Recipe Exchange Thread

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
There used to be an old recipe Exchange Thread, but it seems to have been lost during the software upgrade, so I'm starting another one.

What are your favorite recipes THP? Let's get those faves posted!

Spaghetti Carbonara (based on Graham Kerr’s Smart Cooking recipe)

Ingredients:

1 lb spaghetti
3T olive oil with a dash of sesame oil (Kerr used extra light olive oil)
approximately 1 lb ham or Canadian bacon
1 cup pine nuts
freshly ground salt (approx. ½ t) – to taste
freshly ground black pepper (approx. ½ t) – to taste
1-2 oz fresh chives
2 T fresh chopped parsley
½ to 1 C fresh grated parmesan cheese
3-6 sun-dried tomato halves
4-6 eggs

NOTES:
approximately 1 lb ham
(he used Canadian bacon – we tend to make this with leftover ham): dice ham into small pieces – enough to give 3-4 cups (I like more so I tend to add more)
1-2 oz fresh chives – chopped into small bits (we grow our own in the summer, and I tend to put way more in when it’s free 😉 )
2 T fresh chopped parsley – sometimes we use dried (or not at all)
½ to 1 C fresh grated parmesan cheese – I tend to use more because the eggs & cheese coats the noodles
3-6 sun-dried tomato halves, finely chopped (Kerr said he grinds them with a coffee grinder or mini mill. I have an ulu from Alaska that I use & it gets them chopped into very tiny bits)
My wife loves the taste of the sun-dried tomatoes, so over the years I’ve been adding more.

HOW TO COOK:
  • Boil the pasta.
  • At the same time, sauté the ham and pine nuts in a large pan in the heated oil – until some are getting lightly brown. I don’t use a nonstick pan for this, because I want the ham & nuts to brown & stick, and I scrape the residue into the final mix – a lot of the flavor comes from this action. If the ham/pine nuts are getting too brown (while you’re waiting for the pasta to cook), pull the pan off the burner.
  • Beat the eggs lightly. Add the salt, pepper, chives, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes to the eggs.
  • Drain the noodles, then put them back into the pot. Add the ham & pine nuts & any scrapings from the saute pan. Add the egg mixture & cheese, and stir it all together – mix well to get the egg/cheese mix coating each noodle strand. The heat from the noodles & ham cooks the eggs.
  • Add fresh grated parmesan cheese, salt and/or pepper to taste.

My oldest son would eat the entire amount that this spaghetti carbonara recipe makes - he can really put it away!
I never had a spaghetti carbonara dish before I tried making this recipe, so I'm biased. Since then, the only other version I've tried is from Paida, and I love it! But ...I still prefer this version. The toasted pine nuts & sun dried tomatoes give it a great taste

Italian beef. It's fantastic

0813CAB2-1181-4AFC-9EA4-10538C2D9AA7.jpeg

Ripped this one from a sports bar in Florida, but made it better.

Chicken Charlie

Chicken Breasts - halved if thick and/or pound out to make flatter.
Italian Dressing
Sweet Onions - 2 medium sized
Mushrooms - 1 container
Worcestershire Sauce -
White Wine- can sub chicken stock
Butter 1-2 Tablespoons
Provolone cheese - or any other good, melty cheese

Marinate the pounded/halved chicken breasts for 24 hours

Start by slicing onions and mushrooms thin-ish. Faster cooking and sits on chicken better
Add butter to hot pan and some olive oil. Eyeball it
Add in onions. sauté for a few minutes until they begin to turn translucent.
Add mushrooms and give it another five minutes or so. Water should start coming out of mushrooms.
Reduce heat to medium low, add 1 cup-ish white wine and 5-10 good dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
Put on lid and let this reduce. When liquid runs low, add more wine and Worcestershire sauce.
You're looking to get a French onion soupish texture/look with sludgy liquid.
This all takes about 30 minutes.

Grill chicken breasts until just done.
Spoon on the sautéed onions and mushrooms on top of each chicken breast.
Put a slice or two of cheese on each breast, then put on lid and give it another 5 minutes to melt cheese.
Remove with a spatula from grill.

Really good, and really simple to make.

