The Official Banter Away Thread

My company got acquired, and it was officially announced today.

First time this has happened to me, so slightly unnerving, but from everything I have been told, this will be a positive for all of us.

First time this has happened to me, so slightly unnerving, but from everything I have been told, this will be a positive for all of us.

Good luck, and hopefully it’s a positive for you

Good luck! I have been through this a few times and while it can be a bit unnerving, it typical brought positive changes.

Good luck. It is unnerving, and in most cases it turns out to be a positive. That said, be positive, work hard, and keep your antennae up. You should always have an updated resume, but now might be a good time to refresh yours.

I've been through it five times, and four of them were largely good. The fifth time, it was like we were the Aztecs and Spain had just acquired us. Of course, I've been through internal management changes that were even more traumatic. In retrospect, the bad ones were easy to see coming.

In general, the higher up in the organization you are, the more at risk you are. Some acquisitions are hands off, others involve assimilating the acquired company into the new culture. The more different the cultures, the more challenging the assimilation can be, especially if the new culture is more command and control.

Keep us posted.

It can stop raining any time. Just glad it is not snow.

I just stopped it to say:

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

My friend just posted this picture of her car in Phoenix!

859AC347-87E8-43B0-8BE2-1DB123583ED8.jpeg

Gotta love technology.
Our annual HOA meeting for TN while visiting our condo in FL.

667D7421-2A9F-48B0-B856-45B907501F70.jpeg

Small home reno projects are keeping me busy at night and exhausting me, but awesome to see little progress here and there

If only I could stop giving myself tiny cuts here and there that sting like crazy for days

Small home reno projects are keeping me busy at night and exhausting me, but awesome to see little progress here and there

If only I could stop giving myself tiny cuts here and there that sting like crazy for days

This tome of year I try to wear light work gloves and use Jack Black hand cream every day.

Good luck. It is unnerving, and in most cases it turns out to be a positive. That said, be positive, work hard, and keep your antennae up. You should always have an updated resume, but now might be a good time to refresh yours.

I've been through it five times, and four of them were largely good. The fifth time, it was like we were the Aztecs and Spain had just acquired us. Of course, I've been through internal management changes that were even more traumatic. In retrospect, the bad ones were easy to see coming.

In general, the higher up in the organization you are, the more at risk you are. Some acquisitions are hands off, others involve assimilating the acquired company into the new culture. The more different the cultures, the more challenging the assimilation can be, especially if the new culture is more command and control.

Keep us posted.

I had this happen to me as well. At first it was great. My manager was one of the smartest people I had ever worked for. I had the best job in the world! Then, about 2 years later, he announces that he is leaving his position to take a job with a California winery as their regional rep. This made no sense to me. He was the super involved Dad, very much in his Sons' lives. Now he will be traveling all over the eastern U.S. and Ontario? Really?

Then we bought a small, fine wine company that had just lost its 4 leading brands due to changes in affiliations further up the food chain. They still had a bunch of nice brands, but they had lost most of their volume to the realignment. Where did that volume go? To our parent company! They sucked it up as they had done in the past.

Then we folded that small, fine wine company into ours, and hired their Director of Sales to be ours! It was a disaster! People fled the company like rats deserting a sinking ship! Why? Because they had done business with him before, and knew what he was. i had heard stories about him and the company in the past, but nothing in those stories could live up to reality!

I became a much happier person when I began to regard myself as an independent contractor whose customer happens to be my current employer. I can still be loyal to a point and have a strong work ethic but I don’t have to own all the drama and pointy-haired management decisions. It makes it easier to be flexible and be open to a better situation

The mountains right above town today:

1611630923156.png

Wife is FAR more supportive of the second option..

Which I'm perfectly comfortable feeling perfectly strange about haha

Dusting of snow last night, supposed to be 53 this weekend. Mother Nature doing her best to make things suck daily.

Sounds like a wet round this weekend

We’re supposed to get snow tonight - Thurs coating to 2”

We’re getting about 4 inches here starting this afternoon.

We’re getting about 4 inches here starting this afternoon.

Same. Officially forecasted to get 3-5" between now and midnight. Area wide snow it seems.

Same. Officially forecasted to get 3-5" between now and midnight. Area wide snow it seems.

Coming across the state from west to east. Just a nuisance because it’s enough to cause travel issues. Thankfully, I opted to work from home today. Don’t need a snow commute this afternoon.

Dusting of snow last night, supposed to be 53 this weekend. Mother Nature doing her best to make things suck daily.
I'd feel bad for you except you included the fact that it's going to be 53*.

I'd feel bad for you except you included the fact that it's going to be 53*.

The high temperature here this weekend is going to be 19. Friday’s high is going to be 10. Lows of zero to -5.

Back