Sports Card Collecting

TRyan

Granddaddy 2X | GOAT Cup Champ | Gray Bull Bound
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
THP,

With the resurgence of Sports Cards this past year or so, I was curious if anyone else collects or invests like I do?

I have been purchasing a lot of sealed wax as well as individual cards, both graded and ungraded, and am having a blast.

Is anyone else out here doing any sports card investing or ripping?

To try and relate this to Golf, I bought up a bunch of Tiger Woods "Rookie" Cards from the 2001 Upper Deck Golf Set, and have sent quite a few of them off to PSA to be graded.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I have a small collection. Nothing crazy and I do it for fun... I’d love to have a few specific cards but I’ll save that for when I win the lottery.

I have a small collection. Nothing crazy and I do it for fun... I’d love to have a few specific cards but I’ll save that for when I win the lottery.

That is awesome. Opening cards really brings back some nostalgia I had as a kid going through cards with my dad.

That is awesome. Opening cards really brings back some nostalgia I had as a kid going through cards with my dad.
Completely agree! I’ve actually bought two boxes of hockey cards over the last year and it reminded me of going to the collectibles store after school as a kid.

I stopped a few years a go but I was pretty heavily into it from 2006-2015 or so.

I used to collect when I was younger. I have a bunch of stuff still in a box from the mid 90’s. I think it’s mostly baseball and some basketball, no clue how to go through it at this moment though.

I spent way too much money on packs probably 20 years ago. We would go every day at lunch during work, and spend hundreds a day on packs.

Do I have anything of value at all left after all of that ridiculous spending? Not at all.

My all time favorite pull though, was a Shaquille O'Neal rookie card from Upper Deck that I pulled when I was a kid. Sadly I have no clue what happened to it.

My brother and I had a TON of cards...mostly baseball, some basketball. Our parents wouldn't let us buy anymore at one point, until we got them all in sleeves. Anyway, fast forward 25 years or so and we had a toybox full of cards when my parents retired and moved. So, my brother got them all. He recently went though them and picked out all of the "good ones" and gave the rest away to a kid and his Dad who are HUGE collectors. I still have my Griffey Jr. Upper Deck #1 in a hard case in my basement. I know I (We) have a number of good cards....Kobe Rookie's, a few more rare Jordan's, and my brother has a George Brett rookie, too.

Great memories!

My dad owned a card shop when I was growing up, so it's something I was always interested in. At one time I had close to 200,000 cards. Ended up selling most of them because I was tired of transporting them any time I'd move. Still have a small case full of rare cards and autographs, but that's about it. Crown jewel of my collection is a complete set of 86-87 Fleer basketball, with the Michael Jordan rookie included. At one time my dad had three complete sets, but he's sold off most of his collection as well.

A few years back I sold everything and I had tons but I kept 1 card. When I was a kid I mowed a guys yard for a summer for this card. So it has a little sentimental value.

F1FFF2DD-9272-4AAE-8547-B3797CE277F4.jpeg

I have enjoyed seeing updates on Twitter about the card market.

I have heard about rumblings about money laundering driving the prices through the roof. Any truth to that?

I have heard about rumblings about money laundering driving the prices through the roof. Any truth to that?
The shat people come up with... genius!

i collected baseball cards when i was a kid. i have boxes of them that have been sitting in my basement for 30+ years, guess maybe i should go through them and see if there are any good ones.

Not that I am aware of.

Honestly, I think COVID has a lot to do with it, but I also think these companies learned their lesson from the "Junk Wax" Era, where they printed WAYYY to many cards.

If you go to a Walmart or Target now, you would be hard-pressed to find ANYTHING valuable on the shelves. People camp out all day to catch a restock of cards to either open, or sell for a profit.

It is tough to say what will happen with cards when the Pandemic ends, but I am investing mostly in older players, as opposed to younger rookies, but at the end of the day it is not much different than gambling.

i collected baseball cards when i was a kid. i have boxes of them that have been sitting in my basement for 30+ years, guess maybe i should go through them and see if there are any good ones.

Definitely worth a shot! Most of the older stuff (unless its like SUPER old) is not worth a ton, but always worth looking.

