Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't intend for this to go political. It was more for information on availability and side effects. I understand it is an emergency release not an approved vaccine. It's up to you and your Dr whether to go ahead and get the vaccine.

In terms of this pandemic agree this is disappointing. But I'm encouraged that negative results are being publicized. All scientists should be better at disclosing failure. As other scientists can learn from those results too.
One scientists unpublished failure is another scientists six months to a year (or more) banging their head against the wall wondering what they're doing wrong. Science can, and should do, a whole lot better. The acceptance of publishing negative results is one of those things we really need to be better at. My hope is that COVID is a wake-up call in a lot of areas. We'll see if it is (the pessimist in me says probably not).

As for me, I can't wait to get vaccinated. I mean, I do ... have to wait ... but the minute I'm eligible, I'm wearing my fancy clothes and marching my ass down to wherever I need to, to get the shot.

One scientists unpublished failure is another scientists six months to a year (or more) banging their head against the wall wondering what they're doing wrong. Science can, and should do, a whole lot better. The acceptance of publishing negative results is one of those things we really need to be better at. My hope is that COVID is a wake-up call in a lot of areas. We'll see if it is (the pessimist in me says probably not).

As for me, I can't wait to get vaccinated. I mean, I do ... have to wait ... but the minute I'm eligible, I'm wearing my fancy clothes and marching my ass down to wherever I need to, to get the shot.

I have unfettered access to thousands of doses.

1/10 don’t even have to be on the books. If you’re seriously WTF’ing my general premise behind that, go ahead and get in line. I’ll jab your arm too. (Sorry us arm jabbers are getting a little damn sick of it).

F it, it’s late night. You know what I make off a vaccine? $17.00 first dose, $28.00 second. Doesn’t matter if it’s insurance or not I’ve been assured that is what I make. Works great until you realize you’re paying a pharmacist OT for them and you can give more in 15 minutes than you have epipens on hand (key, we can’t give more in any given 15 minute block than epipens on hand. Good luck getting them. As a 1a and 1b and behind provided, you’d think I could get enough.

So what’s your point other than pestering and posturing on days old stuff? I’d youre that anxious to get it maybe be a little nicer to the guy that has them? Otherwise wait your damn turn and quit WTF’ing me.

Seriously. Take it to PM before you go there. I’ll discuss and tell you you’re wrong in PM very simply and eloquently. But don’t WTF me. Seriously. You 12 kid??

You could have it already. So shut it and get it if you want it.

Otherwise leave my not for debate comments out. Take it to PM with me if you want to be told you’re wrong.

(Mood isn’t great sorry-lost another loved one today, the vaccine isn’t going to change that).

Again. I have the science (and likely much more) understanding that you and others claimed have. Some have had a modicum of info. But none have claimed to have actually seen it. So believe what you want. If you want a fight with me, PM I’ll tell you you are wrong 70@ ways but could get you vaccinated tomorrow if I was inclined.

I’m not.

Ah good. Take it to PM. Give me your advanced degrees and IQ.

We can go from there.

That is great to hear. I would much rather get it from a reliable source than some clickbait garbage on the internet.
If you are on LinkedIn, you can follow Moderna and Pfizer and get the info straight from them...

88FE5228-52B6-4E93-A5C3-7A2A3D875F25.jpeg
63EF5D70-934E-4795-BAEA-2D2E3AD5076C.jpeg

I feared this would head this way, which is very odd all things considered.

We are leaving it open for now, because it can be a normal discussion. If it can't stay that way, we will be forced to close it.

Not sure if this should have a thread of its own, but for those of you who work in a public facing role (or even those who don't), are you being tested? And if so, how regular is testing being done and is it the lateral flow test you are using?

Due to my work, I have had a few lateral flow tests for certain circumstances, but it looks now like we are moving to a twice weekly lateral flow test due to being in an office with multiple people occupying it

Not sure if this should have a thread of its own, but for those of you who work in a public facing role (or even those who don't), are you being tested? And if so, how regular is testing being done and is it the lateral flow test you are using?

Due to my work, I have had a few lateral flow tests for certain circumstances, but it looks now like we are moving to a twice weekly lateral flow test due to being in an office with multiple people occupying it

My wife works in an assisted living facility and they test once a week with the PCR method.
Those rapid tests seem to be rather inaccurate. Three close friends recently gave Covid to each other and two of the three were negative on the rapid and all positive on the PCR. It definitely has given me little confidence in the rapid tests.

At the rate our province (Ontario) is poking arms, I’ll be lucky to see anything by September. Both my wife and I will be getting vaccine as she has no immune system and other medical issues making her high risk.

What I don’t understand and maybe someone can explain. I understand confidentiality, NDA’s, etc but if the urgency globally is to vaccinate as quickly as possible, why don’t Pfizer and Moderna license other drug manufacturers to make their vaccines in order to accelerate the inoculation?

My wife works in an assisted living facility and they test once a week with the PCR method.
Those rapid tests seem to be rather inaccurate. Three close friends recently gave Covid to each other and two of the three were negative on the rapid and all positive on the PCR. It definitely has given me little confidence in the rapid tests.
When doing the PCR test, are they doing the test themselves, or is someone else administering the test?

