Aging, Ego, and Tees

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
A thread on this forum got me thinking about aging, our egos, and the tees we play. There are no tees anyone "should" play, that said there are tees that are more commensurate with our ability. I am in my mid-60s and moved up to the senior tees and instead of hitting fairway woods into par 4's I am hitting irons. Golfers such as Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf have encouraged people to move up.

Everyone is chasing distance these days. For many golfers it's a bit of a fools errand, and instead of chasing distance...especially as we get older...moving up a tee box or two would solve that problem. I remember when irons were considered scoring clubs, now they have become distance clubs...add half an inch, strengthen the lofts and people think they are hitting their 7-iron much longer than their old one. I am waiting for an OEM to come out with a putter promising 20 more feet of roll.

A quick story. Went to one of the local muni's and was paired with a 2some and a single. We were all around the same age. One of the guys in the 2some asked me what tees I was playing and I said the senior tees. In a stentorian voice he said, "We play the blue tees." The single asked, "You're really playing the senior tees?" and I said, "Yeah, I am a senior and don't hit the ball all that far anymore." You could see him struggling with his decision and finally he opted to join me on the senior tees...he said he always played the blue tees.

When all was said and done, the "blues" brothers barely broke 100. The single who joined me was so excited. He said it was the lowest round he ever shot, the first time he hit "x" green in regulation, the first time he used an iron on a number of greens, etc. He profusely thanked me and said it was the most fun he ever had playing golf.

I guess the moral of the story is (for me anyway), golf is a game and is supposed to be fun. The game is hard enough as it is, why do we allow our egos to make it even more difficult? Plus, ultimately the game is about how many, not how far. In any case, if you are struggling with distance, maybe try moving up a tee box or two? You may find the game more enjoyable.

I moved up to the senior tees, when I saw Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus on TV recommending it. About 15 years ago and you are right it makes the game fun again.

Last edited:
Some friends and I have very recently started moving up a set on one course, and probably half the holes on another course to bring the yardage more in line with the course we play our normal game at. The course we moved up a tee the whole way around is a ton more fun to play.

I bounce between yellow/white on my home course. Never the blue tips.
It is awesome that he had such a fun time and has found that the game is more enjoyable from an appropriate tee. Hopefully the other 2 saw that and will move off the tips.

I should play the back tees on most every local course. Conservative 5i carry is 205-if I hit it well.

I don’t. I often play the one ups unless someone in my group is playing back. It’s all about where courses make up the yardage. One local course makes it up on the 3’s. It a total new ball game when you have to carry 220 and it’s 229 to the pin than it is as a carry 130 139 to pin.

One sucks with water front and OB left right and long.

Plus I didn’t have a 225 into wind club that day. I coulda and shoulda took a swing with the 3w+. As steep as it is behind that green it might have come back anyways. Ended up hitting 4h a groove too high. Landed it about 219 out. Splash.

Guy I’m playing against (I’ll leave out names
To protect the innocent @Hamfist ) hits it onto front rocks and it bounces to the back of the green, but it starts feeding straight at the hole.

From my view it went in. From there’s they could tell it was s not short.

I concede the hole (on a day I was 80%+ getting up and down inside 100 yards). I shouldn’t have, let’s just leave it at that.

I am 69 and have been playing the "senior" tees for about 4 years.I have found that I enjoy the round much more,since I can hit into most greens on par fours with a mid to short iron instead of FW or hybrid.Where it really helps me is long Par 3s.I can hit iron or hybrid instead of 3 wood or 5 wood.The group I play with vary in age from 60-71 and our distances are similar.The scoring differences come from short game and course management decisions.

I agree you need to play the tees you have fun playing. None of us make a living at this and you should have fun and not be frustrated. If the guys shooting 100 from the blues had fun and played quickly then good for them also.

For me I think it is more about ability than age. If someone is crushing drives at 70 and in the fairway the senior tees might be an issue.

I am a senior, but I can play regular white or senior tees depending on how my swing is that day and the scores are about the same. I do know that the longer tees tend to fatigue me more. Sometimes it depends on the course layouts too.

Our senior tees, are also the women's tees. Even though there's less than 10 yards difference between the whites/reds, this brings one's "male ego" into play.

Our senior/super senior tournaments use the whites, so there's that.