I was big into it in the late 80's, and actually ran a small business for a few summers with some high school friends. Eventually I sold everything off when I was in college and decided that beer money was more important. I only have about 5-10 cards that I saved sitting in my desk somewhere.

I was pretty invested in the hobby 20 years ago, hockey mostly. Dad was pretty heavy into Gretzky cards for many, many years. Mailman used to be at our box every day with another envelope of two (sound familiar THP?)

I didn't realize that they were making a comeback; the extent of our collecting nowadays is the annual Tim Horton's hockey set. Of course, there's only one legitimate card shop within 6+ hours of home so access is limited.

THP,

With the resurgence of Sports Cards this past year or so, I was curious if anyone else collects or invests like I do?

I have been purchasing a lot of sealed wax as well as individual cards, both graded and ungraded, and am having a blast.

Is anyone else out here doing any sports card investing or ripping?

To try and relate this to Golf, I bought up a bunch of Tiger Woods "Rookie" Cards from the 2001 Upper Deck Golf Set, and have sent quite a few of them off to PSA to be graded.

View attachment 8989902

I have that card.

There have been some MASSIVE sales lately. The 1 of 1 Mike Trout Superfractor sold for almost $4 MILLION last year, and I believe the highest card sale ever happened just a couple weeks ago, when a Mint 9 version of Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps sold for almost $6 MILLION.

Honestly it's nuts. That Trout one hurts. That card just sold for $400K just two years prior.

Can you imagine if you sold it at that price, and then saw it go for $4 million? My goodness I would be inconsolable. 😕

I was pretty invested in the hobby 20 years ago, hockey mostly. Dad was pretty heavy into Gretzky cards for many, many years. Mailman used to be at our box every day with another envelope of two (sound familiar THP?)

I didn't realize that they were making a comeback; the extent of our collecting nowadays is the annual Tim Horton's hockey set. Of course, there's only one legitimate card shop within 6+ hours of home so access is limited.
Speaking of massive sales on single cards, and Gretz, his OPC Gem 10 I (1 of 2 to receive such a grade) just fetched over a million just a month ago:

I haven’t collected sports cards since I was a kid, but for some reason I did save all of my Magic the Gathering cards from my late teens/early 20s. My cousin, on the other hand, collected a bunch of sports cards. He was pretty upset last year when I looked through my cards, priced them out, and found that the rares I still had were worth about $1k, while his sports cards were worth almost nothing.

Not that I am aware of.

Honestly, I think COVID has a lot to do with it, but I also think these companies learned their lesson from the "Junk Wax" Era, where they printed WAYYY to many cards.

If you go to a Walmart or Target now, you would be hard-pressed to find ANYTHING valuable on the shelves. People camp out all day to catch a restock of cards to either open, or sell for a profit.

It is tough to say what will happen with cards when the Pandemic ends, but I am investing mostly in older players, as opposed to younger rookies, but at the end of the day it is not much different than gambling.

My coworker, an older retired guy who just works with us part time, has a Hank Aaron rookie. Ungraded, but he estimates it's a '7'. A '7' iteration just sold for $30,000 on eBay. I told him he needs to move it now as when a player dies is when their cards skyrocket...then they come back down to earth (saw that with Kobe last year).

I worked at a Card Shop in college...
The low numbers of the ‘89 Upper Deck Baseball were in the top right corner of unbroken boxes, I had a lot of fun selling Griffey rookies, before the crash from the strike.

I put together complete sets of ‘82 & ‘86 Topps Football that I sold to cover a bad craps table bender. I wish I still had those sets.

I have not bought anything in about 20 years but have quite a bit of cards. About 95% baseball and 5% golf. Have numerous of the TW rookie cards pictured in the OP that I pulled from packs. Also was lucky enough to pull a signed SP Tiger card. The majority of my baseball cards are from mid-70's to mid-80's. Unfortunately, a lot of the once good rookie cards I have are of roid boys (Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, etc.).

Are there any good Twitter accounts to follow or web pages to find good information on card values? I have a lot of newer and older cards and I'm just curious what they'd be worth.

Sorry if this was already mentioned.

Back