Tuscan shrimp and scallops has become one of our favorite dishes
20201224_190031.jpg

Ingredients and instructions
20210101_202731.jpg
Screenshot_20210101-202714_Chrome.jpg

Portabella stuffed with Italian sausage w basil cream sauce

easy and excellent

can do in air fryer, oven or smoker

0409FC30-16BD-4A36-882C-BD9507B2E069.jpeg2E859CF0-E1EE-4040-B3A6-C818B17D21E5.jpeg653781DC-D0B7-4CDB-8C96-4D8D4000AF53.jpeg

Super Bowl Recipe 1

Mississippi Beef.

I substitute dry onion soup mix for the au jus. I also add about ~1/2 cup of the vinegar from the peppers and add a lot more peppers, like 12-15. It is super simple, but takes 8 hrs to cook

Super Bowl Recipe 2

Chili Recipe

Ingrediants
2 -3 pound tritip
1 pound ground beef
2 - 14.5 ounce can beef broth
14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1 can crushed tomatoe
1 can dice tomatoes
1 Large Onion
2-3 cloves garlic

Spice Mix 1
1 tablespoon American Paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon beef granules
1 teaspoon chicken granules
1/2 teaspoon Cali Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (Optional. Depends on audiance. I usually skip the seasoning salt in spice mix 2 and 3 if cooking for a group)
2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 tablespoon New Mexico Chili Powder

Spice Mix 2
3 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (Optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons Ancho Chili Powder
1 1/2 tablespoon Chili Powder
1 tablespoon New Mexico Chili Powder
1/4 Green New Mexico Chili Powder (Optional)

3rd spices
2 tablespoon Chili Powder
1 tablespoon Cumin
1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 tablespoon onion powder

Instructions:
Brown meat and remove from pan
Dice onions and saute for 5 minutes or so.
Add Garlic
once cooked down add 1 can of beef broth and chicken broth
Add tomatoes
Add 1st spice mix

Cook minimum 2-3 hours on low at a very low simmer. Add remaining broth or water as necessary to keep from cooking down too much. With 30 minutes remaining until you are ready to eat add 2nd spice mix. 15 minutes prior to eating add 3rd spice mix.

I am pretty sure I have posted this before, but if you are looking for a healthy meatloaf alternative I highly recommend this recipe. I don't even really like meatloaf, and I LOVE this. I swapped marjoram for Italian seasoning because that's just a personal preference, but it's good either way.

I am pretty sure I have posted this before, but if you are looking for a healthy meatloaf alternative I highly recommend this recipe. I don't even really like meatloaf, and I LOVE this. I swapped marjoram for Italian seasoning because that's just a personal preference, but it's good either way.

I am almost POSITIVE you posted this a long time ago, and it has become a staple for me, and now for my wife. We probably make this 2-3 times a month. It really is delicious. Skinnytaste has a number of recipes that I really enjoy.

I am almost POSITIVE you posted this a long time ago, and it has become a staple for me, and now for my wife. We probably make this 2-3 times a month. It really is delicious. Skinnytaste has a number of recipes that I really enjoy.

Yeah, I am 99.9% sure I posted it a while back too, but figured I would just post it again, because like you said, it's THAT good.

I agree, she really does have a lot of good recipes. She's usually my go-to website when I'm looking for something new in the rotation.

Yeah, I am 99.9% sure I posted it a while back too, but figured I would just post it again, because like you said, it's THAT good.

I agree, she really does have a lot of good recipes. She's usually my go-to website when I'm looking for something new in the rotation.

Absolutely! We typically peruse her site before our weekly Sunday grocery store trip to see if there is anything new that catches our eye, and more often than not, we really enjoy what we make.

I cannot recommend this particular dish enough. I don't really like Lean Ground Turkey personally, but I think everything going on in this recipe masks the taste. I have also made it with 93/7 Lean Ground Beef as well, and it is equally as delicious.

This is a really easy and tasty dish and reheats really well. I just threw some chicken breast in the crockpot in the morning for the cooked chicken, but rotisserie would work just fine here too.

This is a really easy and tasty dish and reheats really well. I just threw some chicken breast in the crockpot in the morning for the cooked chicken, but rotisserie would work just fine here too.

This sounds very good, and simple enough to make! Perfect cold weather food.

Great comfort food. And it was silly easy to make with minimal prep work.
Looking at the recipe, did you feel like it could stand more vegetables?

Back