Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a link to the best vaccine tracker for Covid I’ve found. It’s encouraging that the daily doses averaged 1.16M per day in the last 7 days and 1.38M per day in the last 5 days. It seems reasonable that we will soon be at 1.8M+ doses per day and at that rate by the end of April we’d have over 200 million doses administered in the U.S. Hopefully enough Americans are willing to get the vaccine to reach herd immunity in the next 6 months.

I have no idea why the link says “Are you a Robot?”, lol. Maybe someone smarter than me can fix the title of the link.

Ran out of vaccine in my province. I love my PM... ;)

I noticed that Canada is well behind the UK and US in doses delivered per capita.

44C9B8A3-4EBF-42CB-AC8A-515A1F559786.jpeg

In promising news, it looks like the existing vaccines are still effective against the emerging variants based on the data that's been released over the last week or so.

In promising news, it looks like the existing vaccines are still effective against the emerging variants based on the data that's been released over the last week or so.

Is this accurate? You see all the clickbait articles across the web saying the vaccines are not effective against the new variant and newer mutations. This is why I stopped following the news on this, the conflicting information is so great that it seems impossible to know what to believe.

Regardless, for peace of mind I would like to see my in-laws and parents get the vaccine so they feel like they can live their lives again. Sadly, my mother is a year too young to qualify, although she has a myriad of health issues, so maybe that will help move her up on the list.

Is this accurate? You see all the clickbait articles across the web saying the vaccines are not effective against the new variant and newer mutations. This is why I stop following the news on this, the conflicting information is so great that it seems impossible to know what to believe.

Regardless, for peace of mind I would like to see my in-laws and parents get the vaccine so they feel like they can live their lives again. Sadly, my mother is a year too young to qualify, although she has a myriad of health issues, so maybe that will help move her up on the list.
My Dad works for Pfizer and so far they have seen positive results with effectiveness against variant strains. Of course, ask me tomorrow and the answer could be different.

My Dad works for Pfizer and so far they have seen positive results with effectiveness against variant strains. Of course, ask me tomorrow and the answer could be different.

That is great to hear. I would much rather get it from a reliable source than some clickbait garbage on the internet.

Is this accurate? You see all the clickbait articles across the web saying the vaccines are not effective against the new variant and newer mutations. This is why I stopped following the news on this, the conflicting information is so great that it seems impossible to know what to believe.

I don't know how things are scheduled for you guys, but here in the UK we have a series of cohorts that gives the order in which people are eligible

Initial cohorts are based on age ranges, but after those groups, there is a group for patients classed as clinically vulnerable, so if it was to work in a similar manner for you, assuming your mother has one of the conditions in that group, she would then be up next I would expect

Fingers crossed for you that she gets it soon

I don't know how things are scheduled for you guys, but here in the UK we have a series of cohorts that gives the order in which people are eligible

Initial cohorts are based on age ranges, but after those groups, there is a group for patients classed as clinically vulnerable, so if it was to work in a similar manner for you, assuming your mother has one of the conditions in that group, she would then be up next I would expect

Fingers crossed for you that she gets it soon

I do actually think she would be next up to get it based on her health issues. She's actually a little over a year too young, she's 63 but will be 64 in October and right now Florida has anyone over 65 being eligible. My dad is 67 so he qualifies, plus he has kidney disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and pretty much anything else you can think of so he's right at the top of the list.

The headlines are saying it is "less effective" but that largely stems from a lack of understanding of the science by headline writers, unfortunately. The efficacy is well above what it needs to be, so it's protective.

The headlines are saying it is "less effective" but that largely stems from a lack of understanding of the science by headline writers, unfortunately. The efficacy is well above what it needs to be, so it's protective.

Once again confirms why I refuse to read about this stuff on the internet anymore.

Ran out of vaccine in my province. I love my PM... ;)
Hehehe, right there with you.
Sadly, I have no confidence that a different party would have handled this thing any better - which is saying something. Our "leadership" of all stripes and colours is a complete farce.

Once again confirms why I refuse to read about this stuff on the internet anymore.

Yeah - it's one of those things where it's technically correct - but the dose is high enough where it's not an issue. I could go on forever about scientific reporting. STAT is a good source for scientific news.

Yeah - it's one of those things where it's technically correct - but the dose is high enough where it's not an issue. I could go on forever about scientific reporting. STAT is a good source for scientific news.

My understanding is that against current strains current vaccines still work. But the longer the virus can spread around the more it has chances to mutate and along the way into a strain that vaccine isn't as effective on. Hence the faster we can get the world (including poorer countries in e.g. Africa and South America) the better it is for everyone.

Hehehe, right there with you.
Sadly, I have no confidence that a different party would have handled this thing any better - which is saying something. Our "leadership" of all stripes and colours is a complete farce.
A different party most likely wouldn't have done lots better, but they wouldn't have invested in Chinese Tianjin-based CanSino Biologics on a COVID vaccine. Then, when Trudeau asked for the vaccine to be delivered so Canada could start testing it, Chinese officials demanded that Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, who’s being held in Vancouver on an extradition request from the United States, be released first. After that, the entire deal fell apart.

If we'd been making deals with actual friends from the start, we'd have more vaccine in Canada. Thats why we are behind. Wonder why the media isn't asking the same question? He's cost us lives on his botched deal.

Not worried about myself, but am about my parents/grandparents.

Last edited:

Question for you. And not making this political.
2 months ago, every politician and media outlet said it was not effective. Now those same sources are saying it is effective and everybody should consider getting it done. How is the layperson to believe anything at this point?

Well this is disappointing, but still hoping the majority of folks (in the US) are vaccinated by mid to late 21.

2 months ago, every politician and media outlet said it was not effective. Now those same sources are saying it is effective and everybody should consider getting it done. How is the layperson to believe anything at this point?
I wish I knew how to answer this. The way scientists communicate findings can be exploited by anyone with an agenda. That is a tragedy in cases like this.

Reactions: JB
Well this is disappointing, but still hoping the majority of folks (in the US) are vaccinated by mid to late 21.

In terms of this pandemic agree this is disappointing. But I'm encouraged that negative results are being publicized. All scientists should be better at disclosing failure. As other scientists can learn from those results too.

Leaving the political side out of it (because that's for other websites) It's pretty disgusting what the media has turned into. Sensationalized headlines and half truths to create controversy solely for "clicks". There is very little honest information in mainstream media these days.
putting the situation solely on the media is bringing politics into it. I understand that this was not your intent, but it could be read that way. The media shares blame, as does the government, scientists, pharma, and every person. The way out of it takes more transparent information from scientists and pharma, but just as important (if not more) a level of critical thought and education by the layperson. One's ability to find news outlets that provide explanations and information without agenda, is a must. (so I get your point)

Asking honestly and don't want to bring politics into this but is there a way to explain this without some type of politics being involved? I honestly don't know.

Asking honestly and don't want to bring politics into this but is there a way to explain this without some type of politics being involved? I honestly don't know.
No.

It's about the only thing the UK seems to have done right...

They are also leading the way in terms of molecular surveillance. Something like 2/3 of the sequences that have been deposited come from the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back