Patrick Reed is Good for Golf: Prove Me Wrong

Every sport has heroes and villains and the last two decades have shown that winning cures all. He has been on tour just short of 10 years and has built a pretty rock solid resume. Patrick Reed is good for golf.

Reed has 9 PGA Tour Victories and 3 wins on the Euro Tour. He is a major winner and has had a top 10 in every major and top 5 in 3 of the 4.

He is a good interview and says what’s on his mind.

He has had some brushes with the rules in the past, although I don’t believe yesterday was one of them.

So prove me wrong, Patrick Reed is good for golf.

111-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...
He may be good for golf, but that polo he’s wearing sure as hell isn’t

100% good for golf in terms of attention to the game. Totally agree.

But, he’s still a cheater and a dbag. But people will watch the villain every time.

Well, If there are juniors that look up to Reed they might start incorporating his antics into their own play. To me that’s not good for the game. Same as juniors take after tour pro slow play, not good either.
I get all of that. But we saw the greatest of a generation do the same and it never once impacted golf. In fact the game grew to new heights. He is considered a hero.

So while I’m not comparing them, I’m still trying to figure out how he is bad for the game? I understand we are in a social media world now where everything is magnified vs when Tiger took his illegal drop, but if we are basing it on the role model ideal, I’m not sure I follow.

I can forgive and forget a lot of things. Blatant dishonesty and stealing from teammates (if true) is not one I can.

He’s a smelly turd (if true).

If that’s not than he can be as big of a prick as he wants, doesn’t impact me one way or another. But if what’s supposedly true is, nope.

Can’t get past that.

But you’ll never actually know if those things are true, so you don’t have anything to get past, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither was Tiger Woods and he was certainly good for golf. It hasn’t suffered from him either 😀
Tiger Woods discretions were never on course, and cheating in the game is an issue with younger players, and Reed is horrible for that.

THe TW situation is different, but in addition Tiger Woods owned his infidelity and eventually his resurgence has been marketed as a redemption (how scripted or not). He suffered a blow to his person life integrity and while he was out of the spotlight, there was a decline in viewership and participation in the game, in the past few years since the incident and fall from grace has been used to rebrand him, and viewership has increased as such, and participation was on a gradual upswing until Corona....

You can’t be proved wrong. Reed is good for golf. He is like that villain everybody loves to hate.

I can't prove you wrong. I think he is good for golf. Not everyone needs to have that Jordan Spieth type image. Plus he's got some impressive aspects to his game. And I love that when controversy surrounds him that he tends to play well. just like he did in Mexico last season.

Tiger Woods discretions were never on course, and cheating in the game is an issue with younger players, and Reed is horrible for that.

THe TW situation is different, but in addition Tiger Woods owned his infidelity and eventually his resurgence has been marketed as a redemption (how scripted or not). He suffered a blow to his person life integrity and while he was out of the spotlight, there was a decline in viewership and participation in the game, in the past few years since the incident and fall from grace has been used to rebrand him, and viewership has increased as such, and participation was on a gradual upswing until Corona....
I’m not speaking of his infidelity. But to think those things don’t impact youth and role model goals is a unique thought.

I was speaking to Tiger Woods breaking the rules at the Masters.

So we have seen other players attempting to stretch the rules as far as possible. Tiger getting a boulder moved, rails on a fence taken down, burrowing animals, etc. I'd rather players ask others and make there own determination. This waiting for a rules official to determine if and where you get a drop when the ball is resting on a metal grate is ridiculous. Overall I think the discussions on the rule interpretations is good for the game, I've learned a lot from the arguments.

Patrick is like an old school WWE villain character, most love to hate him and some love the big middle finger he gives all the detractors. I’d say you could even say he is a role model because one could point him out and say “see him, don’t be that jack@$$” when showing there kids how to play the game. But still as far as good for the game might be a stretch as most of the beginning CBS coverage was shown with former players not pleased with Reed an stepping on eggshells to not rock the PGA ship and the announcers panning how the new rules official handled the call correctly. Seemed divided and far from concrete.

I give most the benefit of the doubt. At first i thought that after seeing the bounce, maybe it dropped into a hole made by someone else's ball earlier in the tournament. But after hearing him ask the volunteer, seeing the whole video, he did nothing wrong that we could see. some other things, But with all the cameras these days, its hard to get away with some things.

but bad for golf, nope

Not my favorite golfer, but, he played a helluva rock solid game today!

