The Official Banter Away Thread

Yup. It all depends on the wind and if the lake is frozen. It the wind is even slightly out of the north and the lake isnt frozen, we will get absolutely dumped on. Ironically, if the lake is frozen (as much of it is now) its just bitterly cold and only a little snow. That being said I feel like weve had snow on the ground here for nearly 2 -2 1/2 months.

Also, the further east you live near the lake in NE Ohio, the more gets dumped on you. Much like Buffalo. The wind blows west to east and clips the lake. This is why I live west and south of the city lol

Lake effect snow is one of the more fascinating things about weather in the winter.

In addition to snow, the lake effect brings an abundance of cloudy weather during the winter. Not surprisingly, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are among the cities that receive the least amount of sunshine in the winter.

No doubt and Buffalo gets something like 110 inches of snow each winter and those states east/south of the Great Lakes are some of the couldiest in the country. My good friend moved to Michigan for work 32 years ago and he laments how many cloudy days they get summer and winter compared to Minnesota where he grew up.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.34.06 AM.png

Last edited:
We were duped, it's apparently more common than we were told. I have been down a rabbit hole today, this happens at least once a year here.

Nothing like having warm air aloft causing the snow to change to rain and the cold air trapped below freezing the rain on contact. Ice storms are nasty.

No doubt and Buffalo gets something like 110 inches of snow per winter and along with other states east/south of the Great Lakes, are some of the couldiest states in the country. My good friend moved to Michigan for work 32 years ago and he laments how many cloudy days they get summer and winter compared to Minnesota where he grew up.

View attachment 8993516
Wow, @Canadan is right. Ohio does do well in rankings :ROFLMAO:

No doubt and Buffalo gets something like 110 inches of snow per winter and along with other states east/south of the Great Lakes, are some of the couldiest states in the country. My good friend moved to Michigan for work 32 years ago and he laments how many cloudy days they get summer and winter compared to Minnesota where he grew up.

View attachment 8993516
Looked it up Buffalo gets approximately 85 inches of snow annually. I golfed up to and including some days in January this season. Dont know what the total snowfall has been this year but i have only had to use my snowblower a couple times this year. The last snowstorm that hit the Northeast missed us. I think are supposed to get something tonight though. So far a pretty mild easy winter for us. The problem is when we get hit we really get hit. Thats when you hear about us on TV lol. The way i look at it we are in mid February and we are getting closer to spring. Hopefully we have a mild March so we can start to get some rounds in but you never know. Cant wait.

Wow, @Canadan is right. Ohio does do well in rankings :ROFLMAO:
Glad to see Pure Michigan representing as well :rolleyes:, 3-1 proves Ohio is still worse than Michigan though haha

They’re calling for more snow these next 2 days here, than I have ever experienced in my life.

I am excited to see how pretty it will be while snowing.

But I’m like really ready to move somewhere coastal.

On our home page, we have a moving featured image today. I think I kind of like that.

random human: Can you combine these files together for me?
me: send me the data and I am happy to see what I can do.

//time passes

random human: I got the data pulled together, can you do a summary?
me: .... send me the data and I am happy to see what I can do.

I look forward to round three in about an hour.

I'm not gonna lie, this thread has become downright depressing with all this talk of winter. Could we please get back to something else :)

I'm not gonna lie, this thread has become downright depressing with all this talk of winter. Could we please get back to something else :)

Two days until pitchers and catchers report!
There, I changed the subject from winter to spring.

I hear Vegas in April should bring enough sun to forget about the sloppy Ohio conditions that will exist from now until June!

Day off today, weather finally turned, so where did I get to go?

Up on the roof to un-clog the vents for the house that had frozen over.
Why do this you ask?
So your toilet can stop drawing air from the bathtub every time it flushes lol.

#CanadianWinterChores

My brother and sister-in-law who live in Michigan came out to Vegas a few years ago in February for a vacation. We met them over there and I asked what the occasion was for the vacation. My brother in law said "We just wanted to see the sun, we haven't seen it in about four months!"

The ice has started to fall again.
speaking of ice......apparently lake erie and the cuyahoga river are so frozen, this is possible. Or this guy has a death wish. One or the other. Maybe both.

Maybe its @Canadan orrrrrrr @cbaker2882

The Cuyahoga: Fire and Ice.

speaking of ice......apparently lake erie and the cuyahoga river are so frozen, this is possible. Or this guy has a death wish. One or the other. Maybe both.

Portage lakes is ready for some broomball on the lake - they have had games all weekend.

I thought this was so funny I had to post and give everyone a laugh.

I do not have that much of a desire to get hypothermia as the ice breaks.

Hard pass.

Now this is interesting: The Ottawa/Toronto NHL game is blacked out on regular TSN due to the regional restrictions. But it is available on TSN 4K.

I guess the theory is I'm paying extra for the 4K channels so in Gary Bettman's eyes I'm still not getting it for free.

I'm also sorry for asking for the depressing weather talk to stop. It's THP, it's the "banter away" thread. I have no right to ask you to censor your conversations. Carry on.

Back