I would keep it pretty simple. Stick with what I know. I'd get the closest profile to what's in my bag and rock it!

I'd go with Players Cavity - that is where I'm most easily comfortable. To me that includes hollow bodies like the new Apex Pro that have more of an overall control than pure distance intent. I don't care how its built so much as what it does. Do we still call Apex Pro a Player's Cavity even though its hollow?

That name Players Cavity feels antique. I propose "Player Performance" sitting between Player Distance and MB.

I'd just be thankful to be included. I'd choose based off of the trajectory of the last few releases and be thankful for having an amazing experience, meeting great people and getting gear!

Hollow body.... can't go wrong for my game so it would be a fairly easy choice... not to say I wouldn't be pining to see and know more about what was offered.

I'm having trouble with hollow body as a category. That is a construction.

Categories...?
  • MB
  • Players (Control? Performance?)
  • Players Distance
  • Game Improvement
  • Max Improvement
  • Other?

Constructions
  • One Piece (Forged, Cast etc.
  • Plate (reduced thickness / enhanced material) Face
  • Cup Face
  • Hollow Body
Thoughts?

I am probably going players cavity if that is the case. I tend to not like most of the GI clubs. Anyway you look at it if THP is involved it would be awesome regardless.

Let's say you were selected for a THP Experience and every participant gets new clubs (like most of them :D). The problem is, you know the brand, but the clubs are not out yet and you must choose. You have an idea of what they have released in the past, but going in blind completely with looks, etc.

How would you choose knowing only a category that they fall into like muscle back, players cavity and/or hollow body?

Tough choice or easy to decide?
Easy choice for me. I'd go with muscle backs sight, unseen. I'm assuming they would match my swing specs.

Categories...?
  • MB
  • Players Distance
  • Game Improvement
  • Max Improvement
  • Other?

Constructions
  • Cup Face
  • Hollow Body
Thoughts?
Hollow bodies, and players distance before them have definitely thrown a wrench in the categories.

Last edited:

Categories...?
  • MB
  • Players Distance
  • Game Improvement
  • Max Improvement
  • Other?

Constructions
  • Cup Face
  • Hollow Body
Thoughts?
While I agree take a look at the last Mizuno MP line as an example.

fwiw I don’t believe in categories at all, as I think they are too blended now and have said that for a number of years.

Categories...?
  • MB
  • Players Distance
  • Game Improvement
  • Max Improvement
  • Other?

Constructions
  • Cup Face
  • Hollow Body
Thoughts?
I was afraid to ask this question on categories after my initial statement that it would be easy blind with categories.

Google not knowing the difference between players cavity and players distance didn't help.

I would choose based on category, and it would be an easy choice for me. The spirit of THP is giving something a fair try, and people are constantly surprised by going outside of the box around here. So why not brace it?

If they would be my only set for the next decade, players cavity, easy choice. If they become a second set, muscle backs for ball striking motivation and something a bit different, I still can’t get fully comfortable with hollow bodies

I would definitely go hollow body, just because I have really wanted a set but right now they are just way outside of my budget.

I was afraid to ask this question on categories after my initial statement that it would be easy blind with categories.

Google not knowing the difference between players cavity and players distance didn't help.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, and I have some good company! I might have had to bring up Google too. :skywalker:

Honestly for my skill level I could do it and most likely wouldn't make much of a difference; However, if im parting with the $500-2k, I'm not sure I could spend the money without hearing any info or seeing pics of them( Not that pictures would make a difference to me).

Most forgiving FTW

Honestly for my skill level I could do it and most likely wouldn't make much of a difference; However, if im parting with the $500-2k, I'm not sure I could spend the money without hearing any info or seeing pics of them( Not that pictures would make a difference to me).
Most of our THP Experiences do cost about $500 but I’m this hypothetical, that includes the blind clubs, a weekend of golf, lodging, food, drinks, etc. 😀

..........you had me at "Experiences" I'm in.

Didn't know this even existed, but if it includes a weekend of golfing beverages, and clubs, i would say h#$$ yeah.

This sounds very fun!!

I’m going with Players Cavity based on my last two sets of irons. I think selecting clubs this way adds a whole new level of excitement!!

I’m in!

Let's say you were selected for a THP Experience and every participant gets new clubs (like most of them :D). The problem is, you know the brand, but the clubs are not out yet and you must choose. You have an idea of what they have released in the past, but going in blind completely with looks, etc.

How would you choose knowing only a category that they fall into like muscle back, players cavity and/or hollow body?

Tough choice or easy to decide?

Oh heck yes. New clubs are always fun. Not matter the category.
While I have a preference in what I would choose or buy, I love trying whatever is out there. It’s the fun of new stuff!!

Hollow body, of the three examples given.

If 'game improvement' is on the list, it's much easier. :p

Somewhat doable. Knowing the qualities of what is good for your game would be ample to choose.

This could be challenging. Of the 3 categories listed in the OG post, I could potentially be happy with any of them. Companies are putting out great clubs that defy category stereotypes. But if all I had to use was a category to pick, I would lean towards a players cavity back. That’s been a happy place for me with irons.

Back