I got Paired with a 12 Year Old Kid

Mikey Lawless

Reaction score
Handicap
Ha!
Today, I just showed up at a local golf course to see if they could work me in. It wasn't busy. I reckon a lot of folks had Valentine's Day commitments. About the same time as I checked in, this kid was also checking in as a single. So, they paired us up.
What a delight it was playing with him. He was a good player. Sure he was not perfect. Neither am I. Not by a damn site!
After a few holes, I noticed he hit trees pretty frequently. But instead of getting angry about it, he laughed! "I'm in the trees a lot today!" He always had a nice recovery shot.
His attitude was infectious. I was not hitting well due to overall stiffness from putting up new drywall on one of the bedroom ceilings yesterday. (Roof leak). We both finished strong with smiles on our faces.
After we holed out the last putt, he says, "It was a pleasure playing with you sir!" I said, "It was truly my pleasure playing with you. I'll play with you anytime"
It showed me that there is hope for the future!

Always good to play with a good attitude. Even better that it was a younger player today

At least it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. :)

Awesome story, great post 👍

Such a wonderful experience. That’s a nice young man.

I’ve played with several that young. It’s usually a great experience. I offer him a cigar...

just kidding there.

The only time I’ve had issues are playing with the 12 year old that mimics his/her favorite player. It’s like drive, chip and putt finals at Augusta painful.

Sounds like someone taught him well. Nice to see he has some manners too.

Proof yet again that golf can bring out the best in people

I absolutely LOVE stories like this.

...and that we participate in a pastime that not only connects the generations, but teaches youths how to act in an age full of little ****heads with low levels of respect.

Thank you for sharing!

I’ve played with several that young. It’s usually a great experience. I offer him a cigar...
just kidding there.

I'll keep that in mind for next time!
He did ask one question that made me laugh a bit. This was after the first half and he was opening up a bit more. "So, how old are you? Are you about 75?"

I shoulda thought to get his parents contact info. Woulda been nice to let 'em know what a great kid they had, as well as to arrange to play again.

Thanks for all the good comments people. I'm still smiling. It was a great day.

Nice story! I’ve been paired with a couple kids even younger than that before. Was a blast. Kids can learn a lot on the golf course!

Cool post, stories like that are great to hear.

Great stuff! Awesome to hear about experiences like that. Love that his attitude stood out to you and was infectious. Hope it has the same effect on his peers.

This is great. Wonderful story. Love a 12 year old going out as a single.

The good attitude is key. I’ve seen all sorts, even with my own kids. My oldest is terrible, doesn’t care, and lives for those 3-4 shots a round. I’m sure @Sean would vouch for his good attitude, quick pace, and him being not so great golf.

My middle son needs to learn to compete without losing his cool. He’s been in his coaches doghouse a few times. In fact hole 18 of his state qualifier, was a 490 yard uphill par 4 and he needed to make birdie to have a chance. I see him tee off and heard him say the f word. I was sitting right next to his coach 300+ yards from the tee box.

His ball splits the FW so his coach asked if it was him, I said I thought so, but didn’t make much sense as he murdered it and it went dead straight.

So I’m talking to him after and he said he did but what we didn’t hear was the “yeah” after it. He knew he needed it, pounded it, and was fired up. I said cool, next time THINK it. He made the birdie after a great second and nailed a 15 footer. Ended up missing the cut by one, but I’m getting off subject.

I’ve seen a lot of HS kids golf and some have great attitudes and some are chucking their clubs after every bad shot.

His coach won’t put up with it, so I’m sure there’ll be more said to start next year.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Well that is a great post of the day. Kudos to you for being open minded and to him for being a great playing partner. If rather play like that then with a guy my age that lacks class and sincerity.

That's an awesome story and hopefully more common than we hear. Maybe mention him to the clubhouse staff? Perhaps they know his parents and could pass along that they're doing a fine job raising a gentleman. I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

Glad you had a great time.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Great share!!!

Love to read this! The game will grow positively with players like him!

What a great story to read at the end of the day. Makes me smile knowing that there are still good kids on the golf course. Cheers to you for not scoffing at playing with someone 63 years your junior. I mean, at least according to his math!

Back