Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today JB joins the show to talk about the distance debate.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but we talk a bit about the new distance debate, Patrick Reed and more. This show has a lot going on and it is an episode you will not want to miss as JB Goes Off Course.

Episode 42 is here and Dan and his guest JB discuss the following topics.

The Distance Debate
Patrick Reed
Hamburgers vs Cheeseburgers
And so much more

Continue reading...

Oh yes, this one sounds awesome!

Oh goodness, got it Reed up for my morning duties.

Looking forward to this one during my run today.

Oh hamburgers vs. cheeseburgers.... there is only one answer. Interested to put on the headphones for this one!

Great conversation on this Friday morning, thanks guys!

If they are rolling back the distance, we need bifurcation. I can see so many ways that the game differs between pros and the majority of the normal golfing population. So I struggle to see why distance on tour should have such a large affect on companies, as well as the average golfer. When I'm out on a course, I don't see many golfers overpowering many, if any, holes. I see more shanks, duffs, and water balls than I do overpowering shots that take out most hazards. We need as much help as we can get, so that golf remains enjoyable, rather than a task. I golf to have fun, and that's the way I hope it stays for us mere mortals.

I'm with @Canadan on the ball searching aspect. I get 3 minutes, a hope and a prayer to find a ball in long tall grass. The pros get multiple sets of eyes helping them on any given wayward shot. Maybe if the pros didn't have that help searching, they wouldn't take some of the chances they take.

Hamburgers, I don’t like cheese on a burger as it ruins the taste to me, come to think of it it overpowers many foods in my opinion. Not saying I won’t eat anything with cheese but given the choice of with or without I’ll pass. I plan on reading the USGA report as I’ve heard sides from all different points so far an they all see something different in it. Is the USGA just throwing out solutions to problems to look proactive at this point since the ship has sailed in there opinion? With bifurcation does both men and womens games get affected at the same level if implemented? Seems like a deep rabbit hole.

My son only eats hamburgers. That was my first indicator that he is in fact not my son and is my brother-in-laws. 😁

Last edited:
@Canadan really enjoyed this weeks podcast. However I laughed way to hard at your arm chair dudes comment and your PC catch to that. Good way to start my day.

@Canadan really enjoyed this weeks podcast. However I laughed way to hard at your arm chair dudes comment and your PC catch to that. Good way to start my day.
Gotta respect that the ladies watch golf too!

About to go grocery shopping and pop this one on, cants wait!

will be listening this afternoon, butttt expecting for this to be fun and hot

Cheese on a burger is a must, how is it not?
usegolffacts is justine
I'll be honest I never followed Reed I did not know how he actually played, but after watching and looking at a bunch of stuff he has a really good approach game.
This type of stuff just fuels Reed's fire, this makes him hungry to win.
In regards to @JB saying guys need to play every single event, I stand behind that, I feel like if you have a tour card there should be a set amount of events you have to play in order to keep the card unless you have an injury/doctors note...
Enjoyed the listen, thanks!

I agree with the perspective that guys should have to play everywhere at least once in a three year span.

It gives people everywhere a chance to enjoy the best of the best.

ill be sure to give this one a good listen! Nothing more compelling right now in the golf world....

@Canadan what would be your pushcart of choice? ClicGear?

Agronomic. This is the second episode where radius of gyration was mentioned. No cheese needed on a burger.

I enjoyed the discussion as to the Distance Debate. I hate that many, many may be affected because a few hit the ball too far (at least in the eyes of the USGA. The subject of creativity in course design and set up as being more important than distance is something that I think should be examined and discussed.

I think it's good for the Tour that anyone in the field can win. I would think it would be great if Nesmith or Hubbard could go on to win this week.

I absolutely avoid riding carts at any opportunity. So happy and so is my back that my club allows for us to use our own push carts.

I hate winter too Dan. I have a few more years of work and then I will become a snowbird.

I own a ClicGear. It's beautiful. Have had it for a year or two

.....and still very much brand new hahahaha

What's next? The course is going to make you rent their clubs too?:ROFLMAO:

I agree with the perspective that guys should have to play everywhere at least once in a three year span.

It gives people everywhere a chance to enjoy the best of the best.

It also is good for the sponsors who put up the money to know that too.

What's next? The course is going to make you rent their clubs too?:ROFLMAO:
I actually presented it with the idea that they could charge a trail free per year of 150-200 bucks to use my own (because using a used push cart is gross, sorry not sorry). So that's somewhere between 15-20 rounds paid out. Basically, I wouldn't save much money if any.

The response was that some members walk an extreme number of rounds and it would be cost prohibitive to allow them to bring their own with a trail fee... Which I find impressive because my 50 rounds there last year was clawing at the tee sheet to get on (100% packed constantly). The reality? We have two outs during the offseason. One is a bump to social for substantially reduced fees, and one is an outright leave of absence, both lasting up to a year and do not require paying initiation to get back to full membership.

While I felt it unreasonable as a 20 year member to use those features because I wanted to support my club, I no longer feel that way. Screw the greed. I'll be using both over the next two years and then reconsidering my membership the following year. Greed is gross.

I agree a whole bunch with the pros having to find their own balls and for having an official with each group. @Canadan and @JB, this is one of the best of "Off Course." There is so much good stuff in it. It will definitely get another listen or two to really pay attention to the distance discussion.

I agree a whole bunch with the pros having to find their own balls and for having an official with each group. @Canadan and @JB, this is one of the best of "Off Course." There is so much good stuff in it. It will definitely get another listen or two to really pay attention to the distance discussion.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I got worried halfway through that I was ranting too much haha

I actually presented it with the idea that they could charge a trail free per year of 150-200 bucks to use my own (because using a used push cart is gross, sorry not sorry). So that's somewhere between 15-20 rounds paid out. Basically, I wouldn't save much money if any.

The response was that some members walk an extreme number of rounds and it would be cost prohibitive to allow them to bring their own with a trail fee... Which I find impressive because my 50 rounds there last year was clawing at the tee sheet to get on (100% packed constantly). The reality? We have two outs during the offseason. One is a bump to social for substantially reduced fees, and one is an outright leave of absence, both lasting up to a year and do not require paying initiation to get back to full membership.

While I felt it unreasonable as a 20 year member to use those features because I wanted to support my club, I no longer feel that way. Screw the greed. I'll be using both over the next two years and then reconsidering my membership the following year. Greed is gross.

I don't blame you one bit. Hopefully they figure it out.

I don't blame you one bit. Hopefully they figure it out.
It's not going to end well, I doubt.

Next I am going to pitch they use the profits from the push carts to build an indoor simulator setup / teaching center / bar.

No 🧂

Back