2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
started on a keto-ish food plan around the holidays and while it’s helped, i think perhaps the biggest change has been i quit drinking about a month ago (I’m a beer only guy). Certainly didn’t help my waistline, blood pressure, etc.... and definitely wasn’t doing anything positive for my home life... and that needed to change. My weight has dropped from an all time high of about 206 (before Christmas) to 184 as of today. I’m 5’ 9” so, while BMI is still tickling the overweight category, I’m a lot closer to where i should be. Hoping my next visit with the doc yields some additional positive results. Good luck to all in their weight loss challenge.... wishing you much success.

Do i miss a frosty one now and then?.... yeah...
Keep on trucking! Great job so far!

Bizarre for sure. Maybe it will make it easier to not crave foods?🤷‍♂️

Right now it makes it worse, because I crave it, eat it, but don’t taste it, so the cravings get worse. I have been learning to not bother giving into them because it’s pointless. But as someone who enjoys food, both healthy and unhealthy, it’s super annoying that I pretty much can’t taste any of it. The joy of eating is gone.

Right now it makes it worse, because I crave it, eat it, but don’t taste it, so the cravings get worse. I have been learning to not bother giving into them because it’s pointless. But as someone who enjoys food, both healthy and unhealthy, it’s super annoying that I pretty much can’t taste any of it. The joy of eating is gone.

I want to add to this by saying the worst part of this all, and what’s really been the biggest issue with eating well is that I have no motivation to try and create healthy dishes. That used to be my favorite thing, coming up with healthy dishes from what I had in the house. But there’s no motivation to do that when I can’t taste it to see if it actually tastes good.

I need to get back on track starting Monday. I was doing pretty good but the last two weeks I have been jammed at work, not working out enough and stuffing my pie hole. I have gained about 5 pounds and I really want to go the other direction.

So far, I really like it. It's definitely one heck of a workout. I've never used a rower before, so this was eye-opening for me.

I have had one issue already, but it's relatively minor. We have the iFit subscription, and one of the options there is to just do a manual workout without one of their training videos. While doing one of those Monday night, I stopped to do some other stuff. When I came back to resume my workout, it suddenly wasn't tracking my distance rowed. Some online searching discovered this is a known issue, and a simple power cycle resets it. Annoying, but not a deal breaker by any means. Computers, you know.

Our screen adjusts up and down, and side to side. The up and down is handy, as I'm 6' and my Wife is just under 5'2". Our space is kind of small (enclosed porch on our walkout basement, so the side to side is less important. We do the off machine stuff on mats we have directly behind it.

It seems NordicTrack and ProForm are sister companies manufactured by the same parent company. I didn't know that. Are you liking the R10? Looks just like the RW600/700.
This is my first time with a rower as well. I'm really liking it so far. Definitely feel like I'm getting something from it and hoping that the movement will help strengthen my back since I just sit all day at a desk.

I'm liking the R10 a lot so far. I will say that the reason that we ended up going with the Pro-Form is because it was 3 years of iFit included as opposed to 1 year with the NordicTrack. Otherwise we were going to go with the one you have. The screen on ours moves up and down, but we were hesitant to go fixed side-side because of the off machine workouts. It's been ok so far and probably one less thing to mess with since I tend to tinker. The screen size is ok on it. I would like a little bit bigger like you have on the RW600.

Have fun with it! I'm enjoying it so far and have really enjoyed the competitive aspect of it with the leaderboard. Makes me want to push that much harder.

I will say that the reason that we ended up going with the Pro-Form is because it was 3 years of iFit included as opposed to 1 year with the NordicTrack.

Somehow, my Wife was able to negotiate a two year extention for the price of one year. She's a pitbull when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Lost it this past week. Need to get back on track.

Its not going well for me. This morning I was back to my pre-thankgiving weight, which is good. Finally lost the holiday weight...but it's been a rough couple of weeks. Been really down lately, some depression. I just ate a bag of taco bell lol.

So, a year ago I was told I was pre diabetic. Went to a nutritionist, now just about 51 weeks later, down 90 lbs, want to lose 10 more though I don't have to. My wife has lost about 40.

Feel better than I have in 20 years.

Work out about 2 hours a session, 4 times a week. Work on my golf swing and putting for about 30 minutes the other days.

Mostly stretching and a lot of cardio and core and some weight training.

The diabetes scared me straight, having a partner to do it with helps, but really until you commit to it, it's tough to stay motivated.

Lots of protein, minimal carbs,some good carbs, veggies, limited fats, some fruit some veggies.

It's learning to eat well all over again.

Cheers and good luck, happy to share any tips I can with anyone who wants them.

Down 11 lbs since the start of the year. No specific dieting just mainly running.

Its not going well for me. This morning I was back to my pre-thankgiving weight, which is good. Finally lost the holiday weight...but it's been a rough couple of weeks. Been really down lately, some depression. I just ate a bag of taco bell lol.

Right there with you! My biggest thing is that I need to stop dwelling on what I did/ate earlier and make the next snack/meal a good one.

Somehow, my Wife was able to negotiate a two year extention for the price of one year. She's a pitbull when it comes to that kind of stuff.
That's awesome! I need to enlist her bartering services it seems, lol!

So, a year ago I was told I was pre diabetic. Went to a nutritionist, now just about 51 weeks later, down 90 lbs, want to lose 10 more though I don't have to. My wife has lost about 40.

Work out about 2 hours a session, 4 times a week. Work on my golf swing and putting for about 30 minutes the other days.