He's absolutely good for golf. Everything is better with a good heel. Patrick Reed is a great heel. He's also real darn good at golf.

But you’ll never actually know if those things are true, so you don’t have anything to get past, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess when you put it that way...

I’m just saying, if that were the case, not cool.

I can forgive him being a Richard. That’s past Richard level.

I think back on all my teammates over the years and none of them ever accused me of something like this. I’ll acknowledge that there wasn’t much to gain from it like here where he may pay some “shut up” money (I’m again just stating) and it could go away.

I don’t like him. More than one teammate chirping is cause for alarm and I can read folks half decent. He pissed them off at some point in his past. Whether what is claimed or other. He pissed them off. None of my teammates will say that outside of me sucking for a weekend of golf.

I think Reed is a really good golfer and yes he is the villain you want to root against.

He isn’t good enough to be a super villain ala Lebron or Brady, but he is just good enough to root against and smile when he has a bad tournament.

Yeah he cheated a wee bit yesterday but he's a great lier. Today he played great and no one came even close.

I get all of that. But we saw the greatest of a generation do the same and it never once impacted golf. In fact the game grew to new heights. He is considered a hero.

So while I’m not comparing them, I’m still trying to figure out how he is bad for the game? I understand we are in a social media world now where everything is magnified vs when Tiger took his illegal drop, but if we are basing it on the role model ideal, I’m not sure I follow.

If Tiger would be known for cheating first (on the course...) and his playing second it would be different but he wasn't. P Reed is first, second, and third known for his cheating and controversies. Makes for great content, I agree 100% but not necessarily the person you want to be an ambassador for the game. Tiger also inspired people to pick up the game, not sure Reed is in that category.

Yeah he cheated a wee bit yesterday but he's a great lier. Today he played great and no one came even close.

Was t following but what character defect did he commit now?

He’s everything you want a successful golfer to be. Tenacious, has zero give a damn, mentally strong and has one hell of a golf game to back it all up.

That being said, He’s not good for golf. He’s showing that he will cheat or at the very least being very liberal with the rules to get an outcome in his favor. Who knows what he’s done when no one was watching or without cameras. When a respectable person like Kostis says he’s seen on at least 4 occasions Reed cheating that’s all I need to know.

No one can say what’s on his mind in these situations, but he has proven to at least be questioned each time. Golf needs a villain, but it needs an honest villain not someone who cheats at what seems like every chance he gets.

Tomorrow morning, all the golf shows will be talking about him. He draws attention, good or bad. It helps that he's a good player too. Nobody would care if he was some asshat nobody had ever heard of.

Every sport has heroes and villains and the last two decades have shown that winning cures all. He has been on tour just short of 10 years and has built a pretty rock solid resume. Patrick Reed is good for golf.

Reed has 9 PGA Tour Victories and 3 wins on the Euro Tour. He is a major winner and has had a top 10 in every major and top 5 in 3 of the 4.

He is a good interview and says what’s on his mind.

He has had some brushes with the rules in the past, although I don’t believe yesterday was one of them.

So prove me wrong, Patrick Reed is good for golf.

111-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...
I won't disagree with you. Not that I watch much pga golf as it is. Very little in fact.

However, I did watch the last few holes today. Saw Reed's "winners" interview. Thought he did alright for himself, and the game.

I've been out the country. What happened? Did they catch Patrick Reed cheating? I saw him holding up the trophy...

The greatest of all time comes to mind with his Masters drop (not the other cheating) and very few would make the case that he is bad for the game.
i don't remember Jack having a questionable masters drop.;)

Professional golf? yes. I don't think he moves the needle outside of us junkies that watch all events but don't think he is bringing it down. Bryson, him wolff's swing, all things different and particularly those that get peoples temperature up are good to get engagement about the tour.

If I was him I would go full iron sheik mode on all the Euro players and every single day I would wear red white and blue. Thursday: Blue hat, white Shirt, red pants. Friday: red hat, white shirt, blue pants. Saturday red hat, blue shirt, white pants. Sunday: white hat, red shirt, blue pants. just lean into it and maybe you get clothing sponsor.

But never ever wear a black hat, that would be leaning into the bad guy deal too much.

I love having a hateable player we can all root against. Having a wrestling heel character is awesome. Unifying to root against him is awesome.

I don't know if the blatant cheating is necessarily good. But having a unifying heel is.

Back