I will play from what ever tees the group I'm with wants to play.....on my home course. There's just not that much difference between the tees.

I think where using the right tees becomes important is on courses that have tee boxes spread out from 5500 yards to 7400 yards. The next question is how many times do we play this type of course? Me, maybe 10% of my rounds, and I play the tees closest to my home course's yardage.

Turning 65 next month. Currently playing the white tees which typically ranges between 6000 and 6300 yds on my club's two courses. Even at that yardage, there are par 4's that require hybrid or even fairway wood approaches depending upon the wind. Also, playing in the winter months between cold and wind, the ball just doesn't seem to go like it does in the summer months. The white tees are plenty of a challenge. No need to make it even harder by moving to further back tee boxes. My typical response at the first tee is that I am playing white tees. You can play whichever tees you want to play from.

I have to wonder how many that play from the tips, so “we can see the whole course” , keep an index.I’m 63. I like to play 5800-6000 yards.....depending on the layout. I also maintain an index and understand all my scores are properly accounted for regardless of which tee I play.

I'm surprised that nearly every poster has used the term "senior's" tees or " women's tees". I called them "women's tees" once a few years ago playing with a female and nearly got my head bit off who corrected me to "forward tees".

Gents, call them the "forward tees", "back tees", or red, white or purple, whatever. It's the only way to help with the stigma and to get folks the right ones for their pleasure. I play course every once in a while that has put the blue tees at the front, red at the back, probably for that reason. Our local munis are putting in Green tees as more forward than the reds, another local course has put in black tees as the most forward.

I just turned 70. I will probably play the red (second from most forward) tees on a couple of the courses I play regularly this year and sometimes on other courses. I and a number of the guys in my (ahem) seniors league hope at least one of those two courses rates a red/white combo that was in the works for 2020 before Covid hit.

At 66 yrs, I want to play 6500 yrd tees and have worked to make the swing more efficient and picked up speed where I can put driver out there from 230-250 on a consistent basis.

But still that leaves me with a 5 wd, 4H or 5i on 420-450 par 4's. Too many and it's a challenge.

Depending on my swing, I will go to 6200 yrds. Makes it more enjoyable. More birdie opportunities.

So it depends. I will go to Senior tees to test my shorter iron game. If you play the same course, this gives you different options.

I'm the youngest in the group of regulars I play with at a relatively short course. Tips out at just under 6500 yards which we never play. I started out playing with them thru my father-inlaw. He doesn't get out much anymore due to health reasons. We always encouraged him to move up a box and when he finally did he enjoyed the rounds so much more. He could reach fairways even with below average shots and generally was playing shots back in the areas where the rest of us would be.

Now one of the guys just hit 64 and he's lost some distance but mostly just doesn't have the consistent length he once had. Another guy has never been long but is now late 50's sometimes really struggles off the tee. Other guys we play with are around their ages but are even less consistent.

Anyways, with the course being not terribly long, there has been some discussion about them moving me back on a couple holes, and that seems reasonable. The par 5's aren't really short, but some of the par 3's & 4's are so I think we'll work out some agreement for me to play some combination of tee's for competitive purposes. And it may only be a couple holes at the most...

I started playing when I turned 50, so I never had the feeling like many of you, who have been playing a lot longer and hit the ball a mile in your younger years, of losing considerable distance. So for me ego doesn't really enter in to it. I have nothing to prove and don't really care what other people think regarding what tees I play. I know for some people the latter is a concern and keeps them from moving up.

A big part of the game for me is also the exercise (I walk 99% of my rounds), being outside for a few hours soaking up some sun and getting some fresh air, as long as the camaraderie. So golf fills a variety of different things for me. Ultimately though it is about enjoying myself, and I find more enjoyment playing tees commensurate with my abilities.

I have to wonder how many that play from the tips, so “we can see the whole course” , keep an index.I’m 63. I like to play 5800-6000 yards.....depending on the layout. I also maintain an index and understand all my scores are properly accounted for regardless of which tee I play.

Quite often I play as a single and the rules of golf as far as tee boxes disappear. They’ll have mapped out their best way around the course. I typically play their tees. I can’t post it if it’s a combo. I’m playing true to my HC right now. We shall see in a couple months.