I wonder how effective the test can be if not done correctly by an individual, although the lateral flow test does include a control result, so hopefully an incorrect swab would show with a lack of the control result

At the rate our province (Ontario) is poking arms, I’ll be lucky to see anything by September. Both my wife and I will be getting vaccine as she has no immune system and other medical issues making her high risk.

What I don’t understand and maybe someone can explain. I understand confidentiality, NDA’s, etc but if the urgency globally is to vaccinate as quickly as possible, why don’t Pfizer and Moderna license other drug manufacturers to make their vaccines in order to accelerate the inoculation?
As much as I hate to say it, I suspect it is a combination of politics and/or money - if a company finds an effective answer to anything, not just medicine, they want to keep that secret to themselves to make as much as possible selling their solution, and if they farm out production to another rival they will have to pay some of that money to them for production costs

I’d be interested to know how many cycles they ran the PCR test at to find the positive.

When doing the PCR test, are they doing the test themselves, or is someone else administering the test?

I wonder how effective the test can be if not done correctly by an individual, although the lateral flow test does include a control result, so hopefully an incorrect swab would show with a lack of the control result
Sorry, to clarify, my wife and her work are a separate topic from the three friends I mentioned.
At my wife’s job, they outsource the PCR testing.

As for my friends, they all went (on the same day together) to a local emergency care facility that administers the testing. They all requested both the rapid and the PCR tests. The rapids were done by the facility and they had the results in a few hours. They received their PCR results 2-3 days later. I assume the PCR tests were sent out to a lab.

I’d be interested to know how many cycles they ran the PCR test at to find the positive.
I have no idea tbh. Wish I could answer that for you.

Sorry, to clarify, my wife and her work are a separate topic from the three friends I mentioned.
At my wife’s job, they outsource the PCR testing.

As for my friends, they all went (on the same day together) to a local emergency care facility that administers the testing. They all requested both the rapid and the PCR tests. The rapids were done by the facility and they had the results in a few hours. They received their PCR results 2-3 days later. I assume the PCR tests were sent out to a lab.
I wasn't thinking that they were the same place, no problem

I have read a number of articles stating that the lateral flow tests are not entirely accurate, but if the actual swabs are taken by the facility then you would like to think they have been taken correctly, so there must be something in the test kit that isn't detecting the virus correctly

For the PCR tests, they are sent to a lab, so the testing on those samples is obviously more detailed and is why in theory it should be more accurate

We get tested at least once a week if we head into the office, and that’s with a nasal swab PCR test. We get a turnaround by the end of the day.

Some more promising news - in the time frame since they've gotten the 2nd vaccine, only 20 out of 128K people in Israel (who have had one of the more, if not the most aggressive vaccination timeline) were diagnosed with COVID, and they saw a sharp decrease in hospitalizations ~3 weeks after the first shot. I think we'll start to see the numbers look better pretty quickly as the vaccine rollout continues to ramp up here.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/week-...ne-shot-only-20-of-128000-israelis-get-covid/

I feared this would head this way, which is very odd all things considered.

We are leaving it open for now, because it can be a normal discussion. If it can't stay that way, we will be forced to close it.

Sorry sir. I was not in a good mood and I shouldn’t have said anything knowing that I wasn’t. Lost another loved one yesterday. I shouldn’t have been on here.

I shall exit but if anyone wants to discuss it with me, seriously send me a PM.

Well one positive from the social distancing, and later the masks. Usually by this time of the year in Canada there will have been 15,000 influenza cases.
This year there are 51, zero in my province.

Wonder after the vaccine how many people will still wear masks in public, or just when they are sick (isn't the worst idea)?

Well one positive from the social distancing, and later the masks. Usually by this time of the year in Canada there will have been 15,000 influenza cases.
This year there are 51, zero in my province.

Wonder after the vaccine how many people will still wear masks in public, or just when they are sick (isn't the worst idea)?

Or how many workplaces will actually continue to encourage workers to stay home when they feel ill.

My son is headed back to college February 9th (3,100 students) and they get tested(PCR) the day they get back and are restricted to their dorm building and cafeteria once on campus other than going to class. They get test a few times the first two weeks and the school will determine how frequent they get tested after that depending on the number of positive results. Last sememster he was tested about 7 times. Students who test positive get moved to a hotel or go home if they prefer and have that capability. Last semester they had about 35 positive test results but no Covid breakouts and they were able to do 60% in person class for the entire semester.

We recently received this note in one of the email from his school:

COVID-19 Vaccines

We have been in regular contact with public health officials about becoming a closed point of dispensing (CPOD) the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it becomes available for our students, faculty, and staff. Being a CPOD means that St. Olaf would staff and manage a vaccine distribution program on campus for our own students and employees. At this point, health officials don't have a clear timeline for us on when this will be possible. As soon as we learn more, we will communicate this with the campus community.

A co-worker of my wife just got her second shot, had to be taken to the ER for a bad reaction to it.

A co-worker of my wife just got her second shot, had to be taken to the ER for a bad reaction to it.
Hope everything is ok.

I'm actually a little surprised how few severe reactions I've heard about with now what 20million doses or so given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back