has slightly higher launch and more spin for me than the ZX7. AS a result, my very best carry with the X Forged fell short of my very best with the ZX7.

The Apex Pro I should have hit more balls with as it deserves a second chance. I love the looks, it feels great, and I want to like it. I probably just did not put my best set of swings on it, there may have been a heavy strike or two in there.

And, the data:

View attachment 8989978
Those are great and you could play anyone of those irons and do well. I think the ZX7 would be great with the descent angle it is giving you.

I went back to the golf store today today and wanted to workout ZX7 and JPX921F together. The two leading contenders. I also put a few more swings on the Apex Pro. Here is what happened:

ZX Testing Day 2.png

Hitting order was ZX7 w/ PX, 921F, Apex Pro, more ZX7 w/ PX, then ZX7 Modus to finish.

921F likes:
-a little more distance and forgiveness
-chromoly!

ZX7 likes:
-looks and feel are my favorite of the three
-great spin and launch window for me. Of course, a guy could blend in ZX5 and gain speed and forgiveness in the longer clubs. Hmmmmmm.....

Apex Pro likes:
-for me, I am seeing a slightly higher level of spin and launch, and slightly less distance.
-very consistent numbers. I hit them solid today.
-compact, but somewhat more forgiving than it looks on mishits.

The ZX7 are my favorites, but its a close battle with the 921F. I think its wild that the hollowbody Apex Pro is giving the most spin of the three, and that it is an extremely neutral middle of the road spot for a players CB. I could play any of these and they would be a ton of fun.

I went back to the golf store today today and wanted to workout ZX7 and JPX921F together. The two leading contenders. I also put a few more swings on the Apex Pro. Here is what happened:

View attachment 8990113

Hitting order was ZX7 w/ PX, 921F, Apex Pro, more ZX7 w/ PX, then ZX7 Modus to finish.

921F likes:
-chromoly!

ZX7 likes:
-great spin and launch window for me. Of course, a guy could blend in ZX5 and gain speed and forgiveness in the longer clubs. Hmmmmmm.....

Apex Pro likes:
-for me, I am seeing a slightly higher level of spin and launch, and slightly less distance.

The ZX7 are my favorites, but its a close battle with the 921F. I think its wild that the hollowbody Apex Pro is giving the most spin of the three, and that it is an extremely neutral middle of the road spot for a players CB. I could play any of these and they would be a ton of fun.
You are really hitting all of these well!!! Good numbers across the board, but I do like the ZX7 with the Project X 6.0 shaft for you. Seems super consistent. I've never hit it, but seems good for you.

View attachment 8990113

921F likes:
-chromoly!

ZX7 likes:

Apex Pro likes:

some great numbers. I can’t help but see that and say 921F are the irons to play and not look back. I have them in the 8-pw and love all that they are giving me

Got to play 9 today and the ZX5’s are already deeply ingrained into my bag. Hit all the irons solidly, they are a little longer than the 785’s but I’ve already adjusted to that. The AW is an absolute gem.

Got to play 9 today and the ZX5’s are already deeply ingrained into my bag. Hit all the irons solidly, they are a little longer than the 785’s but I’ve already adjusted to that. The AW is an absolute gem.

I am regretting not ordering an AW with my ZX5. My order is 'in process', I wonder if I can change it without delaying the order.

Though I wonder if I'll end up changing my wedge configuration. I currently play the 565 through PW, then go to a 50*, 54* and 58* CBX2s. I really like the CBX for short game shots...my 50* is my go to for most partial wedge shots as well. The ZX5 AW would have big shoes to fill in that spot in my bag.

I am regretting not ordering an AW with my ZX5. My order is 'in process', I wonder if I can change it without delaying the order.

Though I wonder if I'll end up changing my wedge configuration. I currently play the 565 through PW, then go to a 50*, 54* and 58* CBX2s. I really like the CBX for short game shots...my 50* is my go to for most partial wedge shots as well. The ZX5 AW would have big shoes to fill in that spot in my bag.
Srixon has a great set AW, in looks and performance. Personally I prefer the specialty wedge when I get to the 50° spot. Definitely different for everyone.

You would have to order the AW separately. I tried adding a utility to my order and they said they'd have to cancel my first order and make another one. NO WAY that's happening! The wait now is bad enough.