Great thread! I turn 65 in May and since I started playing the game, have played from the white tees. My home course (North Kingstown Golf Course) is a par 70 at 5,800 yards from the white tees, which I still find a reasonable distance, although I do not hit the ball long enough to reach most of the par 4s and the two par 5s in regulation.

My Friday night league allows players who are 65 at the start of the season to choose to play the courses gold tees, making the course 5,200 yards (the red tees are at 5,000). Although I am not planning to switch this year, I can definitely see it coming. This will be OK because as several have noted, the point is to have fun.

Years ago my family were social members at a nearby private club (Quidnessett) , which included monthly playing privileges. Once I was paired with a member who had 2-guests from another area private course and at the first tee they were setting up to play from the blues. We were told that at their club "the men play from the blues". Our member pointed out that from the blues QCC is over 7,000 yards long and that we would play the whites, which, as it turned out, are as long as the blues at the guests' club. We ended up having a much better day by playing the course at a length appropriate to our abilities, a lesson that I have not forgotten.

I'll be 67 this Fall and I'm still working. I'm lucky to be healthy enough to walk our 2 80 pound choc labs twice a day for 7 miles (it's like a Bowflex workout). Everyday I also do a 20 minute J&J workout in addition to 20 minutes of Tai Chi..eating well, getting enough sleep.
Fighting Father Time every day. I hope they card me when I get my vaccine because I dont look it.
Tees?
I'll play blues/whites whatever my group wants..
I've concentrated and worked on my accuracy and that's is a huge help if I give up some yards on the drive..
Not driving for show, but putting for dough..

I started playing when I turned 50, so I never had the feeling like many of you, who have been playing a lot longer and hit the ball a mile in your younger years, of losing considerable distance. So for me ego doesn't really enter in to it. I have nothing to prove and don't really care what other people think regarding what tees I play. I know for some people the latter is a concern and keeps them from moving up.

A big part of the game for me is also the exercise (I walk 99% of my rounds), being outside for a few hours soaking up some sun and getting some fresh air, as long as the camaraderie. So golf fills a variety of different things for me. Ultimately though it is about enjoying myself, and I find more enjoyment playing tees commensurate with my abilities.
You nailed it for me, been playing for just 2 year's and will be turning 58 in May. I've never been a long hitter and with my broken body will quite possibly never be one. Play most of my rounds from the whites (6200-5700 depending on course) and am more than happy there. Golf is a game I learned right off has no place for ego, someone can always hit longer off the tee and even the best can choke from 10 yds. off the green. Just enjoy the company and being out in mother nature! 😎

There's an interesting disconnect here between tee distances and ego. I don't know if they're just raised (within golf) differently or something, but I almost never see anyone stretch themselves out here. If anything, it's the opposite. Even at courses that aren't very long, it's incredibly rare to see people of any age playing from the back tees, and older guys seem to want to start as close as they can. My older friends basically operate ego and stigma free on this. Most other places they seem to act as apologists about it a bit, but here I think the ego lies more in the number on the card than the tees it was made from.

You nailed it for me, been playing for just 2 year's and will be turning 58 in May. I've never been a long hitter and with my broken body will quite possibly never be one. Play most of my rounds from the whites (6200-5700 depending on course) and am more than happy there. Golf is a game I learned right off has no place for ego, someone can always hit longer off the tee and even the best can choke from 10 yds. off the green. Just enjoy the company and being out in mother nature! 😎

Exactly. One thing I do is work very hard on my short game. The great thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so, and it can be a real stroke saver.

Exactly. One thing I do is work very hard on my short game. The great thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so, and it can be a real stroke saver.
I strive to play old man boring golf! Down the middle and beat them around the green!

I wish my father-in-law would move up tees. He's 76, used to be a scratch golfer about 30 years ago and absolutely refuses to move up tees, then gets all pissed off because it takes 2 to 3 shots to get to my drive. I just don't see how that is any fun.

I wish my father-in-law would move up tees. He's 76, used to be a scratch golfer about 30 years ago and absolutely refuses to move up tees, then gets all pissed off because it takes 2 to 3 shots to get to my drive. I just don't see how that is any fun.

I have seen that a few times on my home course. One gentleman in particular refuses to move up, though his son encourages him too, and a good drive for him goes about 160, if that.

Back