Nice writeup Dean. I think Srixon has something with Mainframe. These are a little beefy but look great in hand.

It is me or does the style on the back cavity look a little on the cheap side? Maybe it's just the camera angle in the home page article. Anyone got a pic of these in hand? Would like another look. Given the ZX5 and 7 are on the too thin looking side for me, the ZX4 has piqued my interest.
I genuinely think it is the way light hits the backside of the texture in photos. In hand they look pretty darn good. Perhaps during our live stream today, video does a better job of it

9EBD882D-1551-4DA7-AF66-2D7F2DFF6826.jpeg

Those look great, the blend of style and playability really seems to be there.

Really interesting release. I love the hollow body concept, and I played the Z355s for several years, and am glad to see Srixon getting back into that GI area again. I get the strong lofts, more distance while still getting the launch you need, but I'm not a big fan of it simply because it messes with wedge gapping so much for me. Still, I like the looks of a lot of the hollow bodies, have to see the whole set, and if they nailed the forged sound/feel they will definitely have my attention.

Nice writeup Dean. I think Srixon has something with Mainframe. These are a little beefy but look great in hand.

how beefy? Because a lot of the info I had talked about how it was more of a midsize package, which had me excited(still am). I'm actually curious how they look side by side to the T400's.

how beefy? Because a lot of the info I had talked about how it was more of a midsize package, which had me excited(still am). I'm actually curious how they look side by side to the T400's.

CE9D5C2E-D71C-421A-B636-71487001F0BC.jpeg

I genuinely think it is the way light hits the backside of the texture in photos. In hand they look pretty darn good. Perhaps during our live stream today, video does a better job of it

View attachment 8992406
Thanks for the pic. Looks better here. Kinda plain but classy at the same time.

Remember on the THP Showcase with Srixon when they were asked, “Why does the new ZU only go to 4 iron, when the U85 was offered all the way to 6 iron?”

They said they couldn’t really discuss it right now, the ZX4 is the answer, they didn’t need to because it’s a whole set of UT irons.

They are probably the most fun to hit out of all of the irons in the tech studio.
awesome notes on this! Eye for detail. I'd be curious why UT and not ZX4, ZX5, ZX7 combo? Similar to Another brand with an ultra forgiving offering

I bring T400 up because I ended up using that 4/5 as a utility-style club last year. I could see these finding a similar spot in the bag, although I'm intrigued about having them throughout. I

About an inch wide sole would you say ? I’ve been measuring a lot of GI and SGI irons lately and most hit that 1” wide sole mark.

Looks like 23.7mm or .933 inches on the 4i and a tad more on the PW:

srixon_irons.PNG

I guess I should further my discussion not that it matters but why it burns.
I had been looking for new irons, waited for a few releases and decided on a set and I am super happy with what I went with. On the flip side of that, I was looking for a hollow body, something that may be a little more playable. I talked about the B21 for awhile a know somethings didn't check the boxes with them but.. I know the HMB's had some things that also didn't check the boxes also. These are all different irons I know. I have been a srixon fan, really like their irons, love the v sole. I guess what burns is I would've like to have looked at these. I guess long story short, if what I'm getting doesn't work out for some reason I'll take a hard look at these and see what happens, I'm just not financially setup or wife approved to have 2 sets of irons to play. This release just has me honestly second guessing more than any other iron situation I've been in..

I know @Jman @JDax and a few others have tested these out and can offer feedback on the sound. After the Cleveland UHX, which is one of the better sounding hollow body long irons, I can safely say that to me, they nailed the sound.

Isn't this basically the iron the srixon is replacing? Honest question, is the main thing that they think they have a quality item and it will be better received as a Srixon product than a cleveland product? Can't argue with them as the Cleveland name only seems to really resonate with the consumers as a wedge, but maybe I am wrong.

Isn't this basically the iron the srixon is replacing? Honest question, is the main thing that they think they have a quality item and it will be better received as a Srixon product than a cleveland product? Can't argue with them as the Cleveland name only seems to really resonate with the consumers as a wedge, but maybe I am wrong.

Genuinely I don't believe so. I think Cleveland is still alive and well. In my opinion it is a Srixon growth area. A hole in the lineup so to speak that is no longer vacant. Similar to what DCB did for Apex and that line, ZX4 combines the golfer that wants a premium iron with a forgiveness level that wasn't previously available. I would expect the Cleveland lineup to be updated at some point based on previous release timing and while I have no information as of yet, do not think they would abandon the UHX class completely or they will remain in line, similar to CBX at the last release. Two different constructions and two different price points.

Hope that helps.

Great write up Dean. Looks and sound like these would produce a great looking and sounding and more forgiving alternative to the other models in the line.

Looks like 23.7mm or .933 inches on the 4i and a tad more on the PW:

View attachment 8992419
Good info there, thanks. Looks like they might have a very attractive topline, only 1mm wider that the 5 or 7, of course topline appearance also depends on how they shape it. And the sole width doesn't look that bad either, which in the long irons was a problem for me in the UHX. When I hit the UHX I loved the looks of the PW and 7-iron, but then hit the 4-iron and it was just hard to look down at.

Genuinely I don't believe so. I think Cleveland is still alive and well. In my opinion it is a Srixon growth area. A hole in the lineup so to speak that is no longer vacant. Similar to what DCB did for Apex and that line, ZX4 combines the golfer that wants a premium iron with a forgiveness level that wasn't previously available. I would expect the Cleveland lineup to be updated at some point based on previous release timing and while I have no information as of yet, do not think they would abandon the UHX class completely or they will remain in line, similar to CBX at the last release. Two different constructions and two different price points.

Hope that helps.
This is exactly who I was thinking of this morning, Callaway released 3 irons while srixon released 2 and I though where's the 3rd. Even a couple months ago there were hints about this zx4 but to me being naive I didn't continue wondering. And here it is.. While I understand not every OEM releases more than 1 or 2 or 3 irons or whatever I still thought something may be missing.

Genuinely I don't believe so. I think Cleveland is still alive and well. In my opinion it is a Srixon growth area. A hole in the lineup so to speak that is no longer vacant. Similar to what DCB did for Apex and that line .............
Yeah, or like Mizuno and their Hot Metal/Hot Metal Pro in the JPX line. Just filling out the line up by adding a high end GI set to the line.

Hope that helps.

Makes perfect sense and glad that Cleveland is going strong. Have always enjoyed that brand and only more so after my time with them in the desert.

In my opinion it is a Srixon growth area. A hole in the lineup so to speak that is no longer vacant. Similar to what DCB did for Apex and that line, ZX4 combines the golfer that wants a premium iron with a forgiveness level that wasn't previously available.
As a high-handicapper, I've been giving Callaway's Apex 21 DCB a close look. But I actually hit my current very-old-tech CB irons pretty well, from the 6i on up, so it may be a blended set, such as Callaway's "Sweet Spot" will work for me. Wondering: Any word on whether Srixon will do something similar with the ZX series? E.g.: ZX4 3i-5i, ZX5 6i-AW?

Makes perfect sense and glad that Cleveland is going strong. Have always enjoyed that brand and only more so after my time with them in the desert.

Man that was a fun weekend with Jamie Sadlowski.

Man that was a fun weekend with Jamie Sadlowski.

I was just telling people about playing with him and how a) far he hits it, but b) how he was so freaking cool. Wonder how many cars he dented at top golf....

Great writeup @ddec. I love seeing companies offer so many options in lines like this. Srixon's iron lineup is pretty fantastic this year.

Back