Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

These look really nice, but the offset on the shorter clubs is a pretty big turn off for me personally. The Pros are a bit nicer in that regard. Hoping to give a bunch a demo next Friday and perhaps decide on my 21 setup.

So... Yeah.

I'm watching back the Drinks with Finley live stream and reading some of your comments on how dialed these were. I happen to agree, and for the foreseeable future, these irons will be in the bag and I am SO excited about it. The kind of accuracy I was able to produce between these heads and the Project X IO shafts (which I am also kind of in love with).

Anyone surprised?

I think this is an awesome decision @Canadan, from the moment you first tested them (months ago) it appears that you just swing very easily and they just go straight. I don’t recall seeing one shot through all the videos were you went crazy off-line. The shafts as well seem like a really good match to your swing. I look forward to hearing how they progress through 2021 good call ....congrats.

So... Yeah.

I'm watching back the Drinks with Finley live stream and reading some of your comments on how dialed these were. I happen to agree, and for the foreseeable future, these irons will be in the bag and I am SO excited about it. The kind of accuracy I was able to produce between these heads and the Project X IO shafts (which I am also kind of in love with).

Anyone surprised?
How you gushed about them, no, not surprised. I heard a different level of excitement when these came up in conversation.

The X Forged are going to be more punishing on mishits vs the Pros correct? I'm smitten by the look of the Pros but the more I see these the more I like them.

The X Forged are going to be more punishing on mishits vs the Pros correct? I'm smitten by the look of the Pros but the more I see these the more I like them.
According to the information they gave, correct.

These irons are impeccable. So much better in hand, and these were quite good for me numbers wise, and I mean quite good.

I was, because I think what they have accomplished there is spectacular and my Sunday night stream experience showcased them beautifully, however, what I was able to do last night was something else, I felt like.

I'll let @Jman or @jdtox share their thoughts, but off camera I was comparing the two and the X Forged CB (especially without the live stream pressure) was simply on another level of precision... and there's something going on there that is promoting some ridiculous distances as well.
Can confirm. Something about those CB’s and that setup really clicked for you. Numbers were great and accuracy is unreal. I do think you could play either but XFCB definitely were just a slight notch better

Can confirm. Something about those CB’s and that setup really clicked for you. Numbers were great and accuracy is unreal. I do think you could play either but XFCB definitely were just a slight notch better
Totally agree. It was fun for our thoughts on what he should play to change and evolve as the week went.

Could he play the Apex Pro? Clearly. But with his ball striking the X’s offer everything needed and then some themselves. I think as the season begins and he shapes into form, these are going to do unreal things, consistently.

So... Yeah.

Anyone surprised?
Not even a little bit, as I’ve seen you stripe Cally irons in person

Well I took out the full set half a dozen more times to get some data and a better comparison to the full set Apex Pro I ordered, and as well as I scored with the full set some, and especially once (putted my butt off that round though) I'm done with the X Forged scoring clubs. Done done. The offset bothered me the first time I saw them, and that and the shape and feel of the short irons just doesn't work for me. Personal preference, obviously, but they just don't look anything like a player's CB to me over the ball in those clubs. I mean, P770, that everyone seems to like to dog on, have less visual (and I think actual) offset in the scoring clubs than these. Visually, they don't cater to the same player as others in their class. More importantly, it impacts my performance. I don't want that much in those clubs, and it shows up in my dispersion. I fight it. I still play well enough with them, and I'm splitting pretty fine hairs for most people, but paried with a shaft I really like, I expect better of myself. So they're out, and they won't be back. Going back to just the 4,5,6 with the Apex MB's until the Pros show up. Been a few months of trying a bunch of things, but decision(s) time is getting closer so I guess it's time to start making cuts. 1 down.

Last edited:
Well I took out the full set half a dozen more times to get some data and a better comparison to the full set Apex Pro I ordered, and as well as I scored once with the full set some, and especially once (putted my butt off that round though) I'm done with the X Forged scoring clubs. Done done. The offset bothered me the first time I saw them, and that and the shape and feel of the short irons just doesn't work for me. Personal preference, obviously, but they just don't look anything like a player's CB to me over the ball in those clubs. I mean, P770, that everyone seems to like to dog on, have less visual (and I think actual) offset in the scoring clubs than these. Visually, they don't cater to the same player as others in their class. More importantly, it impacts my performance. I don't want that much in those clubs, and it shows up in my dispersion. I fight it. I still play well enough with them, and I'm splitting pretty fine hairs for most people, but paried with a shaft I really like, I expect better of myself. So they're out, and they won't be back. Going back to just the 4,5,6 with the Apex MB's until the Pros show up. Been a few months of trying a bunch of things, but decision(s) time is getting closer so I guess it's time to start making cuts. 1 down.
you were certainly more patient with them than I was. after about 1.5 rounds in, i was done. that offset was killing me.

you were certainly more patient with them than I was. after about 1.5 rounds in, i was done. that offset was killing me.
I try to give things a fair shake and let the data speak, but now that's it's done, I'm so over it. Lol I honestly don't ever want to see them again.

