Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Just got an email that my Epic Max driver is inbound. Looking forward to hitting it again not on the simulator....but probably not this weekend with the weather we’re meant to be coping in Sydney.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with you on Xander creating a buzz with his driver... I hate to sound snarky, but the only thing buzzing around him lately has been his inability to avoid the bridesmaid rep, and finish on Sundays.
The guys who create buzz are DJ, Bryson, JT and very recently Spieth ( Koepka also?) and none of them are on Callaways staff.
When your big guys are Xander and Rahm, you’re not moving any needles. You put any of the guys I just mentioned, or Rickie Fowler out there, and nobody is following Xander and Rahm over them.

But Spieth is not consistent with the Driver. He looks terrible at times with it. I mean, it's puzzling how bad he is at times, even recently, with the Driver.

It's early in the season for Callaway. And we're talking Driver, right?

But Spieth is not consistent with the Driver. He looks terrible at times with it. I mean, it's puzzling how bad he is at times, even recently, with the Driver.

It's early in the season for Callaway. And we're talking Driver, right?
Edit, no need to basically repeat the post you quoted.
What does how Spieth is hitting his driver have to do with the amount of buzz he creates?

Go back and take a look...
We were, but then someone mentioned that it seemed like there wasn’t a lot of excitement about this new driver release. That was followed by a post saying Xander was creating a buzz with his new Epic driver.
My point was a guy like him doesn’t move the needle.
I listed a few guys who do. Spieth is one of them. So is DJ, JT, Rickie, Bryson and maybe Koepka.
I would argue only one in that list “moves the needle” when it comes to equipment.

Go back and take a look...
We were, but then someone mentioned that it seemed like there wasn’t a lot of excitement about this new driver release. That was followed by a post saying Xander was creating a buzz with his new Epic driver.
My point was a guy like him doesn’t move the needle.
I listed a few guys who do. Spieth is one of them. So is DJ, JT, Rickie, Bryson and maybe Koepka.

While I am not sold on Xander moving the needle, Spieth as a needle mover for equipment leaves a little to be desired. Great guy and solid for the game, but doesn't have his equipment logo on himself or his bag. If he moved the needle as well as being stated, Titleist would be much more successful in iron or wood sales the last two releases.

Players that move the needle are the ones that are visible on the weekends with the largest audience.

Spieth creates buzz about Spieth. Bryson creates buzz about equipment. The rest in that list fall somewhere in between.

Spieth creates buzz about Spieth. Bryson creates buzz about equipment. The rest in that list fall somewhere in between.
Totally agree with this.

While I am not sold on Xander moving the needle, Spieth as a needle mover for equipment leaves a little to be desired. Great guy and solid for the game, but doesn't have his equipment logo on himself or his bag. If he moved the needle as well as being stated, Titleist would be much more successful in iron or wood sales the last two releases.

Players that move the needle are the ones that are visible on the weekends with the largest audience.
Up nail the last few weeks, I’d have agreed with you about Spieth, I’d forgotten how popular he was. He has star quality, and that’s “buzz”.
I’m with you that he probably doesn’t drive sales of Titleist clubs very much (nobody does)but he’s been the poster boy for Under Armour Golf.

I agree, but Buzz is buzz right?

Up nail the last few weeks, I’d have agreed with you about Spieth, I’d forgotten how popular he was. He has star quality, and that’s “buzz”.
I’m with you that he probably doesn’t drive sales of Titleist clubs very much (nobody does)but he’s been the poster boy for Under Armour Golf.
But how many outside of Texas are running out to buy UA because of Spieth?

But how many outside of Texas are running out to buy UA because of Spieth?

Based on current market share (at retail stores) 6.3% of the golfers are buying UA shirts. .4% behind PUMA and .9% behind Travis. Well behind Nike and adidas and FJ.
As he returns to form (and I think he will), that might go up a tad.

Not really much to do with this thread however, although maybe a driver change would help him hit a damn fairway haha.

Totally agree with this.
Titleist will run 30 ball ads for every club ad. Nobody on tour creates buzz about their equipment.
Granted it not the same as clubs, but Spieth had/has enough star quality to be the poster boy for UA golf. The camera loves the guy, so do announcers and fans. Hence, buzz,

Titleist will run 30 ball ads for every club ad. Nobody on tour creates buzz about their equipment.
Granted it not the same as clubs, but Spieth had/has enough star quality to be the poster boy for UA golf. The camera loves the guy, so do announcers and fans. Hence, buzz,
Buzz for Spieth, not the clothes.

Back on topic though....

The Max LS is a must hit for me. Naked only though...so trade in time? :oops:

Based on current market share (at retail stores) 6.3% of the golfers are buying UA shirts. .4% behind PUMA and .9% behind Travis. Well behind Nike and adidas and FJ.
As he returns to form (and I think he will), that might go up a tad. Maybe.

Not really much to do with this thread however, although maybe a driver change would help him hit a damn fairway haha.
Do you think Spieth slumping the last few years had an effect on that?

Buzz for Spieth, not the clothes.
When he signed with UA it was a great signing for them. It put them on the golf map.

Back on topic though....

The Max LS is a must hit for me. Naked only though...so trade in time? :oops:

In other news, Club Champion fitting is tomorrow. No snow can hold us down! (Sorry, the whole South)

Do you think Spieth slumping the last few years had an effect on that?
I would say their uninspiring designs have more an effect on that.

We have a great thread on Jordan Spieth in the tour section that this stuff seems perfect for. It can be found here.

I’m not even a big Spieth fan, I only brought this up in response to the post saying Xander Schauffele was creating buzz with the new Epic driver..
And that started a momentary buzz around here, ;)
It’s all good now though, we’ve moved on to talking about whether Jman gets a naked driver or not!

Back