New Callaway SuperSoft and SuperSoft Max Golf Balls

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Supersoft golf ball essentially revolutionized an entire segment, taking the non-tour level golf ball and not just using it as a stopgap in a lineup, but as a ball that could truly make the game more enjoyable for a huge swath of golfers. The Supersoft 19 was an incredible seller for Callaway Golf, continually in the top 5 throughout its run, so when it came time to refresh the design for the 2021 roll out, they doubled down, quite literally. 

Say hello to the Callaway Supersoft and Supersoft MAX

Callaway Supersoft Golf Ball

It is only fitting to start with the main squeeze of the golf ball duo. The 2021 Supersoft is one looking to build on what is becoming a legacy by providing a more premium cover blend while still staying true to its target audience. That...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up @Jman. I loved the Callaway Hex Soft and could never get comfortable with the Supersoft. The new alignment line isn’t helping win that battle but I might get a dozen of the Max just to play a round with.

Great write-up @Jman , lots of good intell. Although neither of the balls are what I would play there is certainly some new tech which will help the applicable player.

Once these hit stores here in the UK, I may well pick up a box of the Max for Jen to try and see what she thinks of them

I suspect the Max replaces the Magna. Love the concept of a larger ball for better contact for sr's, jr's, beginners and ladies. But, I thought the Magna felt terrible. It came off like a knuckle ball with far less distance. If they fixed the distance and feel, the ball can help a lot of weekend warriors and occasional golfers with better contact.

I’m definitely going to pick up some of the Max balls for my daughter. Those are priced well and I’m sure she’ll enjoy hitting the ball higher vs when she practices with the CSX from my bags.

I picked up a box of the 19 super soft in yellow this fall just to try. Took them on my Galveston trip. They seemed to be considerably shorter off the club than my tp5x. Have not hit them
In sim yet you check spin and distance.

One thing I wish Callaway did was offer a larger bucket of there lower priced balls. I general pickup a bucket of top flights for my sons because they lose them so fast while they are learning. It would be great if you could pickup a bucket of Callaway Supersoft Max balls at a discount.

I can see a couple of the older guys I play with playing these as they play the supersoft already.

I'm always intrigued by low compression balls that are labeled soft, while some of these balls may not be geared towards me, I always like the thought of soft feel and potential distance. There's something about the feel and looks of a cover that is one of my favorite things about golf equipment. As always nice write up jman!

I have been playing the Supersoft almost exclusively over the last year. I’ll be moving away from it in 2021 in search of a ball that better suits my short game, but I love the ball, recommend it to many of my friends, and I LOOOVE the matte red!

Is the Max a larger diameter ball like the Magna ?
If not I’m struggling to see the differences between the regular and the Max ball.

I wound up playing the Supersoft extensively after the e6 changed to something that no longer worked for me. I like the 2019 version, but I do feel I give up some distance with the SS. Now that I am striking the ball better and losing fewer balls, I'm looking at a number of options for a better ball for my game.

One thing I wish Callaway did was offer a larger bucket of there lower priced balls. I general pickup a bucket of top flights for my sons because they lose them so fast while they are learning. It would be great if you could pickup a bucket of Callaway Supersoft Max balls at a discount.
Maybe try the ammo box type of used balls?

or logo over runs.

I hear you when my son was a beginner, he would slice the ball off the planet. Man, he loved the Yankees logo'd ball. Those suckers cost 3 bucks a piece. It was killing me to see those balls go into the trees every other hole.

Last edited:
Is the Max a larger diameter ball like the Magna ?
If not I’m struggling to see the differences between the regular and the Max ball.

Yes, the max is a bigger ball. " The target audience is slower swing speed golfers, players who struggle to make good contact and anyone else who needs a little bit of extra help to get the ball in the air. "The target diameter is 1.73 inches which, if you’re keeping score at home, is .05 of an inch above the USGA minimum size that most manufacturers target for their golf balls. That’s not a huge number. Callaway believes most golfers won’t notice much of a size difference but for those who need it, the benefits should be appreciable. That added bit of size serves to help elevate the center of gravity which in turn makes it easier to get the Supersoft MAX in the air (relative to other golf balls). "

Last edited:
I have yet to find a ball I like during the winter/cold months as much as the SuperSoft. If the new version is better (and I am very interested in the new cover), it will for sure be in my stockpile for the colder days.

I have yet to find a ball I like during the winter/cold months as much as the SuperSoft. If the new version is better (and I am very interested in the new cover), it will for sure be in my stockpile for the colder days.
I haven’t even considered it for winter golf since I don’t play in extreme cold but it probably would still be fun on cooler days.

I don’t play in extreme cold but it probably would still be fun on cooler days.
65 is not cooler, that is shorts weather. :LOL: You need to get to KS and play in the upper 40's and live a bit.

I haven’t even considered it for winter golf since I don’t play in extreme cold but it probably would still be fun on cooler days.

Usually below 50* is when I switch from Chrome Soft or Tour B RX to the SuperSoft.
You’re welcome to join me for my next round in the 20*’s though 😁

Usually below 50* is when I switch from Chrome Soft or Tour B RX to the SuperSoft.
You’re welcome to join me for my next round in the 20*’s though 😁
Hard pass on the tundra round but thanks for the idea on the SuperSofts. 😂

Another solid offering from Callaway. The SuperSoft is not a ball that I typically look to play but I do know many golfers who enjoy the soft feel it provides. Seeing an improvement on distance and spin with the new cover will only solidify their love for this ball. The Max is an interesting addition as well.

I do like the Supersoft, and may give the Max a try.

Back