These irons are impeccable. So much better in hand, and these were quite good for me numbers wise, and I mean quite good.
How does the performances vary against the pro's? They should be a very similar classes iron for the same segment of golfer? Are the pro's more forgiving and longer by design with the extra tech?

I try to give things a fair shake and let the data speak, but now that's it's done, I'm so over it. Lol I honestly don't ever want to see them again.
Can you post a pic of the playing address of the lower irons that really bother you? Maybe beside a set that suits your eye. Our local shop isnt going to get these in

I avoided hitting these when they were released till this weekend. I enjoyed the 7 iron at least. Not sure I would game them but I did prefer them over the Apex Pro.

Can you post a pic of the playing address of the lower irons that really bother you? Maybe beside a set that suits your eye. Our local shop isnt going to get these in
I can in a little while. I posted one of the 7 next to the ZX7 7 in that thread that pretty much tells the story in general though. Pretty consistent difference throughout. Let me see if I can find it.

20210104_133545.jpg

That's the x Forged 7 on the left ZX7 7 on the right. Similar throughout the short irons. All the irons, really. I can snap a few picks of something like the 9i next to some others later tonight.

How does the performances vary against the pro's? They should be a very similar classes iron for the same segment of golfer? Are the pro's more forgiving and longer by design with the extra tech?

just for me, these were shorter than the pro 21, and visually had a fair bit more offset. i just remember being very surprised by the xfcb and not in a good way. it didn’t look like an iron that would excite its target golfer. i haven’t actually put the xfcb side by side against the pro 21, but one of those irons got my blood flowing and the other was the xfcb. ymmv

just for me, these were shorter than the pro 21, and visually had a fair bit more offset. i just remember being very surprised by the xfcb and not in a good way. it didn’t look like an iron that would excite its target golfer. i haven’t actually put the xfcb side by side against the pro 21, but one of those irons got my blood flowing and the other was the xfcb. ymmv

I think the is one of the rare years where the tech iron(Apex Pros) look better than the other players irons(Apex MB and XFCB). I can’t think of many other lineups where that is the case.

I can in a little while. I posted one of the 7 next to the ZX7 7 in that thread that pretty much tells the story in general though. Pretty consistent difference throughout. Let me see if I can find it.

View attachment 8991378

That's the x Forged 7 on the left ZX7 7 on the right. Similar throughout the short irons. All the irons, really. I can snap a few picks of something like the 9i next to some others later tonight.
I feel like I am fine with the ZX7... But ouch ...i just cut my finger on that Cally sooo small and thin

I feel like I am fine with the ZX7... But ouch ...i just cut my finger on that Cally sooo small and thin
Are we looking at the same iron? The Apex Pro 19 was smaller on top and bottom.

20210201_205654.jpg20210201_210015.jpg

Hopefully this gives you a better idea too, @MH .

Not that they're not fine irons, just not for me, and kind of an odd player fit for the style. I do love some things about them. I think @JB called it early when he said the player profile is a bit niche.

View attachment 8991443View attachment 8991444

Not that they're not fine irons, just not for me, and kind of an odd player fit for the style. I do love some things about them. I think @JB called it early when he said the player profile is a bit niche.
Looking at zx7...

View attachment 8991443View attachment 8991444

Thank you for the image though... Wow! Those Apex pro are tiny.

Thanks for the pic @OldandStiff definitely can see what u are talking about regarding offset. Is the pw the same shape as the 9. I can’t tell if bugs me or not, definitely like the look of the apex pro a bit better

Looking at zx7...
Yeah, I know. I just don't/didn't think the Forged look much smaller or thinner than them in the picture really, so the reaction threw me is all. Just a little shorter blade length and I think maybe fraction smaller top line. All in the eye of the guy/gal about to put a swing on them though. That's what counts. (y)

The 8 iron is a bit rough to look at in these. The offset is there in all its glory. It seems to ease off a fair amount in the 7 and longer irons.

Back