I have the 50 CBX2 but I like the ZX5 AW better. Same loft but it feels more solid for some reason.

You would have to order the AW separately. I tried adding a utility to my order and they said they'd have to cancel my first order and make another one. NO WAY that's happening! The wait now is bad enough.
Exactly correct. My AW was a separate order. It arrived on the same day.

I have the 50 CBX2 but I like the ZX5 AW better. Same loft but it feels more solid for some reason.

What wedge lofts do you play after it? I'm probably overthinking this but...

Current
PW - 44
CBX2 - 50
CBX2 - 54
CBX2 - 58

New set

ZX5
PW - 44
AW - 49*
??

I'm thinking of getting the AW 1* weak, then going 52* and 56* for my CBX2s.....

Thoughts?

Part of it may be if the AW becomes my go to for chipping/pitching. In that case, I could probably just keep my 54 and 58.

Current
PW - 44
CBX2 - 50
CBX2 - 54
CBX2 - 58

New set

ZX5
PW - 44
AW - 49*
??

I'm thinking of getting the AW 1* weak, then going 52* and 56* for my CBX2s.....

Thoughts?
I have my ZX5 set one weak so the PW is 45. AW is 50, CBX 2 Full Face is 55 (56 weakened 1*) and a CBX 2 Full Face at 60. Works out great for my game and the gapping is nice.

Current
PW - 44
CBX2 - 50
CBX2 - 54
CBX2 - 58

New set

ZX5
PW - 44
AW - 49*
??

Thoughts?

Part of it may be if the AW becomes my go to for chipping/pitching. In that case, I could probably just keep my 54 and 58.
You could if you want to maintain the 4° gaps. Really depends on how far you hit each and go from there.

You could if you want to maintain the 4° gaps. Really depends on how far you hit each and go from there.

That was my thinking about gaps right now. I hit my PW 125 and my 50* 105. The 110-115 yard distance should be 'pin hunting' distance. I end up hitting a choked down PW which never quite works as well.

If a 48* gave me 110 or so and the 52* gave me 95-100...then I'd have good full swing gaps at that end of the bag.

Srixon has a great set AW, in looks and performance. Personally I prefer the specialty wedge when I get to the 50° spot. Definitely different for everyone.

The ZX7 AW may as well be a speciality wedge. I wasn't a fan when I first saw the photos but surprisingly I lreally enjoy hitting it. A lot softer feel than my RTX4's but that could also be the difference between a Dynamic Gold and KBS $ Taper shaft.

I don't like that it looks nothing like my irons or wedges but that's the only negative.

Exactly correct. My AW was a separate order. It arrived on the same day.

How long did your order take from shipping to delivery?

The ZX7 AW may as well be a speciality wedge. I wasn't a fan when I first saw the photos but surprisingly I lreally enjoy hitting it. A lot softer feel than my RTX4's but that could also be the difference between a Dynamic Gold and KBS $ Taper shaft.

I don't like that it looks nothing like my irons or wedges but that's the only negative.
Well it's definitely soft. Mine has chatter after one round. Lol. Did feel good though. Good match for the set and into my specialties. I like it.

Well, to be honest, I never even considered Srixon. The thought never crossed my mind. I went into my fitting last Thursday telling the instructor I’m going to keep a completely open mind. I went in with a slight bias wanting the new Apex clubs but I just didn’t strike them as well as the ZX7. It came down to a T100S or the ZX7. I ended up pulling trigger on the ZX7. Here’s the set-up below. Looking forward to range ratting!
7906DF3A-15E8-44C7-8341-D238461EFCC4.jpeg
After reading all the earlier posts, I may be ordering the A wedge too.

Well, to be honest, I never even considered Srixon. The thought never crossed my mind. I went into my fitting last Thursday telling the instructor I’m going to keep a completely open mind. I went in with a slight bias wanting the new Apex clubs but I just didn’t strike them as well as the ZX7. It came down to a T100S or the ZX7. I ended up pulling trigger on the ZX7. Here’s the set-up below. Looking forward to range ratting!
View attachment 8990266
After reading all the earlier posts, I may be ordering the A wedge too.
Ooh. Congrats. 1 strong D4 sounds thumpy!

Back