Cold weather golf.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What’s the coldest temps you have played in. I’m sure some of you northern members have pushed the limits.

Coldest I have teed off in was -10 C (14 F). Course closed for the season the next day to save the grass which makes plenty of sense because we would just keep going out. One thing about living up here is that you have to be willing to go play outside when it's cold (within reason), else you're stuck inside for more than half the year!

Low teens? Something like that. Had an itch that had to be scratched last winter. I've golfed plenty at right around the freezing mark, but that was particularly cold, and I lost a couple balls in the snow. This time of year ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I have golfed at 32 before but prefer it is 40 or above with no wind.

I have played golf here in every month of the year except for February. Granted the December and January rounds have been played in relatively warm weather. I have played numerous late October and November rounds in the 30s.

This years rule for the kids is 37 and above, sooooo 37.

I think mid-20s is the coldest I've played in...a couple December's back.

Although I've played in upper-30s, with winds blowing 15-20, and snow that absolutely felt colder hahaha

Back in the day.....I would play every January 1st if a course was open....In CT. Played often when it was below 32 and snow on ground here and there.

mid 30's, sunny, no wind and without the latter 2, at that temperature, I'm out.

I've teed off when it was in the low 30's. And whined about it for the first 8-9 holes until it warmed up. :LOL: Any colder than that and I'll be at home in my robe and slippers with a nice hot cup of coffee.

I've played where the round started in mid 30's F. Not really fun.

20 years ago when I lived in the Dallas area, I would play when it was in the upper 30s with sun. Getting older and creakier has cured that insanity. Now, I'll go out if the course is dry, sunny, no wind, and the temp is 50 or above.

Don’t think I’ve ever played in the teens, but I’ve gone out sub-30 (not on the scorecard!).

I teed off Saturday in 37 degrees, sun and no wind. It was 45 when we finished. This was terrific and no hardship whatever. Same conditions without Sun and with Wind wind would be unbearable. Sun and wind are huge factors

A few years ago I drove down to Lewiston Idaho and played in the middle of January. It was 15 degrees and all the ponds were frozen, but no snow. So on one dog leg right par 4, I hit the drive right at the green "over" the pond. Bouncing on the ice sounded funny, but the ball ended up on the green and I made birdie.

About 40 is my limit. When it’s that cold I’ll usually choose hockey over golf

Wind chills in the single digits on a few occassions. A few rounds in freezing rain, and snow flurries. Icy, frosted fairways, and greens.

Being the born and bread mojave desert rat that I am, below freezing golf is not really in my wheel house.

Definitely in the 20’s. We play when there is no snow on the ground . Generally our club sends carts out through November. We have cart covers and heaters. Early and late in the year cart covers and heaters make just about any temperature playable. We even use them for temperatures in the 40’s , particularly if its windy. Really make a difference.

This thread is quite timely.

There won’t be much outdoor activity in central Yukon for awhile... these temps are in Celsius.

51CFD211-166E-4CFE-ADA5-5FDF69281E4B.jpeg

I live in Canada and even I can't wrap my head around minus 40.

To the OP, we played two holes a couple of years ago in Alabama at 30F. I would not normally try that, but we were on the last day of a 5 day trip and since the course wasn't closed it was give it a go or lose the cost. We broke several tees on the first hole, bounced balls off of the bunkers and the green. The second hole wasn't much different so we called it quits.

I live in Canada and even I can't wrap my head around minus 40.

To the OP, we played two holes a couple of years ago in Alabama at 30F. I would not normally try that, but we were on the last day of a 5 day trip and since the course wasn't closed it was give it a go or lose the cost. We broke several tees on the first hole, bounced balls off of the bunkers and the green. The second hole wasn't much different so we called it quits.
That's a big problem we have up here in CO, you can't get a tee in the ground with a hammer. I need to buy some of those that sit up on top of the turf for cold weather so I don't break all my tees and my palms.

This year, I've played in the mid-high 20s. Coldest round ever was probably about 15 with light snow. Not supposed to get back above 0 here until Sunday, so winter golf seems to be done for the year, unfortunately.

That's a big problem we have up here in CO, you can't get a tee in the ground with a hammer. I need to buy some of those that sit up on top of the turf for cold weather so I don't break all my tees and my palms.
I remember somebody in one of the cold weather threads saying they brought a cordless drill out with them to get their tees in the ground. I mean, I get it, but if I have to use a drill to get my tee in the ground it's too freaking cold for golf! 🥶

Back