The diabetes scared me straight, having a partner to do it with helps, but really until you commit to it, it's tough to stay motivated.

Lots of protein, minimal carbs,some good carbs, veggies, limited fats, some fruit some veggies.

Congratulations to you and your wife. Unreal you did it together. And your health is in check. Very cool.

Getting on track has been such a struggle for me, a big reason for that is because since about early November I haven't had much sense of taste. It's not COVID, it's allergies, but it's making things difficult for eating well. I'm either just eating for a texture at this point, or I eat everything trying to chase the flavor I want, but can't taste.

My sense of taste isn't completely gone, just extremely diminished. Sweet and bitter are most distinct, but really only for the first few seconds it hits my mouth. This struggle is real!
I had food allergies in my 20's which was long ago. In my 50's I had polyps removed in my nasal cavity. It helped a lot with the taste of foods.
I still have your issues. I grew up in Ky and traveled a ton for work in Tn. They are not friendly states for folks with allergies.

Someone earlier said something about making better choices. I've been at it a year, so if I may, that is exactly correct.

My nutritionist said if you mess up a meal, correct on the next one. If you know you're going out to eat, try not to stray too far, and prep by eating less of what you have for that day, fewer fats perhaps, or pass on the carbs. Save those for the dining out meal.

Worst case start over inn the next meal, not the next day.

As to choices, I try to grab a fruit or a pickle depending inn the want salt/sweet. I will do water or add a mio flavor to it.

On that, be sure to get the water in every day. I do 5 to 6 12-16 ounce glasses a day.

Anyway, better choices... Nailed it, and when we blow it, stint dwell on it, Regroup and move forward.

Cheers

Awesome to hear! It's amazing how many diseases/illnesses are related to being overweight. I'm making a real effort this year to eat healthier and make it a permanent lifestyle change. So far, so good. Down below 193 for the first time since ...I don't know when. 16 pounds lighter since I started in January.

I don't really need to lose any weight. I'm 5'9", and a few years back, when I got to 205lbs, I decided I needed to do something, and I knew exactly what I needed to do! I had always been very active and athletic, but I had devolved into the guy who always had a 2 liter of Coke in the fridge, and would fall asleep with his hand in the potato chip bag! So, I cut those out cold turkey, and the weight just fell off of me!

Then, I thought about how our Mom fed us kids when we were growing up. It was classic 1930's and 40's Home Ec menu planning. For almost every meal we would have a green salad for roughage, plus a protein, starch, and a vegetable. Plus, when the weather was nice, Mom made sure we got outside to play. This served two purposes. It kept us kids healthy being out in the fresh air, and it gave Mom some peace in the house!

These days I am 165lbs. which is only 10lbs over my HS graduating weight. At 68 years old, I don't think I'm doing too bad! In my mind, what I need to do is develop a bit more muscle tone and a little mass. I have a reconstructed ACL in my right knee that was done long ago, not long after the surgical technique was first developed! I've lost a lot of muscle mass in my right quad, and I think more would do me, and my golf swing, some good!

Eating habits haven’t been great the last week, but had a strong day today starting with breakfast. Back up over 140 and accompanying a strong fitness routine I could be in a good position to make some gains.

A bit of a “stuck at home due to ice and snow” backslide this week. Up to 247. Honestly, that’s not as bad as I expected so I’m not mad about it.

It’s time to refocus and get back on the good foot.

... I had devolved into the guy who always had a 2 liter of Coke in the fridge, and would fall asleep with his hand in the potato chip bag! So, I cut those out cold turkey, and the weight just fell off of me!
Yeah, the sugary soft drinks are definitely fitness killers. I tried the Atkins Diet several years ago. During the "induction phase," stopping all carbs was a bear. The part that surprised me most was the headaches and general bad feelings at first, until I realized I was going through caffeine and sugar withdrawals. I was addicted to Dr Pepper! Crazy. I still like that garbage, but have cut way back on it since then.

To be honest, all sodas diet or not are less than great for a diet, any diet. I've gotten to just water or seltzer. I do add mio flavor once or twice a day, food electrolytes and vitamins, post workout. And I'm not averse to an occasional soda. I've just heard and read to msn bad things.

Basically anything we like is bad for us. No surprise there.

Yeah, the sugary soft drinks are definitely fitness killers. I tried the Atkins Diet several years ago. During the "induction phase," stopping all carbs was a bear. The part that surprised me most was the headaches and general bad feelings at first, until I realized I was going through caffeine and sugar withdrawals. I was addicted to Dr Pepper! Crazy. I still like that garbage, but have cut way back on it since then.

To be honest, I never could stomach Dr.Pepper, it tasted weird to me. But I seriously loved Coke! Not Pepsi! Coke! Pepsi was too sweet! Coke was just right. It is thus we establish our habits!

After throwing my back out for a second time in 3 months, I finally have started making some progress. MRI scheduled and it sounds like another radio frequency ablation in my future. But, first, doing what I can to get stronger to hit the ground running this spring. My back was finally the motivation I’ve been looking for to make some changes. Down 12 pounds and feeling stronger already.

1613871454172.jpeg

So far this year I am down almost 40 pounds in the last 45 days. Sticking to 12-1500 calories a day and minimal carbs. Not eliminating them completely but logging everything I eat in myfitnesspal and tracking very closely. I'm sure my weight loss will slow down as my body adjusts but this is all being done with virtually no exercise since it is super cold here and no really opportunities to get out and be active.

I still have a long way to go to where I want to be and it is still hard to not eat all of the things I want to eat. I don't think I have a real end goal other than just teaching myself different eating habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back