2021 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
TaylorMade first announced their TP5 and TP5x golf balls back in December 2016 as they geared up for the 2017 season. This ball line certainly generated plenty of attention as it was a five-piece construction instead of the three and four-piece balls that tend to find their way on tour. Since that day, they have been working on perfecting this golf ball, and today TaylorMade announce the 3rd generation of what they call the “most complete tour ball.” 

TM21-TP5-Golf-Ball.jpg

TaylorMade already had a respected product with the TP5 line, however they made some changes to tweak its performance in 2019. What they did that year was build upon the first generation ball by...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another nice write up this morning, has a test ever been done on seamless ball vs. a ball with seams to demonstrate the pros and cons or does the seamless come into play from player suggestions and is more of a confidence an comfort thing?

Good write up @ddec! The TP5X has been a ball I really enjoy playing over the last year or so. Does a good job around the green and flies really well off a full swing. I am interested in seeing if this version does feel a bit softer.

They need to do something to increase the spin on the x, hopefully the cover change will do that. Golf balls that historically I have always loved when I’m in form, but when I’m not, the low spin nature does more harm than good for me.

Nice write up. Will give these a try along with a few other 2021 ball options.

I have never tried the TP5/X. I tried some Project A balls and were severely disappointed in their durability. Guess I should give them another chance.

Another one of the balls I'll be trying this year. But at this rate, it won't be until June until I get back on the golf course. All this damn snow! Arrrgh!

Nice review, Dean! Looks like the white versions will be available March 5 and the yellow editions on April 9.

Really enjoyed the TP5 last season, curious to see how the new version performs. I wonder if guys like Rickie and Wolffe will still be playing the Pix this year? Obviously there was something Rahm didn't like about the ball.

My Mizuno 919 HM's seem to like the TP5. I'll be interested to check out the softer cover.

Nice write-up @ddec . This is my ball so despite the changes not necessarily being flashy, I'm excited. The effects they're taking about with the dimples changes are the exact flight characteristics I like for my game, so if it performs as advertised, sweet. (y). The TP5x changes are interesting. I get improving the feel a little since it's pretty firm, but changing the spin profile I'm not sure about. It's very good at what it does, so why make it closer to your other offering in that regard? Will be interesting to try them out.

Seems silly that the pix is 2 dollars more a box..

That being said I want try this ball.

Seems silly that the pix is 2 dollars more a box..

I didn't realize that. Interesting. Can't believe I never heard anyone mention it before now.

I didn't realize that. Interesting. Can't believe I never heard anyone mention it before now.

New thing. They did not do that before.

due to a deal i couldn't resist, i finally got around to giving the 2019 tp5 a try and have liked it. not sure if it'll happen soon, but i'll probably try these sometime especially if the hype increases.

The TP5/TP5x line has always performed really well for me and I look forward to trying the new series. Great writeup with really good information Dean!

I will likely grab some TP5 in yellow. I have never played a yellow ball but why not. I did play the pix 2.0 and liked that.

It is crazy how much dimple pattern, amount, and depth change the ball so much.

Interesting results from the test by the boys up north. TP5 very similar, TP5X about 300 more revs from mid irons through partial wedge. Still launching high, but with more spin. Could easily hear the sound difference between the 19 and 21 5X. I'd have to listen again for the 19 to 21 on the 5. Hope it's a little better in the way people like though.

Driver data got a little strike biased from my perspective. Not reading anything into that.

Last edited:
Cool thing is if you played the 5, you can just buy the 2019s... Doesn't like there's anything in the new model there except maybe with the x getting closer in performance you'd prefer that.

Cool thing is if you played the 5, you can just buy the 2019s... Doesn't like there's anything in the new model there except maybe with the x getting closer in performance you'd prefer that.
thats true, TP5 seems to be unchanged (numbers wise) but the tp5x had great improvement in irons/wedge spin.

Did anyone see that picture of a TP5x cover on social the other day? Was trying to find it again to hopefully get some details, but can't remember where.

20210305_101832.jpg

Let's do this.

Interesting results from the test by the boys up north. TP5 very similar, TP5X about 300 more revs from mid irons through partial wedge. Still launching high, but with more spin. Could easily hear the sound difference between the 19 and 21 5X. I'd have to listen again for the 19 to 21 on the 5. Hope it's a little better in the way people like though.

Driver data got a little strike biased from my perspective. Not reading anything into that.
The difference for the TP5, which cannot be determined from their testing, is the wind affect due to the change in dimples. I was borderline too high spin with this ball in the wind and hoping this change makes it ideal for me.

Back