How much of a daredevil are you?

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What are some crazy things you've done?

Would you ride a 155 mph roller coaster?

I’ve always been an adrenaline junkie. I’ve parasailed, gone bungee diving, rode/raced dirt bikes, cliff dove, ridden downhill mountain biking, ridden a street bike at over 150 mph and driven a car 148 mph, etc.

I’ve gotten a little more risk averse as I’ve gotten older and my “No Fear” attitude has changed to “Let’s think about this for a minute”, but there’s no roller coaster I wouldn’t ride (maybe with the exception of the ones at county fairs that are assembled by transient tweakers!). If it’s at an amusement park I know it’s been well engineered, tested a million times and offers minimal risk, or their lawyers wouldn’t even let it be there.

Back in the day, I was a complete dare devil. There was nothing I feared doing as long as I had a some what of a chance of surviving the deed. Some of those deeds would be considered very unhealthy.

Heck, I've jump out of perfectly good airplanes, with a chute I didn't pack.

Would I ride a 150 mph roller coaster? Sure.

I used to be somewhat of a daredevil as a kid. There wasn't a dare I wouldn't take. I jumped out of a 20 foot tree to a pile of pine needles on a dare when I was 12. Unfortunately I miss judged the flexibility of the tree and missed the pile with my left foot and broke my ankle.

These days at 63....no, I wouldn't get on a 150 mph rollercoaster......I think. :sneaky:

Never was much of a daredevil, and decidedly less and less so as I get older. I've zip-lined in Costa Rica - once is enough. I've parasailed in Cancun - once is enough. I walked down a seedy alley at night in Washington D.C. - once is definitely enough.

The list of things I won't do is long indeed, but at the top are 1) skydiving - nope, 2) hot air ballon - no sir, 3) bungee jumping - no way, 4) rock climbing - not with a gun to my head...

No thanks. Not a roller coaster guy.

Hold my beer and watch this!! 😏

Roller Coasters are a sure yes...Everybody gets on, everybody gets off...A few may puke. Love crazy coasters.

If it’s at an amusement park I know it’s been well engineered, tested a million times and offers minimal risk, or their lawyers wouldn’t even let it be there.

Not a roller coaster, but there was an incident at Schlitterbahn water park in KC a few years ago that might make you rethink that.

That said, hell yeah, I'm all over that. Roller coasters are pretty much the only thing I'll ride at amusement parks any more. As long as it's not one of those spinning ones.

Nope. Rode a rollercoaster once in grade school to impress a girl. Not a tiny one a giant one that made me realize I don't need that type of thrill.

That said - I am a volunteer firefighter and going into a burning building doesn't phase me. Just weird I guess.

Heck yea I’d ride that rollercoaster! I’m not sure how much of a daredevil I am. I used to be a springboard diver, which came with its fair share of recklessness and overcoming fear. In addition to diving, I enjoy doing Tough Mudders and skiing/snowboarding, so there’s some daredevil in those activities.

Nope.

Never been one for the thrill seeking/extreme sports activities in life.

I’d give the coaster a go but at 41 my daredevil days are behind me.

Not much of a roller coaster fan, but I have rode a few of the good ones. I have been over 170mph on a motorcycle and 145mph in a car. Jumped off a 200' railroad trestle into the lake. Do I consider myself a dare devil? Not at all, more lucky and a bit stupid.

I like roller coasters, but hate the Middle East after Desert Storm, so I probably won't be making that trip. I will say, let a few thousand humans try this first as the trend for being highest, fastest, etc. can lead to trouble; e.g. the big water slide in KC that decapitated a poor kid due to poor design.

About 148mph on the bike on the parkway. In NJ

Though I still want to go bungee jumping and skydiving

I've driven my car around a Indianapolis Motor Speedway at 162 mph. Does that count?

I’ve always been an adrenaline junkie. I’ve parasailed, gone bungee diving, rode/raced dirt bikes, cliff dove, ridden downhill mountain biking, ridden a street bike at over 150 mph and driven a car 148 mph, etc.

I’ve gotten a little more risk averse as I’ve gotten older and my “No Fear” attitude has changed to “Let’s think about this for a minute”, but there’s no roller coaster I wouldn’t ride (maybe with the exception of the ones at county fairs that are assembled by transient tweakers!). If it’s at an amusement park I know it’s been well engineered, tested a million times and offers minimal risk, or their lawyers wouldn’t even let it be there.

Same here. But as far as risk assessment goes, I guess the permanent parks are better, but only because they are being taken care of by "resident tweakers" rather than transients! Think about it! There have been disasters at permanent parks as well. FWIW, I am a coaster! Love them! And the new ones are just fine by me. I would ride them any day.

Your greatest risk would be riding a coaster, back in the day, shortly after they were first designed. Those designers subjected riders to G forces that modern day fighter pilots don't experience! They were messing people up! Modern coaster designers understand that stuff and design accordingly. Straight ahead speed is NOT a problem!

The gas pedal when driving a golf cart isn’t always pressed to the floor when I ride, so no, I am not a daredevil.

The thought of that rollercoaster already gives me the sweats.

I love those fast roller coasters.

I am 100% adrenaline junkie. I've skydived and as you can see from my avatar, I have a sports bike that I like to ride around.

I was a "Free Range" child. Spent our days doing all kinds of Stupid stuff. I rode a skateboard (special type) over 50mph. with the cheapest set of pads and a helmet that probably would crack in a hail storm. Rode sleds down steep slopes next to a major highway. Joined the ACE to ride Coasters all over the country. A solo Surf session in 10-12' waves during a N'easter storm at a sketchy place with nobody around in November. Bungee'd, Zip lined, did some drag racing in the Chevelle, and all kinds of other things that crossed my mind as probably not such a good idea about half way through doing them. Still will ride any coaster at any time. I have a 10yo Niece who seems to have inherited my 'daredevil' streak. Already 2 broken wrists and a broken leg.

3 cool things i have done so far: parasailing, not really dangerous since you are over water. sky diving- a lot of fun and i would tell everyone to try it once. and the "stratosphere leap of faith" in vegas. that was easily the toughest one. jumping off a building with just a cord attached to you is not an easy thing. i told the guy to push me off and he said he could not....lol

this is not me but it shows the "ride" go to the 2min mark

Back