The Official Banter Away Thread

Our high temps are over 100°F pretty much every day from early/mid-May (depending on the year) until at least late September. Last year, our first day over 100° was April 25th, and our last was October 14th. In that entire 172 day stretch, there were a total of 37 days we didn't break 100 degrees. The lowest daytime high in that stretch was 83°, and the highest was 122° (on July 31st). From July 1 to September 7, our lowest nighttime low temperature was 81 degrees.

I'm ready for it to cool down by the end of summer - you do eventually get a little tired of perpetually drowning in sweat and getting burned any time you touch anything metal - but the first morning I walk outside and feel the slightest chill, I'm already counting the days until the hot weather comes back! I'll gladly endure six months of heat rather than even one month of icy cold. 🥶

1000% with you on the heat over cold.

I can get used to 90/90 days. I cannot get used to extended subfreezing temps.
90/90 would probably be miserable for me. Our humidity is usually single digits during most of that hot streak (there really is something to the "dry heat" thing!). I couldn't tolerate those temps if the humidity was high too. I'd still take it over sub-freezing, though!

Our high temps are over 100°F (38°C) pretty much every day from early/mid-May (depending on the year) until at least late September. Last year, our first day over 100° was April 25th, and our last was October 14th. In that entire 172 day stretch, there were a total of 37 days we didn't break 100 degrees. The lowest daytime high in that stretch was 83°, and the highest was 122° (on July 31st). From July 1 to September 7, our lowest nighttime low temperature was 81 degrees (27°C).

I'm ready for it to cool down by the end of summer - you do eventually get a little tired of perpetually drowning in sweat and getting burned any time you touch anything metal - but the first morning I walk outside and feel the slightest chill, I'm already counting the days until the hot weather comes back! I'll gladly endure six months of heat rather than even one month of icy cold. 🥶
Yeah, that’s just too hot for me! At least with the cold you can bundle up to get warm...

90/90 would probably be miserable for me. Our humidity is usually single digits during most of that hot streak (there really is something to the "dry heat" thing!). I couldn't tolerate those temps if the humidity was high too. I'd still take it over sub-freezing, though!

I worked in Houston one summer during college. I drove a 1966 Rambler without air conditioning. I never would have thought I would have acclimated, but I did. It was 68 one morning and I thought I was going to freeze. Windows rrolled up, heater (technically, the "Weather Eye") on high for my commute.

Trying to eat blueberries with a fork using my left hand is quite the challenge.

If you get desperate, a little honey will keep them on the fork . . . .

ice cream is easier. Just saying.

Too cold for ice cream. The blueberries were my holdover until it's "acceptable" to eat my left over beef stew from last night. I am kind of on a beef stew kick, I make it pretty much every other week now. This time I added some red wine, so good!

ugh, schools started 2 hours late, then cancelled midday giving 60 minutes to rush back through sleet and ice along with every other patent to pick up kids. this is going to be a cluster.

I've left the 58* out of the bag the last two rounds. I haven't missed it and short game play has improved a good deal.

I've left the 58* out of the bag the last two rounds. I haven't missed it and short game play has improved a good deal.

Genuinely interested in why you think that's happened.

Really? My 58° PM Grind is probably the last club I'd ever take out of my bag, that thing is like a magic wand. What has the change been in your short game?

Interesting. I can't imagine life without my 60 PM Grind.
But sometimes loft isn't used correctly by us hacks...what do you think the reason is?

The footage from the Fort Worth highway ice accident is shocking.

Genuinely interested in why you think that's happened.
Really? My 58° PM Grind is probably the last club I'd ever take out of my bag, that thing is like a magic wand. What has the change been in your short game?
Interesting. I can't imagine life without my 60 PM Grind.
But sometimes loft isn't used correctly by us hacks...what do you think the reason is?
I'm really not sure yet. Could be user variance/user suck. Could be the grind on my 58* isn't optimal for me.

@Junkyard is your employer trying to get you to quit? Are they that clueless?

You should drop a brochure for a new pick'em up truck on your bosses desk with a sticky note on it denoting the color you want. Let them know in a subtle not so subtle way that you expect better treatment and a new truck like the new guy.

And maybe consider stop giving so much of your free time to your employer that is showing that they aren't appreciating it as much as they did.:unsure:

This is not a rant, but rather a banter. I apologize in advance if it comes across as a rant; that is not my intention.

I had my suspicions, but I received some news today at work that has me confused to say the least. To be fair, I can honestly say that the company I work for has been more than fair to me but on the flip side they also get more than an honest day's work the majority of the time. I have been there for 14 years this month. I have used my own vehicle, and am reimbursed mileage. I purchased a new truck back in October and have already accumulated roughly 10,000 kms in a short 4 months strictly for work purposes.

They hired a new recruit who started last Monday with the intention of having him do the same job as me, only for a different territory. I met him for the first time yesterday, and noticed that he drove a small four-door car. In the service/support role, I thought to myself how he was going to fit a six-foot stepladder in said car. I found out from a co-worker today how that was going to be accomplished: the company has purchased a brand new pickup truck for him to drive. This could have been negotiated as part of his compensation package, his salary could be adjusted to reflect this, I'm not privy to that information.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. I am taking the advice of a close friend who pointed out that they are probably looking at the steps necessary to expand the business, and as a result are not focused on the people and resources that got them there. Once things settle down my hope would be that any "corrections" necessary would be taken. I just found it quite interesting that such a substantial decision would be made so quickly; the normal MO for the company is to make most decisions reactionary as opposed to proactively. Maybe it's a sign of things to come, I just don't know.
They could easily be assuming you are happy with the current situation. Perhaps a quick convo to talk and inform them you'd prefer not to drive your own vehicle, have been doing it for (insert reason) and explain that you'd rather have a company vehicle, if possible.

One clip from a passer-by in the opposite lanes showed a white pickup blasted from behind and flipped up into the air by an out-of-control tractor trailer. Scary stuff, thinking what may have happened to the occupants.

One clip from a passer-by in the opposite lanes showed a white pickup blasted from behind and flipped up into the air by an out-of-control tractor trailer. Scary stuff, thinking what may have happened to the occupants.
5 dead was what I saw last.

Thats such a bad traffic spot on 35 also. That area with the construction is an accident waiting to happen

Back