Shaft Manufacturer You Gravitate Towards?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have had threads like this on clubs in the past, but wanted to find out if there are certain shaft companies you gravitate towards as well.

UST Mamiya.

Well JB, it's all your fault I'm in love with UST in my irons! 🤣🤣
For my driver I'm kinda digging the MCI Tensei at the moment, of course the qualifier in that is I haven't had access to many of the different options available.😔

I play mostly Project X and True Temper.

I do like KBS and have their shafts in my wedges but the Project X LZ is one of my favorite iron shafts (wish they would come down in price) and the Hzrdus line-up for the woods is perfect for my aggressive tempo and budget.

I never once thought about shaft companies before joining THP. Now I want a station in my garage where I can switch out shafts! The first club I bought with the shaft in mind was a new to me Mavrik Max driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft and my dispersion tightened ridiculously compared to my previous driver. Because of that, I generally look to Project X first when I have a shaft ponder.

Wedges & Irons - UST
Driver, woods & Hybrid - Project X (TT) & UST
Putter - Callaway / Stroke Lab

PX/TT. Good people there, and I like supporting those types of places.

Not to say other companies don't, but I just haven't had much experience with them!

umm... Is all the shafts a good answer.. Lets go through what I currently have in my bag... I would say the only shaft company I have never played is Modus..

Driver - Fuji - Previously Project X
3 wood - Project X
7 wood - Fuji
utility - Fuji - Previously had a KBS
iron - KBS $ tapers - looking very hard at the new project X or going back to TT AMTs I had before this set.
wedges - TT - previously KBS.
putter - KBS

Project x and true temper for irons, but Aldila for driver.

UST Mamiya is often one I look to first when I just want to try something, but I don't have a problem going elsewhere on the recommendation of a fitter. My current irons are Steelfiber I95s, and they work great, but without the fitter recommending that shaft I would have gone with Recoils.

PX HZRDUS line for Driver (yellow smoke) and FW. Looking to try a PX EvenFlowF Riptide CB in my driver. Also have a fondness for Fujikura Atmos Have a Blue TS 70 in my 4wd.
Hybrids..... MRC ( Tensei Blue currently, but haven't experimented much here)
Irons... AeroTech Steel Fiber. UST Mimaya Recoil second. ( I'm getting old)
Wedges.. KBS

Used to be a big fujukura fan. Just loved the feel of them. Owned most of the evolution series shafts.
Lately been in a major ust kick though. That damn helium is so good.

Accra, TPT - both well known!:LOL: and Nippon in 50-60 lofts.

TPT - Driver
TPT - 3 wd
Other Fwy/Hybrids - Accra FX 2.0 200 Series
Irons - Accra Constant Weight 95
Wedges - Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 and 125

Last edited:
Project X for me. I really enjoy their shafts. I am a huge fan of the Evenflow line. I also really like the LZ for an iron shaft.

Last edited:
Pretty balanced.

A large part of the reason I am trying to learn some basic club building is to make some of the ustmamiya offerings more accessible.

Project X and UST are my preferences, I've played others and am currently playing others. However, given the choice is between them.

Not particularly. I went from px in my old apex to nippon in the p790, but i wasn't fit for either of those.

Was fit to a KK driver Shaft but after winning UST linq shaft that was my shaft for last season until I couldnt keep it under control.

1. UST Mamiya
2. Project X
3. True temper
4. Adilla
5. Fujikura

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of trying a lot of different shafts, but I do like the Project X shafts I have in my clubs (Evenflow Riptide in driver and 5W, Catalyst 65 in 5H).

At the moment
Driver: Graphite Design
Woods: MCI Diamana
Irons: Nippon
Wedges: Project X

For me its UST Mamiya. Their quality is fantastic, and their performance is spot on. They have really mastered the art of graphite designed shafts, retaining feel even in their more stiff and high torque options.

True Temper/Project X.
True Temper steel shafts have given such a high comfort level.
2020 I really started to lock in some graphite shafts for the the top part of my bag and Project X really fit well.

UST Mamiya for woods & True Temper Project X for irons (y)

UST Mamiya and Nippon have my attention, at the moment.

Back