"closed at address "

Ah cool just wanted to see if you had a different experience. Had a terrible time last year with TM SIM Ti fairway woods where the face angle was very inconsistent - one 3 wood would sit closed, another perfectly square. Super annoying. I got worried that G425 might be having similar issues and started having flashbacks :ROFLMAO:

Ah cool just wanted to see if you had a different experience. Had a terrible time last year with TM SIM Ti fairway woods where the face angle was very inconsistent - one 3 wood would sit closed, another perfectly square. Super annoying. I got worried that G425 might be having similar issues and started having flashbacks :ROFLMAO:
Some of the guys that posted about the G425 driver say that the face is slightly closed at address to which I replied that I don't like a closed face driver. That said, I haven't seen in person the G425 but will in Florida in a month or so. Bottom line is that if it closed, it's history...will be looking elsewhere OR keep my G400 MAX

I had the 425 9 deg head and did not notice it as closed. Only hit a few 10.5 but I was in a lesson and not paying attention to the head as much. We were focused on shafts. But if you are sound sensitive, the 425 Max is not for you. I understand the Epic Max sounds better and is very forgiving - it's next on the list to try.

I had the 425 9 deg head and did not notice it as closed. Only hit a few 10.5 but I was in a lesson and not paying attention to the head as much. We were focused on shafts. But if you are sound sensitive, the 425 Max is not for you. I understand the Epic Max sounds better and is very forgiving - it's next on the list to try.
Do not care about sound if it performs.

Some of the guys that posted about the G425 driver say that the face is slightly closed at address to which I replied that I don't like a closed face driver. That said, I haven't seen in person the G425 but will in Florida in a month or so. Bottom line is that if it closed, it's history...will be looking elsewhere OR keep my G400 MAX

I found it to sit slightly closed, which is annoying, but ended up working out fine when I was testing. I was seeing slightly higher-than-ideal launch and spin, so would have lofted down to 8* anyways most likely. Once lofted down it sat perfectly square to my eye, and launch/spin were in a better window for me.

Performance-wise, after the adjustements it had higher ball speed and less spin than G400Max leading to better distance (about +10 yards carry for me). Forgiveness was still excellent. Distance-wise, I still don't think it can keep up with my current SIM or the new Callaway offerings (which had consistently higher ball speeds for me), but it's a lot closer now than when I was in the G400. The additional accuracy may be worth the small distance difference. Only other option I'm waiting to test is the Radspeed which I should hopefully be able to test this week.

I've played with worse sound - but it did not really add to performance over my G400.

Nike Sasquatch anybody? :ROFLMAO:

Not going to lie if I end up going G425 I may have to get earplugs for the driving range.

Nike Sasquatch anybody? :ROFLMAO:

Not going to lie if I end up going G425 I may have to get earplugs for the driving range.
It’s not the trashcan of the Nike Sasquatch 2. It just has a higher pitch than the G 400 Max

epic max sounded great to me. better than mav max.

It’s not the trashcan of the Nike Sasquatch 2. It just has a higher pitch than the G 400 Max

Not sure if you ever had this happen, but the impact sound of the G400 Max would occasionally make my ears ring after some hits. Probably more to do with the range balls being rocks than anything else, but man was it a sharp noise sometimes.

Not sure if you ever had this happen, but the impact sound of the G400 Max would occasionally make my ears ring after some hits. Probably more to do with the range balls being rocks than anything else, but man was it a sharp noise sometimes.

I think it's the range balls. My range uses Callaway Range Balls - not the greatest, but not terrible.

I think all of the drivers make incremental improvements ... As to Ping, the G400 Series is tough to beat. If you want incremental gains, then I guess the 410 and 425 may be in the battle for your bag with the Epic Max. My G400Max is probably an Epic Max with bad sound. So I may look at something different.

I think I saw Jason Day has the 425 in his bag. And then I saw Rod Pampling as I was leaving, and he had the 425 in his bag. Good guy. Funny.

So a lot of people are trying the Ping

Last edited:
It's release day!!!!!! I'm so excited

i finally got a chance to hit the g425 max today. the employee at pgatss gave me the alida rogue white 130msi 70 stiff to hit in it, 10.5 neutral with weight neutral.

first impression was that he had lofted it up. why? because it sat so closed at address. i looked at the adapter. nope, standard. yeah, not into the closed look.

i hit 10-15 shots. the best were good. spin in the 2k to 2,200 range. ball speed in the mid 140s. carry high 250, i think one or two were over 260. but i really struggled to find any consistency. it could have been a number of things, but ultimately i never found a groove.

i did like the spin profile a lot. that's something i need. but i missed left way more than i hit it straight or right.

and now for the elephant in the room: sound. i liked it. i found the sound to be way better than 400 max, not as aluminum-y. if anything, the sound was almost too consistent with different strikes, so i wasn't always sure where i missed on the face.

maybe a 10.5 lofted down would open the face enough, but based on looks at address alone i wouldn't be interested in this driver.

Last edited:
i finally got a chance to his the g425 max today. the employee at pgatss gave me the alida rogue white 130msi 70 stiff to hit in it, 10.5 neutral with weight neutral.

first impression was that he had lofted it up. why? because it sat so closed at address. i looked at the adapter. nope, standard. yeah, not into the closed look.

i hit 10-15 shots. the best were good. spin in the 2k to 2,200 range. ball speed in the mid 140s. carry high 250, i think one or two were over 260. but i really struggled to find any consistency. it could have been a number of things, but ultimately i never found a groove.

i did like the spin profile a lot. that's something i need. but i missed left way more than i hit it straight or right.

and now for the elephant in the room: sound. i liked it. i found the sound to be way better than 400 max, not as aluminum-y. if anything, the sound was almost too consistent with different strikes, so i wasn't always sure where i missed on the face.

maybe a 10.5 lofted down would open the face enough, but based on looks at address alone i wouldn't be interested in this driver.
The first thing I noticed about the G425 was that it was closed face.
I wore out the left side of the fairway as well.
IMHO, there are better new release options out there.

Sound and face closed, hear it all the time on the new Ping Max. I gotta go look and hear again.

First time around I said it was closed but now that I remember, I changed the adapter setting but I'm a lefty so it's the opposite. The shaft was a righty shaft so who knows what I really did that day. LOL

Last edited:
I miss left and absolutely hate seeing a closed face. When I was checking out the 425 Max a few weeks back I thought it looked really neutral. Maybe some appear more closed than others because of manufacturing tolerances?
1612470307512.jpeg

I miss left and absolutely hate seeing a closed face. When I was checking out the 425 Max a few weeks back I thought it looked really neutral. Maybe some appear more closed than others because of manufacturing tolerances?
View attachment 8991828

That looks perfect.

View attachment 8991828
Thats the Max?
Mine looks significantly more closed than that when the shaft is neutral. Hang on real quick and I will go measure the offset.

Thats the Max?
Mine looks significantly more closed than that when the shaft is neutral. Hang on real quick and I will go measure the offset.
Here is ours. Not the best angle as I am wrapping up for the day, but I can grab some more images (we have 3 heads) and measure a few of that helps people.

2DF5022B-C920-49D3-B13E-73333BE4E276.jpeg

Thats the Max?
Yeah, I was surprised that it looked so neutral. Not what I was expecting out of the max. But, could be a manufacturing tolerance based on other users feedback and the pics you posted.

Back