Are you open minded to smaller companies?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I’m curious on this one, where do you stand when it comes to smaller companies? Are you interested in their releases? If there is buzz do you seek them out? Are they non starters for you no matter what?

I like this one because each of our definitions of smaller can vary based on our own perception. Could be a fun convo!

Every successful company started out small. I'm interested in anything that will improve my game at a good value. $427 for a single iron? Probably not. $427 for a driver or putter? I'm listening.

To some extent I am. But, a lot of my perception is based on past reputation and previous experiences. I like to keep an eye on all OEMs releases. But, there would likely need to be a ton of buzz to get me really interested. And, they’d have to be available to try before I buy.

• Staff
My answer, it’s something I’ve worked very hard on breaking myself of, having a preconception about smaller brands that is.

My idea of smaller though is anything outside of the giants in a respective club segment, so it’s a moving target as to what is “smaller” and what isn’t.

For example, Srixon is IMO a big name in golf balls, but in metalwoods I’d class them as smaller.

I will try absolutely anything that looks interesting. Don't care about how big the company is.
Before I took a break from golf, I was almost exclusively using component companies. Not a ton of OEM in the bag, but then again I enjoyed the whole club building thing back then.

As far as balls and such, yes I'm open to the DTC companies. As far as clubs, if they are just rehashing/badging with no R&D, I'm not interested. I like a company to be vested in their products and strive to improve them for the benefit of the consumer.

Oh yeah. I was 100% all in on a set of Sub70 irons. Until I built them the way I wanted and the base went from $500 to over $1000.

I have and most likely will use a set of Hogan PTx Pros. I have to get them on actual grass to make sure the turf interaction is what I think it’ll be,

I also have to have a repeatable swing when I’m testing out some PXG’s. I’ll probably be better off with them, but hit them horribly my only session (not clubs fault, I couldn’t hit anything).

I remember when this new company introduced the first oversized metal wood. Previously, Yonex had brought an oversize graphite headed oversize driver that we all enjoyed, but this new oversize metal wood took the golf world by storm. This little company was Callaway, of course.

I remember Orlimar, and other new, innovative companies that came along. I love to support the underdog and if I hear about something really good, I am all for giving it a shot.

I think in general I don't mind smaller at all, but I expect them to bring something to the table that's different. Either be cheaper, be unique, be rare, be something.

I don't have much need for a small scale version of a big OEM.

I think for me willingness is tied directly to financial commitment. Balls, no problem. Accessories, sure. Good looking wedge, if you're not trying to get rich on it okay. Start getting beyond that and like @radiman said, without reputation or experience backing you up, I'm probably gonna need a real good recommend from someone(s) I trust, or a heck of a lot of hype to take the risk.

I think in general I don't mind smaller at all, but I expect them to bring something to the table that's different. Either be cheaper, be unique, be rare, be something.

That’s a great point. Can’t just do what everyone else is doing but I’m a smaller scale. Well put.

I think a lot of smaller companies make really good golf equipment. It just depends on if you can get your hands on them to try them and if you intend to play them a long time.

Tom Wishon is a fantastic club builder. His clubs are as good as anybody. I had a set of Rifle shafted (before True Temper bought them) cavity back forged irons that were the best blend of traditional sized irons/forgiveness/soft feel that I ever played.

I remember playing as a guest at a friend's country club. I'm a public course golfer, so always feel a bit 'fish out of water' at nice private clubs. A guy we were paired with asked me about my irons. I explained what they were custom component clubs from Tom Wishon a well known club builder etc. He looked at me with the most patronizing look of 'maybe one day you can afford a set of nice clubs.'

At my current age, I wouldn't care. But at that point in my life/career I felt I needed to play more well known club. I regret selling them. The bad thing about component clubs is you take a bath when you sell them. I would have been better off keeping them around.

As someone who could not be considered a club or golf gear enthusiast, I am seldom aware that most of the smaller companies even exist. Even though I am on this site several times a day, I often skip over gear posts so even if they are mentioned in the forums, I don’t pay attention. If a product from a company fills a need I have, and it is recommended by someone I trust, I don’t care how small the company is.

What are we considering smaller companies?

like more of the DTC type or none Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, cobra, ping, mizuno?

I currently play Haywood wedges, a DTC from Canada, I really like them, they look great, and perform well, overall happy with them

tho I have to say I mainly bought them cause they were Canadian and I wanted to support a local company

This last year went w/ Artisan for wedges & Edel for putter. Smaller companies but once I researched their stories & what they offered that the bigger OEM’s don’t I was intrigued & hooked. Very impressed & so glad I did.

I think I am open to it. It just has to have the right look and feel..

I think there are segments of the bag that are easier to dip into than others. Putter, wedges. I think a small company could do something awesome in those areas easily.

The hard one would be woods. It’s hard to compete with the budgets of those big companies..

This last year went w/ Artisan for wedges & Edel for putter. Smaller companies but once I researched their stories & what they offered that the bigger OEM’s don’t I was intrigued & hooked. Very impressed & so glad I did.
I see this as smaller, yes. But, they’re kind of an bespoke category. And I’m super jealous. The Artisan experience sounds amazing.

I think this is a great, very thoughtful take on it. If they bring something interesting to the table, I’m absolutely open minded about considering them.

Two smaller companies I’m a huge supporter of are True Linkswear and Caddy Daddy. Both have products which appealed to me because of what they brought to the table, and both have highly impressed me with their quality and performance. I have zero regrets that I gave them a try.

Absolutely. If it's a good product, for a fair price, I'll give it a try.

To that end, I still game a Daito putter from time to time! The feel of it is just so good.

Let's see....In 2020 I bought an Indi Putter, Caddy Daddy Claw gloves, Steadfast shafts and some Patriot Golf Clubs. So I'm thinking I'm not very supportive of small, I think I keep them in business.....Ha

Many years ago, I bought a Plop putter and gamed it for several years. I walked in one of the local golf shops and saw their fitting machine, which was interesting because no other company had anything like that at the time. I actually wish I had kept that putter, it was pretty cool and unique.

I'm open to any brand, large or small, as long as I can get fitted before I buy. My bag is a pretty good mix of each. Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black irons, Edel wedges, P790 UDI, Scotty putter, and just ordered a Titleist TSi3 driver and TSi2 fairway metal. I'm intrigued by the new PF series irons from New Level, but it'll likely be a long time before the Hogans come out of the bag.

I’m open to it. I’m playing New Level irons at the moment. Split set and really like one half of the split. The others just seem odd to me

I played Taylor Made, Adam’s and Callaway when they were small companies. Nickent too.
I don’t see as many options that I would consider small. If I play well with it I play it.

Back